• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

How will Hanna affect next week's cruise?

we have been on three hurricane season cruises, our first was in 2000 when debra forced our virgin islands cruise into a mystery cruise situation. the folks in celebration were scrambling to get us ports to stop at, and we didn't know what we were doing the next day til that morning. they got us into cozumel, and then we were the first cruise to stop at cc for two days, we left the first day and then turned around and went right back the next day. finally they got us an afternoon at freeport. you just have to get in to a flexible mindset and take what they can arrange.

the next time we had problems was after frances in 2004, the cruise was shortened to first five days, then four. we went straight to cozumel and then back to canaveral. we left from lauderdale, fortunately we rode the cruise buses, so getting our car was not a problem. for those that did drive, i believe that dcl transported them back to their cars, so i wouldn't worry about a lot of the details until the reality hits. once final decisions are made you can ask dcl what they will do to accomodate your needs and they will let you know what they will do. if there are a lot of audibles that have to be made, then i have found them to try to take care of the passengers as much as possible.

our last time to sail in 2005, everything went well, sailed to the virgins, and cc as planned. a couple of nights and our day at cc, we did have rough seas from storms elsewhere, but it was tolerable.

my best advice to those "trying to reason with hurricane season" is just be flexible, and you may get some great stories out of it.

Hey everyone,

We are sailing on the Wonder September 11th. We live in Florida so it's kind of nerve wracking to think that our homes might be affected besides our cruise plans. I am having a go with the flow attitude, I am a little worried about rough seas, but this is the chance I took booking during hurricane season. Cruisecritic.com has alot of good information on their website about port closures and itinerary changes. Best wishes to all of you sailing. Fair winds and following seas to all.

Just got a call from the ship from my friend onboard. She said that they were told at dinner tonight that the Magic WILL dock at Nassau tomorrow afterall. She reports that the weather and conditions at Castaway Cay today were absolutely gorgeous!

She's been calling me daily so that I can move around her Comfort Suites reservation for Atlantis. She decided tonight to just cancel it altogether rather than loose the $ in case there's another change. When I called the reservation line, they said that she had to cancel by 4pm today in order to not be charged. The reservationist was very nice and offered to call the Paradise Island hotel and ask if they would "forgive" the cancellation and give her a full refund. They did. So, no money was lost and all is well.

I'm supposed to be on this ship. But due to an injury incurred by my son, we are homebound for a few more months. I'm not sure which is harder, being on the boat in the midst of a hurricane or being at home getting phone calls from the Mighty Magic. Yesterday, I could hear the cruise director talking in the background. After I hung up the phone, I cried. Pathetic, aren't I?

Just got a call from the ship from my friend onboard. She said that they were told at dinner tonight that the Magic WILL dock at Nassau tomorrow afterall. She reports that the weather and conditions at Castaway Cay today were absolutely gorgeous!

She's been calling me daily so that I can move around her Comfort Suites reservation for Atlantis. She decided tonight to just cancel it altogether rather than loose the $ in case there's another change. When I called the reservation line, they said that she had to cancel by 4pm today in order to not be charged. The reservationist was very nice and offered to call the Paradise Island hotel and ask if they would "forgive" the cancellation and give her a full refund. They did. So, no money was lost and all is well.

I'm supposed to be on this ship. But due to an injury incurred by my son, we are homebound for a few more months. I'm not sure which is harder, being on the boat in the midst of a hurricane or being at home getting phone calls from the Mighty Magic. Yesterday, I could hear the cruise director talking in the background. After I hung up the phone, I cried. Pathetic, aren't I?

Don't feel too bad, we were booked on this 5 night cruise, too. We had planned it for almost two years, had it totally PAID IN FULL...good to go (which is a difficult feat for us). In June, my DH lost his job. We had to cancel the cruise and use the money to live on. My three kids were heartbroken. My oldest is actually bummed that he won't get to be in the teen club ever again (he'll be 18 in January). Some great friends of mine are still on that cruise (whom I met on my first cruise in 2006). I watched the Magic pull away on the Port cams, my DCL glass in my hand (only not with a Rum Runner in it). I played the ship's horn, tears streaming down my face (for the umpteenth time). Misery loves company I guess. You're definitely not alone. We can be pathetic together!

Oh I am so sorry for you both!:grouphug: :sad1: I hope DS gets better soon and DH finds a new and better job so both of your families can plan another DC.

Oh I am so sorry for you both!:grouphug: :sad1: I hope DS gets better soon and DH finds a new and better job so both of your families can plan another DC.

Thank you for your kindness. I'm sure my post came off sounding like a "woe is me" sad sack. I'm really not like that, just feeling a little blue since my ship has sailed (so to speak) without me on it. :rotfl: I know there are others who have situations far more dire than ours, and that one day we'll be back on board. It's just one of those things, I guess, where you have your pity party, and move on. Thankfully, the DIS is like psuedo-therapy. ;)

Here's to better days for all of us! :goodvibes

Thank you for your kindness. I'm sure my post came off sounding like a "woe is me" sad sack. I'm really not like that, just feeling a little blue since my ship has sailed (so to speak) without me on it. :rotfl: I know there are others who have situations far more dire than ours, and that one day we'll be back on board. It's just one of those things, I guess, where you have your pity party, and move on. Thankfully, the DIS is like psuedo-therapy. ;)

Here's to better days for all of us! :goodvibes

OT - I know how you feel about DH losing his job. DH's was outsourced last year after 17 yrs, and I was pregnant and my son was going to have some issues that needed addressed once he was born (clubfoot). (notice below how perfect his left foot is now!) He had some options, was able to stay until the baby was born and treated and got another job doing the same thing at another company, making more money, and getting much more respect for his position. So, fortunately it all worked out. Good luck to you. You will sail again. We did!! :thumbsup2

OT - I know how you feel about DH losing his job. DH's was outsourced last year after 17 yrs, and I was pregnant and my son was going to have some issues that needed addressed once he was born (clubfoot). (notice below how perfect his left foot is now!) He had some options, was able to stay until the baby was born and treated and got another job doing the same thing at another company, making more money, and getting much more respect for his position. So, fortunately it all worked out. Good luck to you. You will sail again. We did!! :thumbsup2

Awesome to hear about your wonderful outcome! Conrats! Your baby is beautiful! :grouphug:

We are leaving on the 7day on september 27th, 2008 and my mom is freaking out because of the hurricanes. Has anyone been out there during a hurricane and if so, can you give me some "tips"? I so appreciate it!!

Has anyone every been on a cruise before while there was a hurricane out in the ocean? We are leaving in 23 days for our disney cruise and my mom is freaking out and I want to give her some encouragement. Anyone have any tips to share?

So appreciate it,
Carolyn

Missdisneymagic, while others have correctly pointed out that cruise lines always put safety first and will change itineraries to stay away from storms, that doesn't mean the impact of the storms (which can be far reaching) won't affect the sailing.

As example, years ago we were on a Celebrity cruise that embarked from NYC and went to/from Bermuda. On the way back, we crossed over seas that a tropical storm had passed over three days earlier. While the storm was over 300 miles north of us, its residual effect (in terms of higher than normal waves) was still present and to put it nicely barf bags were in heavy usage shipwide the last two days of the cruise.

Or put another way, you can be hundreds of miles away from a major storm and still experience clouds, precipitation and higher than normal seas . So if you want guarantees of no storm impact at all, they just don't exist during hurricane season.

MissDisneyMagic, I do not blame you for being apprehensive and concerned about sailing during a hurricane. I did not even think about hurricanes until I moved to Florida in 1994. I am sure that other disboarders will be able to tell you their expierences and what to expect. I too am sailing next week with IKE on our tails. Being a Coast Guard veteran I am expecting a little more chop in the seas, just make sure you take your bonine. I know the Captain on Wonder will do his very best to make sure we stay out of dangers way. i hope you have a magical cruise and make the best of it.

Just back from the 8/31 sailing - weather was great. It only rained in Florida the night prior to sailing.

I just came off the Wonder today. I too was worried about my day room at Comfort Suites as our Nassau day and CC day were switched around. I called Comfort Suites at the island themselves and they swapped the reservation without a problem and also told me that if for some reason we did not dock there, I could cancel without penalty. I didn't insure the cruise so I was wondering if i was going to be out the 150.00. They were incredibly nice there. Just an FYI.....

I just came off the Wonder today. I too was worried about my day room at Comfort Suites as our Nassau day and CC day were switched around. I called Comfort Suites at the island themselves and they swapped the reservation without a problem and also told me that if for some reason we did not dock there, I could cancel without penalty. I didn't insure the cruise so I was wondering if i was going to be out the 150.00. They were incredibly nice there. Just an FYI.....

Thank you! That is really great to know. I have a room at the CS booked for the Monday and Tuesday of my cruise. I will cancel one the Sat before my 4 night. Just in case DCL changes the ports again.:)

fpr those wondering about cruising during storms, we have been asea twice when hurricanes were present and once between storms.

the first was in aug of 2000, debra i believe was her name, we went on a mystery cruise for seven days. dcl was not yet doing eastern/western alternating yet, so the folks in celebration worked the best magic they could and we went to cozumel then cc for two days (a first for dcl), then an afternoon in freeport. we were never close enough to the storm for rough sailing.

in 04 we sailed on a storm shortened cruise (frances) 7 day turned into 4 day, went to cozumel and back. crossed some rough seas on the way in, because ivan was on his way. nothing traumatic just a little chop.

in 05 we did the regular eastern cruise, finally got to the virgin islands, third time was the charm, but we hit high seas in the bahamas on the way in to pc. they put out the bags on the ship but i never saw anyone need one, waves were around 20 feet. at cc the water was kind of murky and it was overcast so the snorkeling was not so good, but overall it was a good trip.

pretty much, dcl will keep you away from the hurricanes, and do the best that they can to give you a good cruise, maybe not the exact cruise that you expected, but a good cruise nevertheless.

Missdisneymagic, while others have correctly pointed out that cruise lines always put safety first and will change itineraries to stay away from storms, that doesn't mean the impact of the storms (which can be far reaching) won't affect the sailing.

[/B]

Not only the sailing can be affected, but the weather in faraway ports too. We docked in Aruba during the EB repo - far from the hurricane which was in Cuba at the time. We were dining at an outdoor restaurant for lunch. My husband commented to the waiter how perfect the weather seemd to be in Aruba. The waiter laughed and said, "Yes, the hurricane has sucked up all our wind. Normally things really blow here!" Since then, I have learned that Aruba has the reputation for being very windy, but it was still as could be when we were there! :cheer2:

We just got off the Wonder today. Thursday night out of PC was a little bit rough (several people were sick), it was windy and it rained (later in the evening). By Friday AM, it was beautiful and calm and we went to Nasau (no other ships were there). Again, Saturday was beautiful and we went to CC, althoug we got off about 30 minutes late because CM were still cleaning up the island from Hanna. The seas were a little bit rough late last night. Otherwise, all went perfectly and we had a great trip. I was a little worried about the storms and getting to MCO, but we had absolutely no trouble! Now we can't wait until our 2010 7 day cruise!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter