How to use snack credits with allergies

Disney2017

Earning My Ears
HI! we have never been before so I am unsure of where/how we use our dining plan snack credits. My daughter has a peanut allergy and i am tring to get an idea of what her choices are in advance. Ice cream places are usually off limits.

I have no concern with actual restaurants but was wondering if anyone knows if there is a list somewhere of what snack credits can be used for or a specific list of snack options that are peanut free?

Obviously I can read labels if there are pre-packaged snacks available but I am not even sure what qualifies as a snack?

Thanks for any tips on where to search for this info. I did try a basic Google search but couldn't find anything specific about what peanut free snacks are available using dining credits.

You won't be able to find a list. And that is really a good thing, because although you will always read the labels, not everyone would. And as we know, suppliers and formulas change.

Think about the type of snacks she eats now and check those out. Then go on a snack by snack basis.

WDW is probably the best place on the planet to visit with allergies or dietary restrictions. They are fabulous. Staff is generally knowledgeable and well-trained. And they make all the accommodations seem effortless, like it's no big deal...but you do have to mention that there's an allergy in the group.

For TS restaurants, note the allergy on your ADR. A chef will come out to speak with you before any orders are taken. Often, waiters won't even pour you a water until after the chef okays it.

For QS restaurants, they will have an ingredients binder that you can look at. Often, the manager or a senior CM will go through it with you to determine what's safe.

Some of the larger snack stands will have allergy binders, and most of the smaller should at least have labels to read. Many also have pre-packaged allergy-safe treats available.

I've seen CMs at the ice cream places open a new box of cones, a new carton of ice cream, etc and scoop with a clean/sanitized scoop to help ensure a diner's safety.

They even have allergy-safe treats and a whole distribution system set up at the Halloween and Christmas parties.

There's an allergy kiosk at AK with info and snacks that I've found helpful:
https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/dining/animal-kingdom/terra-treats/

If you have questions in advance about specific types of items, you can email Special.Diets@disneyworld.com - they're very helpful folks.

You should also post in the disABILITIES forum here, there's lots of people there who can share their experiences

Last edited:
We find that many of the desserts at WDW are not peanut safe. It also depends on your level of comfort. Some people are ok with made in the same factory and others are not. They are safe snacks but there are lots of dessert things that are not. Most counter service desserts we found were not safe. Ice cream is another where your level of comfort is a huge component. We were OK with soft serve but not most dipped ice cream. The best thing is that they all have ingredients and can share those with you. When our DS was little, we would check when he was out of ear shot so we would know whether to offer the snack or not. Thats not so important now that he is 10.

I also suggest the DISabilities forum for more information. The folks who hang out there are very knowledgeable and will be able to provide even more assistance. I know that my DGD had a dairy and egg allergy, and did not leave Disney feeling that she missed out on anything. Now I recognize a peanut allergy is not the same, so having up to date info is helpful.

They generally have at least 1 allergy safe snack/dessert at each place. It was almost always the same packaged choc chip cookies that are also gluten free. If she isn't used to gluten free stuff she may not like those at all. Almost everything is labeled with a little ddp snack logo so you can tell what are available as a snack credit. Everything that is Mickey/Minnie/Goofy Bake or candy shop all have nut warnings. The resort quick service places typically have things that are safe like chips ahoy and oreos. Most of the ice cream bars, popcorn, and big pretzels have a produced in the same plant warning-- I am pretty hyper about being safe and have eaten those with no problems. The dole whip and soft serve ice cream are typically safe. (I check every time). The cupcakes at BOG are safe but you have to ask for a chef and get them without the sprinkles/pearls. Cinnamon rolls at Gaston's were also safe and a snack credit. The ice cream shops, bakeries, and candy stores are really no fun at all with allergies so I avoid. If you must go there they often have fruit, bags of chips, and an allergy safe cookie pack so there is something.

My younger son has a peanut/tree nut allergy that is severe but he is allowed to eat "made in a facility" but not "may contain" - so your mileage may vary on that point. How old is your daughter? My son is a teenager and we go to WDW lots -so his idea of snacks as a teen may differ from a toddler for example - lol! He likes to use his snack credit for Starbucks drinks (not all are coffee but some are), frozen drinks (like slushies, frozen lemonade), churros. The mickey shaped rice krispie treats are fine for him too (I think they are made in a facility). I think Dole Whips are safe but he hasn't had one in awhile. It's also possible that another family member could use the snack credit on a higher value item and just buy your child's snacks out of pocket. I try to use them only on snacks that are around $4 and up. Since he can eat "made in a facility" it really ups his options for snacks. I can understand why some need to avoid that however.

Also - not a snack credit - but our new favorite restaurant is Chef Mickey's because he can eat almost ALL of the desserts. They are "made in a facility" so if you avoid that then it won't help - but otherwise the chefs say they are free from nuts and cross contamination and we've eaten there many times this past year with no issues.

I don't know what snacks you want, but we like fresh fruit and veggie snacks. Looking at menus can be a a large help. There's a snack size sushi in Japan at Epcot. Some places have soups for a snack credit. There is packaged yogurt as a snack in most resort QS restaurants as well as bagel with cream cheese. It's not all mickey ice-cream, thank goodness; and some of the packaged items you could get at your resort and carry for later. Baby Cakes items should be safe - get them at some resort QS locations and at Terra Treats (allergy kiosk) at AK, or make a pilgrimage to their location in Disney Springs shopping area.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter