• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

How to trust each other

Jennykerty

Earning My Ears
I am not a member, but posted my wish for 106 points. The member renting the points would also have to make our reservation.

From reading your posts, I can see that alot of members are concerned about the prices they are getting for points and how some renters are not really mindful of the deal they are getting.

That said, We are renters that plan on following thru with the deal and not haggling with price.

I was contacted by a member who has the points I need at $11 per point.
I have absolutely no problem paying $11 per point--The question I have is that the person who contacted me is still 'earning their ears' , has been a member since Feb 2005 and has posted 18 times...
I have no reason to distrust them, but Is their 'short' history a liability, or not really?
I'm a little confused because this member was asking for points just last month, and now this month is renting points. Or am I reading too much into all of this?

How do you suggest I protect myself during the process, so that we all come out winners?

Thanks
Jenny

but Is their 'short' history a liability, or not really?
I'm a little confused because this member was asking for points just last month, and now this month is renting points. Or am I reading too much into all of this?

How do you suggest I protect myself during the process, so that we all come out winners?

Hi Jenny!

You sound as if you have a good attitude and a good grasp of how renting works! :)

As far as low posts being a liability--I think the most honest answer is maybe. On one hand there's little track record--on the other hand, everyone has to start somewhere. I might suggest asking for references that you could contact. Also, perhaps speaking directly with the renter might give you a better feel for the individual. I have rented at least 8 times from members with both many and no-so-many posts. To date every deal has been stellar.

A contract is never a bad idea either. Something that spells out what each party agrees to do and how the agreement will be governed.

I hope that helps a bit.
:)

Editied to add: As far as someone who was looking for points a few months ago and is now renting them out--it could either be that the member needed points they were short on for a stay (or a non home location and wanted the chance to use the 11 month booking option via another member's points) or, possibly the person is renting points at one price and re-renting at another.

Trust has to be there on both parts. As far as the renter goes it does seem odd that he is asking for points 1 month then renting them the next. Maybe another DVCer can answer this. My thought is that maybe he needed points for a stay that fell through, not sure. Its also good that you are looking at how many posts and such. I've been a member here and an owner for 2 months now. I have rented last UY points out only to be delayed the deposit, now going on 4 weeks. What this tells me is that my renter is probably fielding the market for a lower price stay and using me as a back up since its all booked. Again its trust on both parts and I do understand your concern. I'm not in the market to ruin anyones family vacation by playing games but I also would like the same respect back....my first experience isn't going very well so far.......Good Luck and if your uncomfortable with the renter, there always another one around the corner.
Brownie

It's very rare that that you hear of a scam or a deal going really bad here on the DIS (though there is the exception). The major drawback of dealing with people with low posting numbers is that they may not know what they are doing. Example: I have seen people on the Rent/Trade Board requesting ressies and stating clearly that they need DVC assistance because the resorts are sold out. Then you will see a post from a potential seller that they have the points needed. If they were more experienced they would realize that points do you NO good at a sold out resort, you must have a reservation to rent. Or, I have seen people request maybe 300 points for a 2 bedroom for X days. They will get a reply from a prospective seller that they have 120 points available for rent. Again, those points do no good, the potential renter can't collect points in a bucket from 2 or 3 owners and then make a reservation. There has to be an owner that has enough points to go ahead and make the ressie that is needed. No one in either of these cases is trying to pull a scam. It's just that the lack of experience is going to lead to wasted time and frustration on both sides. We often recommend to people that they read the FAQs before they ask to rent. Looks like new owners need to read them also, before they engage in any renting!

Hi - I am a new DVC owner and had to rent out my points. I was nervous about trusting someone to make a such a large payment to me and also getting "stuck" with a reservation that I could not use. But we just completed the transaction and all went well. I guess if I was the renter I would be nervous about giving someone money and trusting them to make (and keep) the reservation. I haven't read any posts regarding bad renting experiences. I hope all goes well for you too.
Sue

I only rented points once and it was from a new person - in fact, I was the first person he ever rented to! All went perfectly well and we just returned from BCV. :thumbsup2

There needs to be trust and strange as it sounds...your instinct. We are first time renters and we had many responses to our request for points. We definitely looked for someone who had been on the boards for awhile. But then we just started emailing a few people and went with the one we felt most comfortable with. We actually spent more for our points, but felt like this was the best decision for us.

Thank you all for your responses

I did contact the person who had the points, but I have not heard back yet.

In the meantime, someone posted that they have points for rent and I emailed them. Their price is $1 cheaper, we exchanged emails, and I already have a better feeling about them. I am expecting to know either today or tomorrow if it is a deal.
If so, then I will contact the first person and let them know. As I said, I have no reason to distrust the first person, but somehow, I feel more comfortable about the second.

I have to say, that I cannot get over how helpful everyone on this site is. People have been so kind and informative.
It is overwhelming for newbies, where to stay, when to go, but the information I have received here has been wonderful.

Thank you all again
Jenny :)

I agree, Jenny, that you certainly have the right attitude about renting points. Absolutely go with someone that you have a "better feeling" about, these type of transactions DO require trust, and truly, all anyone has to go on is their "gut reaction." Enjoy yor vacation :)

I want to make a comment regarding the many posts I've read that DVC owners/renters should have a high number of posts in order to be trusted to rent from them. Let me give a different twist from my perspective and personal experience. I've been on the DIS boards since 1999 and have been a DVC owner since 1999. I've lost my posts more than once due to server upgrades, etc. My number of posts isn't high, but in the first couple years after we purchased DVC points I spent many hours on the DVC (and other DIS forums) learning the ropes. I no longer have the time to spend surfing these boards and my post number is pretty low, but I still check in occasionally for the latest scoop. I'm also very familiar with how DVC transactions of all types work. I'm thankful that I've had both DVC members and non-members trust me enough to transfer or rent points that I couldn't use. My transactions have gone extremely well and both parties were very happy. What helps put both sides at ease is clear and prompt communication and good follow through. Just my .02 on the "high posts" requirement.

Jenny - I wish a "magical" renting and vacation experience for you.

Jenny - Feel free to ask to renter for references if they claim they have rented before. I think the one thing the Rent/Trade subboard needs is a feedback forum - think eBay. Wouldn't it be great if you could get some comments from other DIS'ers on whether or not someone else could be trusted?

As one of the folks who has often cited a high number of posts as a positive, I would caution you to think deeper than the number of posts.

A large number of posts is not important in itself, but it gives you an opportunity to read the person's other posts and possibly get some idea of whether or not they know what they are talking about, what kind of person they are, etc. That may be helpful, but it's only ONE way to evaluate the person...and not the best way.

The BEST indicator of reliability on the part of either a DVC owner or a renter has to be references from successful previous rentals.

There are a lot of ways to evaluate someone; don't lock on to one method. The important thing is for YOU to feel comfortable with the person you're dealing with.

I've been on both sides of the fence. We rented from people on here for years before we finally bit the bullet and bought into DVC. In the beginning we were newbies and really relied on the people we rented from. Now I own more points than I need (but have definite needs in the future!) so I am renting. I don't post often. I don't really have much to say. There are so many people who are much more knowledgable than I am on all things Disney. I do know that people have held that against me. Don't feel bad if you do too. Its all part of the grand plan I guess. All I'm saying is that just because I don't post often doesn't mean I'm not credible, it just means that I'm not talkative.

Good luck with renting your points. We've rented from others on Dis on 5 separate occasions and so far have rented to 3 and its all worked out beautifully. I'm sure you'll have as great results. For the most part, the people here are friendly and fair.
:cool1:

Jennykerty said:

Just something that hasn't been mentioned... if the member is looking for points at one resort and renting at another it could be that they are trying to book at a non-home resort at the 11 month window and trying to rent some of their points to offset that. We recently rented 50 vwl points to supplement our tiny contract for a week in a one bedroom and ended up renting out about as many BWV points to cover what we had spent on the rental. None of this happened in public but it's a possibility.

I have rented points twice from 2 different ebay sellers. And it was a bit scary sending all that money to someone and hoping I would still have a reservation when I got to Disney. But all worked out great and I have now just become a member in 2005! :banana: And I have already caught the add on bug for the other resorts! :teeth: So since I will probably have extra points to rent most years looks like I should get my posts up! :surfweb:
Though I do spend lots of time (too much time? :eek: nahhh :goodvibes ) on here just reading what is going on and what people have to say.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter