How to prepare for ToT? Help!

I go on TOT everytime im at DHS. I love the themeing of it but i get nervous everytime. The last time i went on it was a walk on so i had no time to prepare myself. I usually just close my eyes and hang on. My mom is scared of heights and has been on it, now she skips it because she doesnt like all the walking you have to do to get to it.

Ive only been on RNR once like 10 years ago because i pretty much can take or leave coasters. Last month i went to Universal with friends that love coasters so i went on Rip Ride Rocket, The Hulk and Dragon Challenge. And ive been on Cracken and Manta at Seas World so i might try RNR again next time i go.

I'm apparently a "HUGE chicken" according to my family. My mom and I are going for our 17th trip and I've NEVER been on ToT...literally. When the ride opened, I was around three when it first opened so there was a good reason why I didn't go on it.

I stopped riding RnR when I was about 13-14 because I don't like loops and I had a problem because I'm not the ideal height for the seat and restraint and my head banged back and fourth on the restrant the whole time and it's not soft. I had a headache for the rest of the day, unfortunately, and couldn't really enjoy my day in the park because of it. :sad2: My cousins, who are 19 (like me but I'm a few weeks older) and 16, have been riding ToT for YEARS and, along with my Mom, they've been trying to get me on. My problem is I'm afraid of heights and falling. I have no problem on the mountains (I LOVE them) or Test Track and I went on Everest once because I don't really like going backwards but I'm thinking about doing it again.

My question is does it feel like your falling or being pulled down? I don't know which is worse but I'm just curious.

This is DD's favourite ride. She went on it when she was 4 and comes off wanting to do it all over again. Her strategy whe she's doing a new thrill ride is to see whether there's anyone smaller than her riding, but hasn't had to do that with T of T. Has had people ask her about it in line as a way of reassuring themselves or kids though - we must look like T of T residents!

I however was majorly scared before riding, but loved it after the first go and makes me giggle rather than scream during. I think the thought of the drop is worse than the actual experience. It's not like the drop on EE or Splash, but you end up with a sort of weightless feeling thats really cool. Once you start the series of drops it is fairly quickly over

The whole intro and theming is beautifully done, but designed to raise the anticipation, and have the imagineers messing with your heads. The CMs also do their bit to scare the unwary. The bit I was most scared of before I rode was wondering when they were going to start dropping us - so it is worth looking at a film beforehand to get the timing right. That way it makes you feel in control. Also you can pretty much predict that you will get the brilliant view of the park just before you experience a big drop.

We did go backstage once, when DD was almost in tears because she was still little, behind someone tall and couldn't see herself in the ride photo afterwards. A very kind CM whisked us off backstage, up in their (non-haunted) lift to ride again in the front row.

Yeah, I too read the TheGoofster's post about his experience with his little girl, which was touching and the reason I didn't post the following on his thread...

There was one thing about his thread and another post here on your thread that needs to be clarified. At no point on this ride do you drop 13 stories. That is simply a marketing ploy. 13 stories is approximately 130 feet and it takes WAY longer than 4 seconds to drop 130 feet (4 seconds is a generous estimation of the time it takes for any one drop on ToT). You drop several times and I am pretty sure that even the combined footage of the drops you make doesn't equal 130 feet.

This info was not meant to put a damper on anyone's spirits or to be a contrarian. I simply did it to ease the OP's mind if she didn't know this already.

Also, as someone else posted, RnR has no similarity to ToT....not even as a comparison of general anxiety you might feel when getting on a ride. This is because many people are affected differently by ToT's dropping sensation. I love this ride, but always feel anxious when I hear, "The Click."

I've been trying to talk myself into doing this ride for several years. I've done every other ride (except the Astro Orbiter for some reason), but this one gets to me. I'm not a fan of drops, I'll tolerate them on coasters to be able to experience the rest of the ride.. My DS, however, loves ToT, but refuses to do anything that goes upside down, simply on the principle of being upside down. We've made a tentative deal for our upcoming trip that he will try RnRC if I try ToT. This thread has been very helpful in making me feel slightly more prepared - listen for the click, pay attention to when the AC goes away. Got it.

There was one thing about his thread and another post here on your thread that needs to be clarified. At no point on this ride do you drop 13 stories. That is simply a marketing ploy. 13 stories is approximately 130 feet and it takes WAY longer than 4 seconds to drop 130 feet (4 seconds is a generous estimation of the time it takes for any one drop on ToT). You drop several times and I am pretty sure that even the combined footage of the drops you make doesn't equal 130 feet.

This info was not meant to put a damper on anyone's spirits or to be a contrarian. I simply did it to ease the OP's mind if she didn't know this already.

DUDE! I've been searching lots of threads on Dis for this type of info, and so far you are the most helpful (no offense, anyone else!). Hubby was asking what the maximum number of "floors" you might drop at one time, or do you drop all 13 at once. Most people have been giving answers about you drop 8 times or 4 times or a few seconds, or whatever, and while it's helpful, it's good to see proof (somewhat) that it does NOT do all 13 at one time, and that 4 seconds seems to be the max time you are actually dropping.

I guess I'm a Numbers Gal, and logical answers make me feel better!
:confused3:rotfl:

(Although, if anyone can tell me how many 'stories' is the max drop, I would appreciate it :cutie: )

I didn't read all the post. But, I rode it last year, I was scared to pieces before. I just focused on...it will not hurt me. TONS of people walk on and OFF this ride.

Once on the ride was a different story. Going up was the worst part for me actually. The drop was fine. I didn't like the "pressure" I felt when we were going back up to drop again.

YOU can do this. It's a ride, nothing will hurt you. I felt AMAZING afterwards. i was proud of myself. This may be silly, but I wanted so much to ride this ride. 5 years ago my father comitted suicide. Since then, I have chose to LIVE. Have fun, take risk (at Disney) because those risks are safe even if I am scared of the ride itself. So, NOTHING at disney will hurt you. You are safe. :scared1:

I didn't read all the post. But, I rode it last year, I was scared to pieces before. I just focused on...it will not hurt me. TONS of people walk on and OFF this ride.

Once on the ride was a different story. Going up was the worst part for me actually. The drop was fine. I didn't like the "pressure" I felt when we were going back up to drop again.

YOU can do this. It's a ride, nothing will hurt you. I felt AMAZING afterwards. i was proud of myself. This may be silly, but I wanted so much to ride this ride. 5 years ago my father comitted suicide. Since then, I have chose to LIVE. Have fun, take risk (at Disney) because those risks are safe even if I am scared of the ride itself. So, NOTHING at disney will hurt you. You are safe. :scared1:

Thank you for this, think-like-tink! I truly admire your spirit and new outlook on life. I can't think of a better place to have fun and take "safe" risks than at Disney! :goodvibes

I'll try to remember your words on my way up . . . ;)

I don't know the exact distance you move, yes I said move not fall. It is quicker than the rate that an object would fall normally just using the earth's gravity because the car is pulled down not just allowed to free fall.

So I guess yes it can be 130 ft and still only take 4 seconds, every resource I can find says around 130 ft. The tower itself is 199 ft. I'm trying to remember the sequence of the ride but you do go up hill to get to the boarding station so I'm thinking you are already 20 to 30 "up" in the tower that's how they can "drop" you right away.

Thank you for this, think-like-tink! I truly admire your spirit and new outlook on life. I can't think of a better place to have fun and take "safe" risks than at Disney! :goodvibes

I'll try to remember your words on my way up . . . ;)

You can do it! I can't wait to hear all about it when you get home. BTW, my ds7 was in the middle of dh and I, the guy to my right quickly became my bestfriend!! He was laughing at me the whole time.

Before last year's trip we showed DD4 the YouTube videos to show her there was nothing to worry about. Deep down my heart was POUNDING! I do NOT like this ride due to my fear of heights and falling. However, holding onto the hand of my little DD4 and telling her there was nothing to worry about I had to put on my fake strong face.

Here is DD4 on her first ride!!!!
2010-12-19_08-21-26_788.jpg

I'm the one screaming (yet smiling) in the back corner. You see my DD4 next to me is laughing the whole way down. By the 9th time down on this thing I was numb to falling. It does not help much with my fear for this upcoming trip this year...but I can get through it.

Stop measuring how tall it is, how many times it's going to drop, etc....becuase YOU WILL NOT BE IN CONTROL, but you will be fine. Be the brave one and show your children that you can face your fears. It's a good example for them and a great lesson.

You can do it and we will all be with you!

Pack additional underwear, make sure no one has a camera, and then run as fast as you can and .......:rotfl2:. Just kidding. You'll be fine.

The anticipation is worse than the real thing. :scared1:Remember the apparently bloodcurdling screams are from people like me who scream on every drop and are just happy but loud! Find something distracting to do / think about in line and go for it!

Several people have mentioned Dramime (sp?) to counteract motion sickness in the parks. I am very curious about this. I am not really afraid of any ride but I get motion sickness so easily that even space mountian makes me a little queasy for the rest of the day. I would love to take something to help with this. My big concern though - are there any side effects. Are you sleepy all day?

Thanks so much - I would be so excited if it actually works! ToT and RnR are on our list for our trip this August. First time on these rides for all of us. The kids are getting more adventurous each year - this year's goal is to do every thrill ride in the parks!

I have never enjoyed RRC - I come off disoriented every time I ride it - and I've ridden roller coasters since I was a kid, but I absolutely love ToT - it's been my favorite ride since my oldest dd's and my first real trip in 1994 (I had been to the MK one day when I was 16). The ride is awesome, the effects are not to be missed and the drops are only in the last few seconds of the ride. I'm assuming it's the drops you are afraid of and not the rest of the ride. Just try to relax and they are a lot of fun - most of the screaming you hear from outside is "fun" screaming, not scared screaming if that makes sense. My dd7 was finally tall enough on the trip just before her 6th birthday and she has now joined me with it being her favorite ride (she loves all of rides except Dinosaur and she hasn't ridden Primeval Whirl yet because she wasn't tall enough).

Last year - 2010... went with DS5. I was really hoping he would get scared so I could use him as an excuse to chicken exit... no such luch!!! :mad:

Went on Tower of Terror in 2009 and 2010.... each time, all the stuff leading up to the actual drops is what is scary. If I start getting into the theme.... my anxiety goes up.... so I just daydreamed about other things a little here and there and didn't pay attention. Once the ups and downs of the drop started, I just held on tight! Really, it was over very quick.... When I realized the ride was over, I started breathing again.... Really.... take some good breaths during the ride.

I also keep thinking about the very cool t-shirts they sell in the TOT gift shop. I ride to earn myself and DS one of those shirts.

Have fun!!!

The best thing I can think of is something we told our friends kids (Ages 6, 8 and 9 at the time)the first time we went with them "Mickey would NEVER hurt you" they bought it! ;)

This is DD's favourite ride. She went on it when she was 4 and comes off wanting to do it all over again. Her strategy when she's doing a new thrill ride is to see whether there's anyone smaller than her riding, but hasn't had to do that with T of T. Has had people ask her about it in line as a way of reassuring themselves or kids though - we must look like T of T residents!

I however was majorly scared before riding, but loved it after the first go and makes me giggle rather than scream during. I think the thought of the drop is worse than the actual experience. It's not like the drop on EE or Splash, but you end up with a sort of weightless feeling thats really cool. Once you start the series of drops it is fairly quickly over

The whole intro and theming is beautifully done, but designed to raise the anticipation, and have the imagineers messing with your heads. The CMs also do their bit to scare the unwary. The bit I was most scared of before I rode was wondering when they were going to start dropping us - so it is worth looking at a film beforehand to get the timing right. That way it makes you feel in control. Also you can pretty much predict that you will get the brilliant view of the park just before you experience a big drop.

We did go backstage once, when DD was almost in tears because she was still little, behind someone tall and couldn't see herself in the ride photo afterwards. A very kind CM whisked us off backstage, up in their (non-haunted) lift to ride again in the front row.

The anticipation is worse than the real thing. :scared1:Remember the apparently bloodcurdling screams are from people like me who scream on every drop and are just happy but loud! Find something distracting to do / think about in line and go for it!
Yes, yes and YES!!! ToT is my favourite thing to ride, and how I wish I were there right now! Go. Enjoy. And report back if you like it or not!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter