• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

How to save $ on electric bill?

I live in CT and I signed up for this. Rates are cheaper. It states that they are going to expand to New Jersey. You might want to look into it. There might be another company already in New Jersey that you can sign up with.
http://www.ppandu.com/sign-up.aspx

Thanks for the replies!

I called PSEG and asked about doing a rate comparison (I've only lived at this apartment since May). The woman told me they don't do that.

I went on line and was playing around with the site - it estimates how much your bill should be based on different factors. Somewhat entertaining.

It was colder the month I was away - by about 10 degrees. But since I wasn't using anything aside from heat I assumed my bill would be fine.

I'll have to look into the window tape this weekend.

I've talked to some people that live nearby and one of their bills was quite high too; at least I'm not the only one:rolleyes:

And now I've learned all these ways to cut back, so even if my bill is high next month it will definitely be a bit lower when it gets warmer and I'm not using the heat!

Electric heat's a deal breaker - even if no one is home. I'll bet that is where the big increase came from - especially with the cold cold weather this past month or so.

You've checked the obvious culprits, and PPs have made good suggestions - my only other suggestion is your refrigerator - is it running efficiently?

Maddle

Not sure if this your first place or if this could be your first place with electric heat but Maddle is RIGHT. Electric heat is very expensive. Our house is electric everything and in the winter our bill can be twice as much as the summer months with ac on. Our company even has a electric heat tier where I *think* we have to pay more because we use it to heat with.

Our school district is even trying to add energy days where we have a few days off in Feb. next year because its cheaper to cool the school rather than heat it.

Does anyone know which is better and makes electricty cheaper LED or CFL bulbs??? We got a huge bill too and now I am trying to find ways to save on bascially everything.

Does your electric company offer budget billing? I use this and pay a set amount each month, regardless of whether the actual bill is higher or lower for 11 months, then in the 12th month I pay the difference. Last year we actually paid nothing in the 12th month and went into the next year with a credit. My electric company also offers this on a quarterly basis if you're worried about that. Also, you can stop the budget billing at any time, just a click of the mouse.

Does anyone know which is better and makes electricty cheaper LED or CFL bulbs??? We got a huge bill too and now I am trying to find ways to save on bascially everything.

LEDs are better than CFLs, but they are still relatively expensive compared to CFLs.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter