How to make visit to WDW enjoyable for grandma?

zilp

Mouseketeer
We are planning on taking a family trip to WDW next May. It will include DH, me, our 3 kids and my mom. We will be visiting the four parks for the week. I am wondering how I can make this trip enjoyable for her.

A bit of back story: This past spring break we all went to Orlando, but focused on Busch Gardens, Legoland and SeaWorld. My mom is in her mid 70's and pretty active for her age (goes walking multiple times a week for exercise). My mom made a joking comment after our trip that she was trying to catch up with us all week while visiting the parks. I felt really badly because I realized that she was right. Because it was busy Spring Break season, we had a touring plan that kept us busy all day from park opening to 4-5pm. I now realize that we need to make sure this doesn't happen again. Now that I know that she won't complain if she's tired, I want to think ahead how to make sure she has fun and gets a chance to rest.

On this trip to WDW, we are renting a 3BR condo. We plan on coming back to the room to take rest breaks in the afternoon and then plan on heading out back to the parks for the evening. I will be getting grocery delivery and except for breakfast, I will cook meals or we will go out to eat.

So dear readers, any other tips that I am overlooking?? TIA!!

eta, I have not started building our touring plans, so any tips about specific parks would be helpful.

I'm taking my mother this trip and she will be turning 70. We rented a scooter for the week so she won't feel like she has to keep up with us. Actually, we spent alot of time chasing her. Definitely make time for rest breaks though my mother can keep going all day long. My mother swore she would NEVER do wdw again because she can't handle all that walking but the scooter really did help.

Is there any way you can stay on property? That way she can go back to the room on her own if/when she is feeling tired. We also travel with grandparents and staying on property lets them have a bit more flexibility.

We own DVC and the villas are perfect for extended family trips. You can rent points from members if you aren't one yourself, or you could rent through a point rental agency. Check out the DVC DISBoards if you are interested.

A mother daughter visit to the park of her choice for 2 or 3 hours, and let your husband and children hang at the pool. You will love the time you share with her, just you and her :) and remember it forever.

How about talking with her and seeing if she would prefer to tour only one part of the day, since you are coming back for afternoon breaks? Maybe she like to just chill at the condo for a part of the day. And then make a plan with her and try to make the part of the day that she comes along on the most special part, a nice meal, put the shows in that part of the day, etc..

Being a grandparent who loves WDW and goes frequently I agree with keeping the pace manageable. A scooter helps a lot. I understand folks want to get in all they can, but sometimes older guests get the most enjoyment just soaking up the atmosphere. A scooter will help grandma keep up from point A to point B and setting your pace to accomodate her will also help. When I'm with friends and/or family who move faster than I do I often find a place to hang out while they go from ride to ride.

I am taking my dad to DW in November and am worried about the same thing. My immediate family loves rope drop and we are on the go for most of our vacations. I have been trying to come up with a plan that mingles some sleep in days with some rope drop days, some park evenings with some resort evenings. We are doing deluxe dining so that I am forced to stop and spend resting time eating at least 2 sit-down meals a day, usually one of which is a signature restaurant. I also plan on seeing a show maybe once an hour for resting time. My dad is very active and I have to keep reminding myself that he is 72 and will need to take more breaks than I am used to.

Does your mom have any interests that you could carve out special time for on your trip. For instance, my mom (68 YO) loves gardening. So this trip, we are going to do the Behind the Seeds Tour. She's super excited.

my mom went once in her 70's and I had the kids with me..and it was very trying for me to keep the 2 age generations happy. Kids were so bummed they hardly got to ride anything and mom swore we were putting her on a death march

she was suppose to ask for a scooter or get one if she needed, but she never would(pride)

so my hint is just get the scooter or a wheel chair and have it whether she wants it or not

also my moms pride she wouldn't go back to the resort..her spirit was very willing to keep up, but her body wasn't

that said my mom is also the type that wont just sit on a bench and people watch..she would rather complain than entertain herself

I have some fantastic memories that trip and I have some not so great ones..

if she were to come again we agreed we would do it with a scooter so at least we wouldn't wear out her legs!

and my kids are old enough now I can turn them loose so mom and I can just sit and enjoy the sights

I'll echo what PPers have said (I have travelled 3x w/ an 85 yo):

1. If at all possible, consider staying on site so mom can feel free to go back to the room on her own.
2. PLEASE consider an ECV.
3. Discuss in advance that she needs to be frank and let you know when she is tired. :-) And be accepting (as I'm sure you will!) if she does not wish to return to the parks for a second time.

DHS was "my" senior's favorite. She enjoyed all of the shows so much.

AKL is perhaps the most challenging. Hills, uneven pavement and seems to be hotter than the other parks on super warm days.

Of all the parks, be at MK at rope drop and hit FL and FLE hard before the crowds move in. She will really enjoy watching the children here.

My mother (almost 70) comes with us every August. She stays behind at the resort in the morning and hangs out at the pool. She loves meeting people and talking at the pool. We do the big rides in the morning that she usually isn't interested in. After lunch she meets up with us. We stay on site so it is easy for her to take the bus. Once she meets us we ride Small World, haunted Mansion and rides that are more her style. We also save the shows for when she gets there. She stays with us for dinner and usually stays with us until we head back. Sometimes she takes the bus back after dinner and relaxes at the resort.

we are bringing my MIL and her best friend to our trip. They are both 65.

The are both super early risers so I know we will make rope drop most days. We stayed on property so that they can come and go as they please. We have dinner scheduled together and they wanted to do the seeds tour at Epcot.

They both have no problems waiting for us on rides they don't want to ride. I am hoping everything goes smoothly!!

We are taking my almost 80 year old Mother to Disney this year. She is not big on rides, but she enjoys being out and about and feeling like she is part of things. We already know she is not going to keep up with us all day, so she wants to find a place to sit, read a book, enjoy a snack and people watch. Any suggestions on places within the parks that she can relax and enjoy herself? We are planning on spending time in Magic Kingdom, HS, and Epcot. Also, what are the odds that when we arrive at the parks we will be able to rent a wheel chair. Will there be any available after the park opens? (We will not be at rope drop). Are we better off renting one for her? We will not be staying at a Disney Resort, so she can't return to the room to rest.

My mom and I go to WDW almost every year (she's 77). Like your mom she's in good health and doesn't have any mobility issues.

What I've found works best for us is to try to do a couple of things and then find something where you sit down for a while in air-conditioning. Neither one of us like the big thrill rides so we tend to skip those, which may not work for you with having children with you. If there's something I want to ride but she doesn't (such as ToT), I find a nice shady area nearby for her to sit on a bench with a book and she has a bit of a rest while waiting for me (I get a fast pass so she doesn't wait too long.)

Some of our favorite "rest" rides are: Monster's Inc., Carousel of Progress, Hall of Presidents, Art of Animation, any of the shows at DHS, American Idol, shows at Animal Kingdom, movies in the countries at the World Showcase, Universe of Energy.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter