How to surprise kids??

Sputnik

Earning My Ears
I'm been browsing the DISboards for a while but a first time poster to the DISboards. I LOVE this place! I'm wondering if anyone can help me with my situation.

My wife and planned out a trip to WDW from April 4-11th and we are bringing along two of our nieces and one of our nephews (we don't have any little ones yet). It will be the first time for the little ones but the second time for my wife and I. Can anyone give any ideas on how we can surprise them? I'm afraid the trip will be revealed when we go to the airport and they realize they are going to Orlando...

Also, can anyone give any ideas for hinting where they are going without giving it away? I think it will be more fun for them to try and find out w/out finding out...(if that makes any sense...lol).

Thanks!! :banana:

For our upcoming trip in April, I have a scavenger hunt planned for my boys. With each clue they will get a letter to spell out DISNEY. Our flight doesn't leave until 11am, so they will do this in the morning after they get up.

Hello!! Kind of depends on how old your nieces and nephew are I suppose. Last year, our two kids (DD was 7 and DS was 4) had no clue that we were going until the morning of our departure. They knew that we were going to florida at some point in the winter, but were totally surprised. But to keep the surprise going, we told them that we were only going to see grandpa and grandma in fort lauderdale and that we would be going to parrot jungle. It was funny to see the look on the airport border people when our daughter said that she was going to florida so that she could go to parrott jungle... Anyway, they were all really nice and played along. So we were able to keep it a surprise up until we got to Orlando and they showed the welcome to disney movie on the magical express bus. Their reaction is something i'll never forget.

You could start off with Mickey pancakes for breakfast...then move on to little clues around the house, play a CD of "mouse" music; I would go for the WOW factor in this one, and totally blow them away! Kids are soooo jaded these days; it's fun to get the better of them!!! I'd wait until they're at the airport thinking that they're going somewhere else. Then I'd pull out the Mickey ears, and backpacks full of "stuff" related to Disneyworld for them to enjoy while on the flight.

:) Wow thank you for your replies, those are some great ideas!

I was thinking about giving them a new hint every week for the next 5 weeks, maybe an orange for one week (hinting at florida) and maybe the mousetrap board game (if anyone remembers it) for the next week...something like that... Although, just thinking...the whole mousetrap game thing might be a bad idea b/c its a mouseTRAP game...lol! :laughing:

I think it's great that you're doing this, and wanting to take them. You will have a ball--but the best fun will be yours because you're the one giving. I've done this many, many times, and it is wonderful fun!--if you can keep the secret, which is the hardest part....One time, I brought my friends into the local Disney store and had the CM's play along. They announced to everyone in the store that Mickey had requested that my friends come to Disneyworld and they handed them the airline ticket. They even flashed the lights in the store on and off. Another time, I invited some friends over for breakfast, and served food all related to Disney, ...I had told them we were driving to Washington, DC, so they were ready for a roadtrip, just not one that was all the way to Florida!!! Were they ever shocked!!!

Exactly! The way I see it, I WILL have the most fun... I can't wait to see how much fun they are going to have. My wife and I had such a great time last time we went, all you do is have to give into the "Disney Magic" just a little bit and you'll have the time of your life! I can't wait to go! The three children are 13 (f), 8 (f), and 8 (f). The 13 year old is pretty bright and will easily figure it out if i give her obvious clues. I am really excited about having them find out the little WDW Secrets!

The Disney Store idea is very creative! Its great to know that the CM at the store are just as great as the CMs at WDW!!

I gave my little great nephew a bag with a note to read and the stuff in the bag were numbered and as he read, he would open a little gift (that he would need at Disney) He was doing great and all of a sudden he said, I know what this stuff is for...well.....I got a little frustrated as I didn't have my camera ready...well, when I got my camera ready, I asked him what they were for and he said "for gym class" Well, I just about laughed my head off as he had opened deoderant, shower soap and a toothbrush....he finally got to the last item and I put a small tin with Disney Fund written on it and he had the grandest smile and was so excited..in fact, the smile he had at that time, he also had the entire time we were at Disney World...a precious memory for sure...good luck with your surprise..I am surprising my little great niece in a couple of weeks...however, this time, I made a t-shirt that says, come along with me, and Mickey is driving the plane and I have a ticket done for the date and time on it for her ...she has no idea as we were suppose to go next year...I can't wait to see her shining face...

Just a thought I got while reading some of these other posts...Maybe when you give them their surprise for the week, you could add a little "hidden mickey" to it somewhere. When they finally figure out what their surprise is, they can go back through the clues they already received and play the "look for hidden mickey's" game...that will help keep the excitement alive as well as get them ready for the ULTIMATE hidden mickey hunt at the parks :thumbsup2

We kept one of our trips a secret until the morning we left. My SIL and family had a trip planned for the same time and they really wanted to go. I kept playing up that we couldn't go this time for xyz reasons etc... The morning we were leaving we had told them the night before that we were going to the zoo the following day so they had to get up early. They were a bit younger then so I was able to get away packing for them secretly etc. We had an early morning flight so when we woke them up we explained to them that we had some bad news, the weather called for rain so the zoo wasn't going to work out, but we had a present for them that might cheer them up. I had found Disney disposable cameras and wrapped one for each of them and they opened them I explained that they were going to need these cameras so they can take pictures where we were going to go instead of the zoo. I thought that was a dead giveaway but they were still clueless, so I said, "Look at what is on your camera." The look on their faces was one of the most priceless memories I have of them. Needless to say, they got dressed and we were off to the airport. Those kind of suprises are so much fun!!!

We asked our kids if they wanted to have an adventure and maybe lunch at McDonalds. We all got in the car and DH and I started talking that it might be fun to have lunch at the airport McDonalds and asked the kids if they would like to see planes taking off? DH parked the car and handled the luggage while I got the kids through security. We went light on the carrier ons...really just my backpack. When we got through and got some lunch... we asked if they knew where the planes were going to....and told them after some guesses that they were going to Disney and asked if they'd like to get on one and go too!

Aim

We kept one of our trips a secret until the morning we left. My SIL and family had a trip planned for the same time and they really wanted to go. I kept playing up that we couldn't go this time for xyz reasons etc... The morning we were leaving we had told them the night before that we were going to the zoo the following day so they had to get up early. They were a bit younger then so I was able to get away packing for them secretly etc. We had an early morning flight so when we woke them up we explained to them that we had some bad news, the weather called for rain so the zoo wasn't going to work out, but we had a present for them that might cheer them up. I had found Disney disposable cameras and wrapped one for each of them and they opened them I explained that they were going to need these cameras so they can take pictures where we were going to go instead of the zoo. I thought that was a dead giveaway but they were still clueless, so I said, "Look at what is on your camera." The look on their faces was one of the most priceless memories I have of them. Needless to say, they got dressed and we were off to the airport. Those kind of suprises are so much fun!!!

We are doing the same sort of thing for our girls (7 and 5) for our upcoming trip in March. My girls know that mom and dad are going away for a week to celebrate our 10 yr. wedding anniversary. They think that they are going to be staying with their grandparents who live 3 hours away. Therefore I will be able to get away with packing and also have them help me pack their stuff...etc. Anyway, on the morning of our flight out (we have a 7am flight) we are going to get them up very early and get them ready like we are leaving to go on a roadtrip. Except dad is going to get a call (really me calling from my cell phone) and it is going to be grandma saying something to the effect that they can't come because yada yada yada. The girls will get bummed by this but before they get too bummed my DH is going to tell them that they will have to come with us....and knowing my 7 yr old, she will immedately ask where? I will take over and tell them that they probably will not have a good time and they will be so bored...blah, blah, blah, and then proceed to say we are going to Disney....or least something to that effect....can you tell my DH and I really have planned through this?

We were going to wait until we get to MCO and let them see the DME busses, but decided that the pilot would give it away when they talk about Orlando's weather and ETA....plus, we wanted to get their reactions on tape.

It sounds like everyone has had a great time coming up with these plans :)

All these ideas have helped me bring out more of my ''creative'' side. Since our nephew and nieces are homeschooled we can work it in so they believe they are going to Florida for educational reasons...I'll plan out an itinerary showing what museums, library's, science fairs, or whatever, that we will be going to and give it to them before we get on the plane. When we are driving to WDW and they see the big WDW sign we'll give them the REAL WDW itinerary!! What do you guys think?

How to surprise kids??

Wait until they are asleep.

Tiptoe into their room about 1am with a big wooden spoon and a skillet lid.

Bang on the lid with the spoon good and hard about 11 times.

THAT ought to surprise 'em!!

;)

Wait until they are asleep.

Tiptoe into their room about 1am with a big wooden spoon and a skillet lid.

Bang on the lid with the spoon good and hard about 11 times.

THAT ought to surprise 'em!!

;)

Haha, I do that on a regular basis! It wouldn't be much of a surprise! (j/k) :rotfl2:

Me and DH are planning now a surprise birthday trip for DS at the same time a Christmas trip for all. I hope it will turn out well and we will have a great time.

Have a nice day everyone. :)

Me and DH are planning now a surprise birthday trip for DS at the same time a Christmas trip for all. I hope it will turn out well and we will have a great time.

Have a nice day everyone. :)

Sounds like a great plan! Hopefully no one lets the cat out of the bag to your DS!

You said the 13 year old is pretty savvy, so I think this child would figure it out very early if you tell them about going to Florida and the museums, etc. They could easily ask "why can't we go to Disney?"

You need to tap into your creative side, and your sneaky, devious, and utterly sinister side for this mission! Have their parents pack their clothes without them knowing about it; --become James Bond 007; tell them the whopper of all time, anything to get them to the airport, and then spring it on them! :scared1: They'll learn a brand new respect for you...

My dear friend, who shall remain nameless because she reads this board, tricked her 16 year old daughter. It was hilarious. She packed all the clothes the girl would need for Disney. She woke her up at 6 am to ask her to accompany her to the airport to see me off--then they could go have some breakfast. We got to the airport; I jumped out, and the girl jumped out to assist me, and her mother handed her an card and said, "see ya! Call me later." and she drove off!!!! I already had her tickets, and her suitcase was with me. The girl was stunned. And she remained stunned until we were on the plane. She just couldn't believe her mother had fooled her! I admit, that was drastic, but hey, she's a teenager. Not much gets past them these days. I, on the other hand, was laughing hysterically. You should have seen her facial expressions when the car just drove off! Her mother laughed all the way home. Anyway, you get the idea. Be VERY creative. Be VERY devious and sneaky. Here's your chance of a lifetime. :lmao: :rotfl2: :rotfl:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter