How was the first day/week of school?

MN Dis Fans

<font color=green>He's a tramp, but I still love h
I know there was a thread about dreading the start of school. So, how did it go? :confused3 My DS10 with AS started 5th grade and I think we are off to a good start for a change. However, in the past he always has said that everything was great, fine, super, etc... and then I get a note or call from the teacher who has a vastly different take on the situation. :crazy:

good thoughts to everyone already back at it!:)

:sunny:

Yes, I started that thread a couple of weeks ago. We have three weeks under our belts and so far, so good. Yes, there have been tense, exhausting nights...that is what I was dreading...but no major train wrecks...YET!

I am really worried about a family we know whose son is a freshman at the same HS and his Asperger's is a LOT more severe than our son's. He is not doing well at all. I seriously don't think our public schools CAN provide an appropriate public education for him. He has above average intelligence, but his behavior is more than most teachers are willing to handle. I don't know if they have the finanical means, but if I were them, my son would have been at a private school several years ago.

You are so right! Private parochial school was the best thing we ever did after trying public school kindergarten for one horrible year. But I know jr high and high school are considerably more costly and we are starting to plan for that.
Congrats on 3 weeks done! Go team! :cheer2:

Mickey, my 8 year old daughter with Down syndrome and leukemia, has only been able to go to school 3 days so far due to chemo schedules and being in the hospital. Her homebound education starts tomorrow and we are all very excited. The other 2nd grade teacher is doing it and can't wait to work with Mickey. I think this year will be better than last year because her teacher this year is very excited to have Mickey in her class. Last year's teacher didn't mind having her, but I don't think she would have chosen her if given the option. This year's teacher would have asked for Mickey, I think!

On the other end of the spectrum, I have a 6 year old son in 1st grade. I think we're going to have to work hard to keep him challenged and keep him from being bored. He's one sharp cookie!!

My ds started 1st grad Tuesday. He refused to take the bus to school yesterday and today (Wednesday). Of course, it's double difficult for him because I returned to work today, after being home for over a year. And DH just left to China on a business trip. So, poor guy is going through a lot of change. I'm hoping he'll get on the school bus tomorrow morning. If not, then I'll just have to drive him in and be a little late to work. I'm just so glad that my Mom moved in and is being loads of help!

LOL! Oh, your serious. Well, my school district thought they could "put me off" and "ignore" my concerns regarding my daughter's placement so she is currently being homeschooled until a more appropriate placement can be made for her. They were quite shocked to hear that I really did keep her home. Guess they'll have to get their butts into gear real quick if they want to get their federal funding. (Yes, this is a very irratating/frustraing situation that I'm trying to make light of because it's 3 am.) Of course, why in the world they would continue to hire someone who was charged with a felony drug charge is beyond me. Not to mention that we have a harrasment restraining order against this person as well.

I better sign off. Not only am I sleepy, but now grumpy. (Gotta love the seven dwarfs.) Oh my. Goodnight. :rotfl:

DD 15 who has CFS/Fibro Central Pain Processing Disorder and Stress has been back about 4 weeks. So far so good. She not been absent or tardy. She's on the Volleyball team. Grades are honor roll right now. Just hope it all continues as DD missed at least 3/4ths of the 7th and 8th grades. Now that we are dealing with high school no way she can pass her classes if she not there.

Don't even get me started on the homebound school tutoring thing. The stories I could tell there would make your heads spin.

so far, we've had:

1) Two boys running, screaming from the classroom in total meltdown...
2) Two weeks of endless sleepwalking...
3) Twenty-two areas of anxiety related hive outbreak...
4) One mother who is VERY glad it is Saturday...

:teeth: :teeth: :teeth:

So far, a pretty good "back to school" week, all in all;)

Our twin boys are 7, and both have ASD, and we're coming off a fabulous, relaxing, "best we've ever had" summer...

That's after the "Worst We EVER had school year"..(and they were only in Grade one!!)

We were anticipating a difficult transition, and it has been, but I think things are going to be fine:) Their teacher is wonderful...we've got a new VP, and Principal, and *MY* anxiety;);) is lots less than it has been in the past two Septembers.

The rash is clearing, the sleepwalking wasn't so bad last night, and the boys are actually looking forward to Monday:)

So am I...I'm going to have a nap!! :teeth:

:grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug: to everyone...

New school = bad news. Connor (12, Down Syndrome) has always loved school. Of course, he's had the same awesome special ed teacher since kdg. He's now in 6th grade, which in our area starts middle school. The teacher just doesn't seem very caring. Connor left the building twice last week. This week he refused to participate, and tried to hide in a locker. We never had this kink of problem in elementary. He just doesn't like it. This teacher is also big on worksheets - he must have brought home 20 math worksheets just this week alone.

We go to WDW next week, and I'm thinking that when we get home I'm going to look into changing to the other middle school (which I hate to do, because the school he is in now is our home school). But the teacher over there is great!

LisaB

Well, we've got four days under our belt! DD Grace is 5 1/2 and started kindergarten (full day!) She has cp and is in a wheelchair. At the end of the school year there was a question as to if the class she was going into would be able to have an extra aide for her. There was one special ed teacher and one paraprofessional to 12 kids. So, great news, she got her aide!!! well, there really was no question about that, I guess whats great is that I didn't have to fight anyone for it! :cheer2: So, all that went great, she seems to be enjoying school, and the teacher is wonderful!

Ok, now for the not so good part! The first day the bus pulled up, no wheelchair lift! Dispatched another bus, 20 minutes later, no bus monitor!! Just Grace and the driver! Needless to say, I followed the bus to school while calling them! For some reason, they are having a problem getting a monitor on this kids bus! She is still the only one on this bus and there has only been a monitor on there 1/2 the time. I have several calls into the school on this. If its not resolved on Monday, I'm going to start kickin butt!!! :headache:

Other than that, it has been a good 1st week for her and my ds who started 2nd grade!

We have been back to school 6 days so far. This is DD8s first year ever without one on one support. The teacher is wondering why she interrupts and doesn't follow instructions as well as the other kids. Well, duh, she has ADHD and has no in school support, what do you think????

She started off the conversation by saying to me: Don't worry its not like she will fail Grade 3 or anything but there are a couple of minor behavioural issues..... WELL, I HOPE she won't fail grade 3 since she got almost straight A's last year with you as her teacher (I didn't actually say this to the teacher, just in my mind) .

This was all yesterday..
Well today the teacher said DD did not speak out once and will have DD say the instructions back to her before she is allowed to start her work.

Also: for the first time ever the teacher yelled at DD (the teacher told me not DD), since DD got into a LOUD argument with a boy about how to play chess.
This is the same teacher who she had last year (but DD also had an aid with her last year). This teacher never yelled at her last year.

I hope the worst is over and the rest is smooth sailing.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I should be happy, the school feels she no longer needs an Educational Assistant (support person) but I don't know.

We ALL need huge hugs! :grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug:
A bus for a girl in a wheel chair with no wheel chair lift.
Your child does so well with an aide that they determine that she doesn't need an aide.
Meaningless worksheets.
Welcome to life as the parents of kids in school!

I only have one in school this year.
Last Spring my oldest DD graduated into adulthood.
My youngest DD was happy because her bus was driven by her favorite bus driver. That's what she cares the most about. I wish that she would allow people to see what she knows so that she gets to do more interesting things.

Did a 2 day delayed start so school could have their act together for Kevin (10, autism, epilepsy). First day bus doesn't show up after me calling to remind them how important it is to have consistency and the bus MUST be there on the first day. Bus ride home=brawl due to no bus aide and seating arrangement. Been in school only 8 days and have been called twice due to "Kevin might be getting sick." I think I'M sick...of school :rolleyes:
On a good note his worst behavior in school so far has been refusing to carry his picture schedule because they put it on a blue background instead of a green one (his favorite color). 99 cents and a green notebook...problem solved. I wish it were all that easy :)

Well, last week we got the 9 weeks grades, all A's except for a B+.
This week, he suddenly has 2 C's, 2 B's and 2 A's. I got a call yesterday from the gifted teacher because his study hall teacher was having some kind of problem with him. Why the gifted teacher called, I don't know??? Also I couldn't figure out what really happened, and when DS came home, he said nothing happened???
Then this noon, my DS calls sobbing, "get me out of here!!" He was in Asst. Principals office, and no one knows what set him off (I'm hoping I can get him to talk later!) but he was hiding in the bathroom. Only came out when they promised they would call me.
He did make the comment that there was "too much to remember". I think the change to middle school has been harder on him than I knew!
I just want to cry and have someone pamper ME!!!

Earstou said:
Well, last week we got the 9 weeks grades, all A's except for a B+.
This week, he suddenly has 2 C's, 2 B's and 2 A's. I got a call yesterday from the gifted teacher because his study hall teacher was having some kind of problem with him. Why the gifted teacher called, I don't know??? Also I couldn't figure out what really happened, and when DS came home, he said nothing happened???
Then this noon, my DS calls sobbing, "get me out of here!!" He was in Asst. Principals office, and no one knows what set him off (I'm hoping I can get him to talk later!) but he was hiding in the bathroom. Only came out when they promised they would call me.
He did make the comment that there was "too much to remember". I think the change to middle school has been harder on him than I knew!
I just want to cry and have someone pamper ME!!!

Oh.... :grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug:

Have a good cry, you'll feel better - would flowers help?
:flower: :flower: :flower: :flower: :flower:
..keep us posted - we're here to listen..

would flowers help?
Thanks, MBB! :goodvibes
That and dinner out at my favorite restaurant ! ;)
I think I'm going to have to pull my DS out of his study hall. He is refusing to do anything for this teacher. He has never ever done this before. He might refuse to do something once, but after he calms down, he cooperates. He told the teacher yesterday (okay, he wrote her a letter, he probably would never "tell" her anything) he couldn't concentrate, but she didn't believe him because there were only three people in the room. So they both have an attitude, and we are going nowhere!
I finally found out what caused him to hide in the bathroom. He forgot his lunch card, so they told him to go to the end of the lunch line! That was all it was. He did have an elevated temp, 99.1 later that day (he's often below 98.0!) and he hadn't slept well due to thunderstorms, so I think he wasn't feeling very good and couldn't handle as much as normal.

Update on our school problems!
We had teacher conferences last night, and I have to say I'm impressed with all the teachers EXCEPT the study hall teacher. All the others have a pretty good idea of his disabilities, and had even caught on to his writing difficulties even though they weren't aware of it when school started. They ALL said he was pleasant and cooperative and that, aside from his Asperger tendencies, they have no problem with him.
I talked to all of the other teachers about my son's attitude with the study hall teacher, and was told that her personality probably wasn't a good match for someone like him. Two teachers even recommended pulling him out of her study hall!!! They told us to talk to the counselor, so we did. She agreed after visiting with us that a change needed to be made. She will be calling a meeting to do this, since the study hall was in his IEP as a support (he still had many missing papers, so it's doing no good whatsoever). So it will not happen immediately, but the wheels are rolling!!!!
So I feel better, knowing that most of the teachers are very caring and the one that isn't, should be history for us soon!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter