How wet do you get on Kali? Wear Poncho?

My DH has an electric prosthetic leg that can't get drenched. Do you get super wet? would wrapping his leg in a plastic bag keep it dry? Do people wear ponchos? or will others point and laugh if we do
pointlaugh-1.gif

I've been on it twice while wearing a poncho and got drenched both times. Guy across from me, just a bit wet. No matter where you sit...you will get wet.

...we went on this ride at 8am one time, and because of the humid conditions, we were still wet at 5pm. There is one or 2 particular seats that will get totally drenched, and because the tube floats and spins, there is no telling where you'll end up, and generally speaking all in the tube will get wet. No amount of protection in my opinion will keep you from getting wet.

Can he just take it off for the ride and then put it back on after? I'm not being flippant, I'm actually a military surgeon and am used to dealing with patients with mutliple high-end prostetics who love being active. :banana: You don't say but if it's a BKA, he could take it off, put it in a plastic bag and stick it in the central "hub" container. If it wouldn't fit, you'd probably find that the CM would be cool with keeping it there at the turntable while you ride. Just a thought - BTW it is one of my favorite rides and my DH ALWAYS gets soaked!

Not flippant at all, he's very cool with it... very funny story to be told about him taking it off in a parking lot and waving it at someone like a club when they belligerently dared to question his use of a handicap placard and if he stole it from grandma (they were being real jerks and got pissy when we asked they relinquish the handicap parking spot they were using solely as a grocery loading zone with no handicap placard) . We still laugh about it to this day :rotfl2:

May times when we go to our local small water park he takes his leg off at the top of the ride and I have to carry it down, the looks I get are priceless :lmao: I can just picture the expression of a CM if we hand them the leg for safekeeping :rotfl: I think it would be worth doing for the shear shock factor and another story to add to his list :laughing:

We've never even thought of those cast protectors!! would probably work way better than the dry sack I bought. Will definitely look into those. Thanks for the suggestion!

We were on Kali a few days ago and I can tell you that Dh and I got soaked!!! Like jumping completely in a pool soaked!!

I always tell people if they tipped over the raft and made us swim to the exit in our clothes, we could not have gotten wetter.

Skip it- the ride is fun, but not spectacular (and QUICK!) and certainly not worth the risk to his leg.

Can he just take it off for the ride and then put it back on after? I'm not being flippant, I'm actually a military surgeon and am used to dealing with patients with mutliple high-end prostetics who love being active. :banana: You don't say but if it's a BKA, he could take it off, put it in a plastic bag and stick it in the central "hub" container. If it wouldn't fit, you'd probably find that the CM would be cool with keeping it there at the turntable while you ride. Just a thought - BTW it is one of my favorite rides and my DH ALWAYS gets soaked!

This won't help the OP but I wanted to add that complimentary lockers were recently installed for Kali riders.

My thought after reading the OP was about taking it off and putting it in a locker - and have read your reply (about him waving it at someone - so funny!) so maybe it could go in a locker? - I dont know if that is practical/will it fit/how far from the ride it is - but worth looking at if he wants to ride?

We wore ponchos when we rode Kali (dont care who points & laughs!!) - it is one of those rides where one or two get soaked and it is guaranteed to be me :lmao:

I honestly cant remember how wet we got but remember lifting our feet up so I think that maybe the bottom of the boat gets quite wet - I wouldn't risk the prosthetic unless wrapped in something

My thought after reading the OP was about taking it off and putting it in a locker - and have read your reply (about him waving it at someone - so funny!) so maybe it could go in a locker? - I dont know if that is practical/will it fit/how far from the ride it is - but worth looking at if he wants

They are near the bathrooms at the entrance to Kali.

It's not a great ride anyways - certainly not good enough to risk malfunction of a prosthetic limb.

It's a very short ride and outside of the one drop and the very short themed logging area it's nothing special that you'd miss if you skipped it. The fun of it is getting soaked or seeing someone else in your family get soaked - once you remove that element, it's not worth the wait time or in your case the risk.

the ride is fun, but it's super short and given the expense that could be caused if soaking were to occur, it is NOT worth it.

I'm a bit biased as I truly despise being wet. I wear an LLBean rain coat that goes almost to my ankles on KRR every single time, no matter the temperature!!! I don't give a hoot if people laugh b/c my clothes stay dry and that is all that matters to me!!!:cool1:

OP - I can't tell you anything else than what everyone has been saying, I wouldn't risk it. However, I wanted to say that your husband sounds hilarious, and I wish I could be there to watch you hand a CM his prosthetic leg.

And, we're the two who always get soaked on this ride. On our first time, my bf looked at me and said "That's it?" and I guess it was before the hill because after the hill, and we were drenched head to toe I looked at him and said "No, THAT was it." The people in our raft were laughing so hard. We were wet for about an hour, but it was so hot we didn't mind.

My family makes fun of me for wearing a poncho but I'm the only one who's dry and not walking around in wet clothes when we get off;)

I was just there 2 weeks ago. My husband didn't want to get wet so he didn't ride it, and instead stood on the bridge that has the controls to splash the riders. It was actually fun, when we got to that part of the ride and I pointed him out to my parents. The rest of the people on the raft also looked and said to each other, "oh we should do that too". Not riding, he was also able to photograph us on the raft from the bridge.

I wasn't aware of the lockers. Maybe we would use them next time. Do they give you a lock or are you supposed to bring your own?

We have a ride very similar to Kali at a local amusement park here and they allow people to ride in their bathing suits if they want. I don't think that's permitted on Kali but the fact that the ride here allows this should tell you how wet people get on it.

nkereina said:
We have a ride very similar to Kali at a local amusement park here and they allow people to ride in their bathing suits if they want. I don't think that's permitted on Kali but the fact that the ride here allows this should tell you how wet people get on it.

I saw people coming off of Kali in bathing suits.

One of his favorite costumes is when he's a pirate. He took the foot of his first leg (seriously, who would give a 17 yr old kid a geriatric leg?), anyway,he put a bunch of duct tape at the bottom, wrapped it up like a ball, then spray painted the whole thing brown, peg leg! It's not too comfortable to walk with, but it does the trick for initial reaction :lmao:

ya, he's a character all right, a character that half the time I wanna
chairhead.gif
:lmao:

I told him about handing the leg to the CM and now he's contemplating it :rotfl: Hmmmm, I just thought about it, I HATE getting wet, so maybe I just don't go and be the leg keeper when we get to the front of the line.

All this water talk and his leg, then reading the one about the rain made me realize that with as much as it can potentially rain, that would get his leg wet too. Wouldn't have thought about it otherwise, so now we're going to take saran wrap to wrap up the mechanism for regular day to day stuff. Not for the ride, that won't help, but for general rain.

If I do end up being the leg keeper, it would help to know, does the ride start and end in the same place?

Here is a picture that shows the famous 'wall of water'
2590P4200205.JPG

On our last ride, I got one of the splash seats and was totally wet to the skin. I went into the bathroom and wrung at least 2 cups of water out of my clothes. I was still wet enough, even after that I was still dripping for the next half hour.
So even if he removes the leg, I would still suggest he wear a poncho - otherwise his clothes could drip on the leg.

If I do end up being the leg keeper, it would help to know, does the ride start and end in the same place?
The ride starts and ends in the same place, but the regular boarding area has a round rotating load and unload area. The boats are moving along with the rotating area, so it is not totally stable and guests have a short time to old and unload.
He should load at the accessible loading area shown in this picture:
2590P4200190.JPG

As an empty boat goes by, the CM opens the gate (the bar going across the water in the middle of the picture). That allows a boat to enter the area. The the CM raises the bar again, which traps a boat so that it will not move until all the guests have boarded.
For exiting, the CMs do the same thing.
It is not an easy transfer. A wheelchair can be parked next to the boat, but you have to go down into the boat and then over to a seat. The seats are made of plastic and the seats and floors can be wet and slippery because of water coming into the boat. For guests using wheelchairs, once you have gotten into the boat, the CM will move the wheelchair out of the way. You will return to the same dock when your ride is over.
There is LSO a transfer assist device that fits over the side and guests can sit on it and sort of bump down into the boat.

His leg could be left at that boarding area, but would be safer if you or some other member of your party actually serves as the 'leg keeper'.

It's probably one of the river raft rides where you get the least wet(that is excluding the final drop).So the problem is that final drop is one of the wettest sections of any raft ride out there.So you may be totally dry the whole ride and that final big drop comes and you get totally soaked.Basically you can't ride it not expecting to get wet.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter