How to spot fake Shellie May?

It looks real to me. I think the main way to spot a fake one is that they don't say made in Vietnam, but say made in China instead. They also have eyelashes that are all the same length and fat legs. Mine isn't from DisneySea, so has a slightly different tag but I compared your photos to mine and it looks authentic.

Thanks for the reply! I am happy that you took the time to compare! I ordered it before knowing there were fake ones. Thank you and have a nice day!

I strongly believe this is a fake. I just bought a shelliemay from an eBay seller that is very much a fake. The seller even told me it was a fake after I emailed when I received it. Other than the hang tag, the one I have looks very real. It says made in Vietnam. It has Disney instead of Di5ney. What cues me into the fact yours is fake is the hang tag. That's what clued me in to mine being fake.

Hello! Do you have any pictures for us To compare? I an curious to see the similarities between our Shellie Mays :)

I'm sorry I don't at the time. We're in the middle of an emergency at home so I probably won't get to that for a bit. The other thing about mine is the seam down the back of the neck is very stiff. I'm not sure if it is poor stitching or they were trying to keep the head from flopping around. Mine is actually the gigantic one. I have a 28" Duffy and wanted a big Shellie to match.

I have somewhere around 10 Duffy and Shelliemay in my home (kids have theirs, I have mine). All of them except the fake had a hang tag attached attached directly to the ear and printed on thick, glossy paper as you'd see on other stuffed animals (think the TY tags on beanie boos, etc). The fake had the tag in a pouch as yours. It was printed on textured paper that is almost lined, and it had that white tag behind it. I emailed the seller and he admitted it was fake and refunded my money. He was in China. I should have known. I thought Disney was cracking down on this with the new park opening. But these frauds are still popping up.

Duffy is very, very special to us. My son was afraid to ride anything at Disneyland after I scared him to death on Radiatir Springs. So I told him the story of Duffy, and how Duffy kept Mickey safe on his adventures. Then I bought my son the 60th Duffy, and my son rode everything with Duffy in tow. I was so excited to have Shelliemay in the states, but so sad to get a fake. Signs were there, but hindsight is always better.

I'm sorry to hear that... :/ But I have seen real Shellie May were the tags come in a pouch and have the textured paper. In fact it's how it's supposed to be according to some other ''fake or not shellie may'' thread. But anyways the quality of my bear is awesome and I will still love her no matter what!

Years ago there were obvious ways to spot fakes. But I compared this fake to my Shellie straight from the park. She is very very similar. Again says made in Vietnam (correct) instead of China (incorrect). Her legs are shaped properly, not straight barrels (incorrect). Her bow is on elastic (correct) instead of glued or sewn on (incorrect). The mickeys are the same shape and size as my giant Duffy straight from Disney.

Three very subtle things give it away: the hang tag, the seem at the neck, and the material is just very, very slightly cheaper. The material issue is very hard to spot, but sitting next to Duffy I can see it.

I do love Shelli too. But I have issue with the artistic licensing of Disney products being violated. I'm a HUGE Disney fan. This just isn't okay for me. Artistic licensing and trademarks are vital.

I took a couple pics. I got two that appear different. Notice the placement of the eye and the size of the eyelashes. Also the paw definition is quite different. I bought my Shellie from the Shop Disney Park app, which included receipts from the stores she was picked from. All legitimate receipts and stores at Disney parks.

Ugh. Can't figure out how to post them here off my iPad. Is there a way to do that?

I may be wrong about the hang tag. I see them on the textured paper from reputable sellers. But the paws and eyelash differences almost certainly do give it away. Her third eyelash is so small on the real ones. You nearly can't see it. I can't figure out how to post the pics from my iPad, and I hate putting pics online.

Do you mind saying where you bought yours and if eBay what the sellers name is?

I may be wrong about the hang tag. I see them on the textured paper from reputable sellers. But the paws and eyelash differences almost certainly do give it away. Her third eyelash is so small on the real ones. You nearly can't see it. I can't figure out how to post the pics from my iPad, and I hate putting pics online.

Do you mind saying where you bought yours and if eBay what the sellers name is?

Hey! Sorry I lost this thread and wasn't able to find it! The Shellie May I bought should have been from Tokyo Disney Sea, and I have read at some places that the tag from the 2 places are indeed different. I will try to find the seller, and get back to you with that. Thanks y'all for your answers! I still love my Shellie May! :)

I have an authentic Shellie May which a friend got for me when he went to Tokyo Disney Sea.

I'll take a picture of it when I get home.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter