How to tell if seller is honest?

disneyliz

Earning My Ears
I am thinking of renting points and I know it says you have to do your own investigating. However my husband and I would not be happy if I settled a quote with someone and sent them money and it turned out they never contacted you. Is there a way to check to make sure this person is a DVC member and if anyone has had trouble with this person.

Thank you.

We recently rented for the first time and it went smoothly. I pm'd some of the regulars on the DVC Board and asked for advice first. The gentleman who rented us the points is a poster here and I was certain he valued his reputation. That made me feel better! I was also advised to settle on a price per point, verify nights, etc. I called member services to ask some questions, too. They verified, for example, that his points would retain their original use year even after moving to my account.

My seller offered to arrange a 3-way phone call to Member Services. This was not necessary for me, but it was a nice offer. I was able to call MS right after he did, to verify that the points had been transferred. The biggest problem was getting him paid! I tried to register for Paypal and that was a real disaster. If you plan to rent regularly you might want to register for Paypal NOW -- then if you decide to use it, it's ready. I also learned that for a small fee ($10-$20) most banks can do a transfer of money (from your bank account to the seller's, for example).

The only thing I regret is that we didn't rent MORE points. We would like to stay in a bigger room when we visit but by now they are all booked up! Think hard on your plans before you settle on an amount to rent. And finally, yes, there is trust involved. Some folks who have rented before offer to provide references but ultimately it comes does come down to a small leap of faith. I was willing to make that leap so renting worked well for me. :)

Hope this helps.

As someone that has rented a couple of thousand points in a short period of time, I would like to input my thoughts.

When someone contacts me about renting my points I usually ask a few questions and tell them about myself. I tell them my rates and terms up front, there are no gray areas.

If they agree to my terms I make the ressie, when I get the original ressie from DVC I send it to them with my contract.

They send a deposit on the agreed date and I make a phone call to let them know I got their deposit if I feel it's necessary to make them feel comfortable.

There is an element of trust in both partys but mostly from the one parting with the money.

I have asked WebmasterDoc about having a renters hall of fame but it hasen't materialized yet.

You are asking in the right place, this is where we all hang out.

Have a nice evening. Rich

You can also ask for references. I have rented several times on the board and have had people ask me.

Good luck
Sandy

Thank you very much, those replies help me. now I just need to decide on points and place.

thanks again:Pinkbounc :bounce:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter