How will Verizon know?

Dishonesty isn't a moral dilemma for the OP. Under her previous screen name she bragged about how she settled her CC debt for pennies on the dollar. She was quite proud of it.
But it's not just the OP. Others have chimed in saying (basically) "go for it, Verizon doesn't care".

I also agree it's dishonest. The comparison to a Florida resident pass is a valid one, IMO. Although, now that I think about it, my parents purchased Florida resident passes for my kids when we went last year. Why do I see that as different? :confused3

^^That^^

I'm amazed at how many people think it's okay to keep a discount that would no longer be valid. In my opinion, it's dishonest.

Now, if we were talking about someone getting a discount at Disney (for example, a Florida resident pass) and they weren't eligible for it, I'm sure a lot more people would think it was dishonest. Evidently, it's okay to cheat Verizon but not okay to cheat Disney. :lmao:

I know, right? It is astonishing for how cheaply some people will sell their morals.

I have had a request for documentation once during the interim of my contract. Signed up and had to show proof for my 19% discount (which is only on the original plan, not the add ons so I get 19% off the first $65 but the other $110 I still have the full shot on). I have had my contract for over 10 years and at about year 6 they asked for another copy to prove I was still entitiled to the discount. Maybe it is a random thing, but my guess is you could use your discount until they ask for documentation. I could see if you forgot you had the discount and inadvertently used it, but taking something you are not entitled to just because no one else knows better, seems wrong.

Dishonesty isn't a moral dilemma for the OP. Under her previous screen name she bragged about how she settled her CC debt for pennies on the dollar. She was quite proud of it.

She has to be a fake poster. I just cannot believe that anyone would repeatedly brag about doing stuff like this. Have some morals! And seriously, OP, if you can't even afford Verizon without the discount and to pay your credit card bills, stop going to Disney. (even though I know saying this to them is like talking to a brick wall)

Let me be clear: when I discussed with Verizon changing to my husband's discount, I told them I was no longer with my firm. They didn't care. (Thus the :confused3 in my original post.) Is there an alumni discount, I don't know, but considering I informed Verizon that I was no longer at that firm, my conscience is clear.

to the OP - even if Verizon doesn't know, you do and taking a discount you don't qualify for is dishonest in my opinion.

In my opinion, this post doesn't answer the OP's question.

I'm sure you must feel better for posting this helpful information though.

In my opinion, this post doesn't answer the OP's question.

I'm sure you must feel better for posting this helpful information though.

Let me help you out then Bob, no, Verizon won't know she's changing jobs - the OP wants "permission" or "approval" to take a discount for which she may or may not qualify and that doesn't doesn't make it right. Hey, you're right I sure DO feel better now! Thanks!:thumbsup2

Why did you post? You didn't answer the OP's question either.....

No I am not looking for "permission or approval" from anyone here. Thats a joke. What I was wondering is if Verizon will know that I have changed jobs, which I haven't yet and may or may not do. I still haven't ruled out looking at Straight Talk either. I could care less what any of you think, just wondering if anyone else has done it.

I don't think it's dishonest at all. VZ offers a 20% discount to just about half the universe. They are more than happy to keep you as a customer w/ the discount regardless, rather than lose you as a customer all together. Half the time the 20% discount isn't the best deal anyways.

They won't. I had to sign up through a computer link at my office, it wasn't personalized though. I quit my job in 2008 to be a stay at home mom, almost 4 years ago. I still get my 23% discount on my line every month. :rolleyes1 Dishonest? Yes. Do I feel guilty? Not in the slightest. I've given them so much of my money over the years with their unfair prorating system and overpriced everything.

^^That^^

I'm amazed at how many people think it's okay to keep a discount that would no longer be valid. In my opinion, it's dishonest.

Now, if we were talking about someone getting a discount at Disney (for example, a Florida resident pass) and they weren't eligible for it, I'm sure a lot more people would think it was dishonest. Evidently, it's okay to cheat Verizon but not okay to cheat Disney. :lmao:

How are they "cheating" anyone? Verizon sends them a bill, they pay it. It's up to Verizon to decide how much they want to charge people, and who gets a discount, and why, and when, etc. If the bill gives them a discount, so be it.

I think this is pretty easy. Call Verizon and explain that you will no longer be employed by company X, but you would really like to keep the discount. Is that a problem? If they say no, go with it...conscience clear. If they say sorry, then move on to Straight Talk.

I do think that the people who suggested that-- anyone looking to take a discount they weren't entitled to for a Disney vacation would be eaten alive on these boards --were absolutely correct. However, Disney is very thorough about checking to make sure you are qualified for ANY discount. The same goes for my health insurance. Before the law changed covering kids under 26, every six months we had to have the college notarize a form assuring the insurance company that they were enrolled as full-time students. Otherwise, no coverage... Companies that are very serious about their discounts (coverage, etc.) jump through hoops to make sure you are "qualified". My guess is that often these phone companies aren't that concerned about it and want to keep a customer.

How are they "cheating" anyone? Verizon sends them a bill, they pay it. It's up to Verizon to decide how much they want to charge people, and who gets a discount, and why, and when, etc. If the bill gives them a discount, so be it.

Yes, it definitely is cheating and dishonest, in my personal opinion. The OP is (or will soon be) ineligible for the discount that she is receiving. If she doesn't call Verizon to inform them of the change in her status, that is dishonest on her part. Whether or not Verizon decides to continue giving her the corporate discount after being informed of the change in employment status is an entirely different issue.

Here's another example: My son was a college student, and we were receiving a nice discount on our auto insurance because of that. He is no longer in college now. So, should I "forget" to call the insurance company so we can continue receiving that 10% discount? Or should I be honest, and call them to advise of his changed student status? Based on my responses to the OP's question, it should be pretty obvious which path I chose for our auto insurance.

I'm still rather amazed at the responses on this thread. If this person were cheating Disney by using a resident discount, misrepresenting a child's age for tickets, etc she would be raked over the coals. But being dishonest with a phone company seems to be okay with the majority of people who responded to this thread. :sad2:

Yes, it definitely is cheating and dishonest, in my personal opinion. The OP is (or will soon be) ineligible for the discount that she is receiving. If she doesn't call Verizon to inform them of the change in her status, that is dishonest on her part. Whether or not Verizon decides to continue giving her the corporate discount after being informed of the change in employment status is an entirely different issue.

Here's another example: My son was a college student, and we were receiving a nice discount on our auto insurance because of that. He is no longer in college now. So, should I "forget" to call the insurance company so we can continue receiving that 10% discount? Or should I be honest, and call them to advise of his changed student status? Based on my responses to the OP's question, it should be pretty obvious which path I chose for our auto insurance.

I'm still rather amazed at the responses on this thread. If this person were cheating Disney by using a resident discount, misrepresenting a child's age for tickets, etc she would be raked over the coals. But being dishonest with a phone company seems to be okay with the majority of people who responded to this thread. :sad2:

But just how will they be informed of it. Certainly not by me of course. I think my current employer has better things to do with their time.

But just how will they be informed of it. Certainly not by me of course. I think my current employer has better things to do with their time.
Why wouldn't you call and inform them? It's the honest thing to do. If they tell you that it's not an issue, and you can continue to receive the discount, you can live with a clear conscience.

My experience with Verizon is that they do not care whether you are still at a company that was offered a discount. They want to retain your business.

My husband's phone is on a super-cheap plan that was offered through a cellular company that doesn't even exist anymore. Verizon acquired them. In addition, I'm no longer at the company that had this employee program. SEVERAL times I have been told that as long as I don't try to make any changes to the plan (even switching it from my name to my husband's name) the original plan will be valid.

Shaking my head....I can't believe that you're BRAGGING about being dishonest. IMO, you're no better than a thief. :sad2:

I did have to show proof when I got the 23% discount with Sprint, but I asked them what would happen if I quit working there and they said, "nothing. you have this for life if you want it."

I no longer work outside the home but still have my 24% discount.

I just upped my plan. We have 3 phones with 1700 minutes (they gave me an extra 200, no idea why, I don't need it), unlimited text and data, for $150 including tax.

Dawn

i signed up with at&t in the late 90's for a cell phone plan through the company I worked for at the time...it was 15.00 a month...LOL I left the company in 2001.
My plan remained the same until last year when I needed to add a phone for my son. The plan was sooooo outdated they wouldn't honor any changes to it. So, now by bill for the 2 phones with texting/data is 100.00...ouch!

We over pay for so many things in life that others get discounts for. Verizon won't know and I would keep quiet about it. It bugs me that with cable, phone, cell phone....that people pay different rates based on their ability to negotiate different terms. The discount basically just covers the taxes. My husband lost his job, we did not update the discount, we were lucky to still be able to pay our bill.
Find out if your new company offers a discount then switch if you need to.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter