how would you deal with this?

ABSOULUTLY not trying to tell the neighbor where to park. I only mentioned his driveway in the original post because he does have a very large driveway and used to park the taxi there. Also no one else parks on the street so he has many places to park that is not next to the basketball hoop. The hoop is no where near his property. I plan to go talk to him with the boys so if there is an issue we might come up with a solution.

So your hoop is set up on your property but needs street space to be used? OP, this is on you. Everywhere we have lived, the street isn't for your basketball court. Perhaps you need to move the backboard to face your yard, not the street.

So your hoop is set up on your property but needs street space to be used? OP, this is on you. Everywhere we have lived, the street isn't for your basketball court. Perhaps you need to move the backboard to face your yard, not the street.

Totally agree with you:thumbsup2 Just surprised because there did not seem to be a problem before, the hoop has been there for six months.We have been neighbors for seven years. The only issue we have ever had is that he places his yard bags by our house, not his. Totally minor :) By the way what we are doing is very common in our area, we have seen many hoops facing the street. We are non confrontational so we will handle this without drama, But do need to vent, so thanks for listening:)

I think the OP knows he has every right to park in the street but it just seems a bit passive aggressive for him to ignore his big driveway and park way down along OP's property as if to intentionally block the basketball hoop.

Good grief, is it any wonder so many kids would prefer to just play video games inside? I just can't wrap my head around how it's offensive to someone that children are playing? Unless they keep him awake or block the street when he's driving, damaging his property, etc. I don't see the big deal. :scratchin

Sorry for the confusion:upsidedow I mentioned his driveway because he use to always park the taxi there and it is a large circular driveway. My children are not on his property ever. My dh could not even throw a ball hard enough to reach his house from were they play. This basketball hoop has a large base filled with sand to keep it stable and that is on our property, the actual hoop faces the street. The boys dribble and shoot from the street. Not sure if that helps. When the neighbor parks his car next to the base he is right under the hoop. When he gets out of his car he has to walk about the length of 4 taxis to get to the end of his driveway. I only bring this up because he could park much closer to his own home. I realize he has every right I am just surprised.

Can you move the hoop even further away from his driveway so that he can park in the same spot and have it not be int he way of your kids playing basketball? (Like if his house is to the left of yours, move the hoop even closer to the neightbors on the right?) There must be some way to avoid a confrontation.

I see your point completely. The hoop is not set up on or near the neighbor's property, nor does it impede access to his property. While we don't "own" the parking spaces directly in front of our homes, it just seems counter-intuitive to park in front of someone else's home if there are parking spaces in front of your own house. Especially if they see you have a hoop set up in that spot. So, either it's a passive-aggressive way to keep your kids from playing ball in the street, or his vehicle does leak oil and he doesn't want it messing up the aesthetics of his own property.

I hate confrontation. I would prefer to quietly see if there are rules against commercial vehicles being parked on the street. Not to be sneaky, but if you ask first and he doesn't move it, he'll definitely know it was you who called in about his vehicle afterwards.

My guess is that he doesn't like the hoop and this is his passive agressive way of stopping the kids from playing. We had a neighbor who worked 3rd shift who would do this. He started parking under our hoop even though he has 3 driveways on his property. Twice we moved the hoop, he just started parking under the new location even though that wasn't on the street we share (We're on a corner lot, he's across from the front of our house, we moved the hoop to the street on the side of our house - at one point he was parking about 200' from his house just to keep the kids from playing ball). Talking to him got us nowhere - he was very clear that he sleeps from noon until 10pm and doesn't want to hear kids playing during that time, so he would continue to strategically place his cars to interfere with the kids' games (at one point he had all three of his cars and his motorhome parked on the street while his driveways sat empty).

The neighborhood kids practically threw a party when this guy moved out.

My guess is that he doesn't like the hoop and this is his passive agressive way of stopping the kids from playing. We had a neighbor who worked 3rd shift who would do this. He started parking under our hoop even though he has 3 driveways on his property. Twice we moved the hoop, he just started parking under the new location even though that wasn't on the street we share (We're on a corner lot, he's across from the front of our house, we moved the hoop to the street on the side of our house - at one point he was parking about 200' from his house just to keep the kids from playing ball). Talking to him got us nowhere - he was very clear that he sleeps from noon until 10pm and doesn't want to hear kids playing during that time, so he would continue to strategically place his cars to interfere with the kids' games (at one point he had all three of his cars and his motorhome parked on the street while his driveways sat empty).

The neighborhood kids practically threw a party when this guy moved out.

There is no doubt in my mind that he is being passive aggressive in not wanting to hear the kids playing. My wife calls me a grumpy old man in training, :furious: ;) so I can guess where he is coming from. Kids running around playing, yelling, having fun, generally isn't that distracting to people. The sound of a basketball being dribbled can be highly annoying. It is a lot like someone driving by with the bass on their stereo turned all the way up. The only difference is the basketball doesn't stop until the kids go in. Is he being a jerk? Yes. Would he be receptive to you politely asking him to move? Probably not. Should the kids be playing in the street to begin with? No.

On days when your kids can't play basketball because of his car, give them trumpets and drums and have them practice on your property line. Loudest kid wins!

Move the hoop. The street isn't a basketball court and he can park wherever he wants, as long as it is a legal parking spot.

Basketball hoops belong in a driveway, for many reasons.

I hear where you are coming from OP and I hope you find a solution that doesn't involve being confrontational and things escalating! Threads like these make me so happy that I love on several acres of property and my boys can play ball outside whenever they want. :)

Why not take the old-fashioned approach and talk to your neighbor. Tell him that you noticed he had taken to parking his cab in this particular spot. Ask him if he has a problem with your son's playing basketball in the street. It may be deliberate on his part, it may just be that he is a bit oblivious. Try to work it out. If he is doing it on purpose to stop the basketball playing, find out what is concerning him. If he drives a cab, maybe he works odd hours and is trying to sleep when they play ball? Maybe you can agree to something that works for all of you. Hopefully he does not realize what he is doing and will just park somewhere else.

Ditto. Perhaps it's because I'm known to be oblivious, but I would not assume he's being passive aggressive unless you already have a bad relationship with him. He probably just didn't think about it. I wouldn't. Keep trying to talk to him, or perhaps leave a friendly note on the windshield.

And this seems a bit confusing
We cannot put the hoop in our driveway as it is on an incline and if a ball got loose it would go on a busy street. It has been on the side of our property for six months.

So the hoop can't be in your driveway or the ball will go into a busy street, but the kids playing basketball can be standing in the street?? I grew up in a quiet neighborhood, so I have no issues with kids playing in the street, lol, I'm just not sure I get how the street is okay for the kids, but busy if the ball got onto it?

Thought of this thread this afternoon while laying in bed w a migraine and the kid across the street started playing basketball. Boy I wanted to go move my car! :rotfl2:

We live at the end of a dead end street and the family across the street is often in the street. While basketball bounce is annoying, the kids are doing constructive stuff so I suck it up :thumbsup2

Thought of this thread this afternoon while laying in bed w a migraine and the kid across the street started playing basketball. Boy I wanted to go move my car! :rotfl2:

We live at the end of a dead end street and the family across the street is often in the street. While basketball bounce is annoying, the kids are doing constructive stuff so I suck it up :thumbsup2

I worked graveyard and slept days for 25 years. I wish the kids on our street during summer vacation would HAVE put their basketball hoop in the street, instead of over the garage door. Every bad shot hit the metal garage door............BANG!
Needless to say, I learned to sleep through it. Even slept through them putting a new roof on my house. :thumbsup2

Ditto. Perhaps it's because I'm known to be oblivious, but I would not assume he's being passive aggressive unless you already have a bad relationship with him. He probably just didn't think about it. I wouldn't. Keep trying to talk to him, or perhaps leave a friendly note on the windshield.

And this seems a bit confusing

So the hoop can't be in your driveway or the ball will go into a busy street, but the kids playing basketball can be standing in the street?? I grew up in a quiet neighborhood, so I have no issues with kids playing in the street, lol, I'm just not sure I get how the street is okay for the kids, but busy if the ball got onto it?

We are the corner house, The front of our house and driveway faces a busy street. The side of our house were the basketball hoop is, is a quieter street.:)

This is such a simple fix. Move the hoop.

Regardless of if he's oblivious, passive aggressive or a unicorn with a grudge, it makes more sense for him to argue he can park in the street than you arguing that your kids can play on the street. It's stupid, its petty but if they're playing on your property unless they're really crazy ridiculously loud, he can't do anything about it then.

I'm 28, and I get annoyed by kids in the street at certain points. I live at a dead end street that kids like to play on but the houses are very close to the road and they get very loud. It also echos like crazy here. They could go in a yard, they could go to the playground down the street. If I could do something to push them into playing elsewhere, I probably would. They also like to play in the small parking lot behind my house which is our private property. I have no hesitation hanging out a window and telling them to get a move on.

In both these situations..sure they're playing, innocently usually, getting physical activity and all that jazz but they're also still annoying. What you're experiencing could very well be the same type of issue. A bouncing basketball can be obnoxious as hell after awhile.

Kids running around playing, yelling, having fun, generally isn't that distracting to people. The sound of a basketball being dribbled can be highly annoying. .

A basketball bouncing over and over is like nails on a blackboard to me- it is right up there with "most annoying sounds". Little girl lives in the house behind me and when she has her friends over there is much screeching going on- that is FAR less annoying than a basketball to me.

You also never said what time of day your kids play or for how long. Many have said that they are bothered by basketball noise.

Maybe you could try to work out a time with him? Agree that he will keep the car in front of his house in turn for them only playing for an hour or 2 during an agreed on time of day.

He cannot work much if his cab has not moved in days.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter