How to spend $1 million at Disney World...help!

WDW4us2003

Mouseketeer
For a class project, my 12 year old daughter has to figure out a way to spend one million dollars. She has decided to travel to each of the Disney Theme Parks.....WDW, Disneyland, California Adventure, Euro Disney and Tokyo Disneyland. It sounds very easy, but it's not, since everything she spends has to be the "actual" amount. She can estimate the cost of food, souvenirs, etc., but she needs help finding the most outrageously expensive accommodations, attractions, activities, etc. at the parks and in the resorts. She figured she would do a week or so at each one. WDW we can do, but what about the others?? There will be five adults and two kids, 13 and 12 on the "trip".

Any info, or where I could find it, would be most helpful!! Thanks in advance.:earsboy:

try all the major liqidators like

www.orbitz.com and www.travelocity.com

most of them have great plans for all of the above.

Try to do the "Platinum Plan" at WDW for everyone that should eat up some cash. lol

What a fun assignment!

Also, have her "go shopping" at one of the Art of Disney stores.

My daughter did this same project a few years ago.

Here's how she approached it.

She decided to do a Disney around the world.

There were 25 kids in her class, and each kid was allowed to bring 1 other person with them, for a total of 50 people.

We "booked" 50 seats on the Concorde (can't do this anymore, but you could book them first class--it uses up more money). We used Orbitz, Expedia and United websites for exact prices. The 50 people flew to France to visit Disneyland Paris. We found ticket and hotel prices on the website and also through a travel agent. Also, don't forget limos from the airport to the hotel. We budgeted $150/day per family for food (this can be adjusted up or down if you have money left at the end).

Then we found airfare to Tokyo Disney, and booked hotel rooms and limos there, adding the cost of tickets and food.

We then booked airfare to Disneyland, 25 rooms at the Grand Californian, tickets and limos from the airport.

From there we booked the same for WDW, including 25 rooms at the Grand Floridian, using the prices found on the WDW website.

Each family was given a new set of luggage, prices were found at Kohls.com, I believe. Each family was also given a digital camera, with prices found at a local camera store.

We then totalled up how much we spent, subtracted the total from the one million and then divided the balance between the 50 people for souvenier money.

It's been awhile since we did this, so I may have forgotten something. If you need any more help or suggestions, please let me know. I may even have the project floating around the house somewhere.

I have to say, this is definitely not a project most kids could do on their own. Most companies don't take kids seriously when they call for prices and such. I usually don't help my kids with projects, but they really do need assistance on this one. Good luck!

:D

All of that sounds really great, but wouldn't it be nice for her to try to incorporate, somehow, something charitable with the money? Maybe take some terminally-ill children along so they can have a "wish come true"?

That would use up some of the money and teach a valuable lesson in giving...

This sounds like a great project. Make sure to post and let us know how she comes up with spending the $. This may be a project that I try to work into our homeschool. It would be something extra to have them work on together.

Ohh this sounds like fun. I want to do this project!;)
Is she going on DCL too? Back to back 7 day cruises in the Walt Suite could eat up a nice chunk of change.

Make sure to price it during the highest price season! And maybe add a cruise for a land/sea type thing?

Maybe she could visit DVC and buy some points for future use? That would use up some money fast!

I can do that by only going to one park. I'd buy a $999,000 house in Celebration and use the other $1,000 for PAP's for the family!

Just kidding - this is a great project though! I know that some of the presidential-type suites are mega expensive at the Grand Floridian.

Aren't there things like "Presidential Suites" at the Grand Floridian?

How about offering to make MK "Free Entry Day" for all who attend on a day like Christmas...or a spring break day? What's the cut-off amount for attendance? Bet that would eat it right up. ;)

Get her into pin trading......that will suck several thousands down the tube in seconds flat. **sigh**:earseek: :earseek:

She should call WDW and tell them about the project and get an approximate cost to close the parks for just the class.

Cause you know if you're gonna spend a million dollars are Disney, you don't really want to waste your time waiting in line. :)

You guys are awesome! I knew I came to the right place for help. Keep those suggestions coming. Someone mentioned that it really is a hard project for kids to do on their own, and that is why I am trying to help her. If I can steer her in the right direction, as far as web sites, etc., that would be great.

Does anyone know how much the Presidential Suites cost per night, in season, at the resorts??It's difficult to find that information on the official sites. Also, the Walt Disney Suite on DCL???

Thank you all so much for your help. She will be thrilled.:earsboy:

Could she purchase the maximum amount of points for DVC while she's there? That would take a nice little chunk out. Get daily spa treatments, dine only at Victoria & Alberts, purchase lots of the little bricks or whatever they are at Epcot & Magic Kingdom, at about $5 a piece, she could buy 200,000 Mylar Mickey Balloons. Rent a grand villa at Old Keywest or Boardwalk (do they have them there?) for a month or 2. I don't know if I could do it, but I would like to really be given the chance. Good Luck

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter