how to warm milk?

hollyann85

Earning My Ears
I have read some posts about how to get hot water to make formula bottles at WDW, but how to warm whole milk? My one year old wont drink it cold--are there microwaves everywhere?--also, am I buying milk all day at the restaurants? seems like an expensive way to go!

You can warm milk the same way you would formula; put the smaller cup (sippy or whatever) into a wider bowl of hot water; the fat refillable mugs work well for this.

Where are you staying? If you have a freezer, you can freeze the milk into milksicles using bottle liners, and carry them in a mini-cooler with a ziploc of ice and a cloth diaper on top to insulate it. They will gradually thaw, but stay cold enough not to spoil, at least up until about 4 pm if you insulate them well. If you don't have a freezer, you're buying at restaurants; it will be about $1.50/glass.

DS has always been a serious milk junkie; he goes through 2 gallons a week. At WDW, we keep a gallon in our room in an ice chest, and he has it for breakfast and at night. We will buy milk with his meals, but we have him drink water from a Brita bottle the rest of the time. (He doesn't like any other sort of drink; he only wants milk or water.) BTW, he didn't like his milk cold for a long time, but did eventually learn to prefer it that way, TG.

I have one of those milk or water kids - she also likes soymilk but no juice or soda.

When she was younger I would use a small frozen water bottle to keep a few things cool in a lunchbox. I used the parmelat milks as they are single serving (like a juice box) when traveling. If you can gradually warm his milk a bit less each time between now and your trip so that he takes milk room temp rather than 'warm' you could then take a box out a short time before he wants to drink it. Or weather permitting just keep it room tem as the parmelat dosen't need to be kept cold. You would also have it readily available in the room as well as on the go. Consider buying a few boxes of the parmelat now to make sure he likes it and gets used to it. Introduce it slowly in between regular milk servings. (It is "real milk" btw just pasteurized differently so as not to have to be kept cold!).

We found a juice box holder that turned the parmelat box (and all juice boxes) into a sippie cup that we loved. You can even put a bottle nipple on it although dd was off the bottle by the time we found it. I saw them recently in the aisle of the supermarket by the juice boxes and in the baby asile. I picked up one for my sil who has two small kiddos!

Most of the counter service restaurants do offer milk so you will be able to find it but warming it may be an issue. I guess you could also order a large cup 1/2 full of hot water?

Have a great trip.

TJ

We have requested a cup of hot water at any of the restaurants that we ate at. We were heating jars of baby food, but same idea. It was never an issue and we could get it any and everywhere.

When we travel, if we don't get a fridge and for in the parks, we use Parmalat...boxed milk. It doesn't have to be kept cold and since it's a room temp, doesn't need to be warmed either :) We use the 8 oz. juice box size. It does come in quarts, but those have to be refrigerated after opening.

You can find Parmalat in the juice, baking, or coffee aisle at your local grocery store....some stores stock it on all those aisles but most just pick on or the other.

Some folks say their kids won't take it, but my 2 never noticed the difference, and I know lots of moms who use it. Pick some up and try it before you leave...it sure does make things easy if your little ones like it!!

We even keep some in the car in case we're out longer than we plan...don't have to stop at the gas station to buy milk. I just open the end of the carton like a school milk carton to pur it into the bottle rather than trying to squeeze it out through the straw hole...that can get messy :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter