how to make Star Wars attractions more meaningful?

fireflyer

Mouseketeer
I'm NOT a Star Wars fan. (I'm not a Star Wars hater, I just find it dull.)

I've been on RotR (horribly long wait even with $ILL), and the other one at HS (can't even remember its name).

I'll be bringing a new crowd with me next spring. WHAT MOVIE should we watch in advance, to get the biggest thrill/satisfaction out of the 2 Star Wars rides? I feel like if I had prepped myself ahead of time by watching something about Star Wars, the rides may've been more relatable.

I'll never be a true Star Wars fan, but I CAN "get into the moment" if I'm adequately primed. I know there's a bunch of Star Wars movies... which are the ones I need to watch ahead-of-time, in order to maximize satisfaction on the Hollywood Studios rides?
Tell me the top 2 movies to watch ahead-of-time...

The last trilogy will give you characters from ROTR, some of the star tours story lines and several walk-around characters.
Original trilogy will give you the rest of the walk-around, MFSR and a good hunk of the star tours story lines.
Avoid the prequels for your own benefit.
Or just Google the characters that appear in galaxies edge and watch the first movies released (a new hope?) to get the vibe.

You just need to watch Episode 7: the Force Awakens. This will introduce the characters, the factions, the Millenium Falcon.
I agree. If you're only going to watch one movie, Episode 7 gives you the most.

Be aware that Batuu (the planet you visit at DHS) is not shown in any of the Star Wars movies. The Imagineers did that intentionally so that they'd have the freedom to portray any Star Wars characters from any films or novels.

I'm kind of in the same boat as OP, I like Star Wars but I'm not a huge fan. I'm finding the Force Awakens recommendations interesting as I watched it again a few days ago and thought it was very entertaining.

For me what could make the attractions more meaningful would be the possibility to enjoy them without waiting in a long line or jumping through hoops on the phone. Meanwhile, I'll just avoid them and make room for more the die-hards to enjoy them. I'll be over at TOT if you need me.;)

I'm kind of in the same boat as OP, I like Star Wars but I'm not a huge fan. I'm finding the Force Awakens recommendations interesting as I watched it again a few days ago and thought it was very entertaining.

For me what could make the attractions more meaningful would be the possibility to enjoy them without waiting in a long line or jumping through hoops on the phone. Meanwhile, I'll just avoid them and make room for more the die-hards to enjoy them. I'll be over at TOT if you need me.;)
TOT was my favorite Disney attraction before Rise of the Resistance came along (and also Battle for the Sunken treasure in Shanghay, to be honest), so not a bed choice.
However... Rise of the Resistance is in another league. It's not really an attraction, it's an  experience. It lives up to the hipe and possibly it's even better. It's worth the effort required to experience it.

(And currently, with the stealth refurbishment of one of the elevators, TOT has very long lines too)

I'm NOT a Star Wars fan. (I'm not a Star Wars hater, I just find it dull.)

I've been on RotR (horribly long wait even with $ILL), and the other one at HS (can't even remember its name).

I'll be bringing a new crowd with me next spring. WHAT MOVIE should we watch in advance, to get the biggest thrill/satisfaction out of the 2 Star Wars rides? I feel like if I had prepped myself ahead of time by watching something about Star Wars, the rides may've been more relatable.

I'll never be a true Star Wars fan, but I CAN "get into the moment" if I'm adequately primed. I know there's a bunch of Star Wars movies... which are the ones I need to watch ahead-of-time, in order to maximize satisfaction on the Hollywood Studios rides?
Tell me the top 2 movies to watch ahead-of-time...
I fall into that category of being able to experience the original Star Wars as a kid back in '77 when it first came out, so it was a big deal to me growing up. I would strongly suggest watching the original Star Wars, now considered #4 in the series, Star Wars A New Hope. This movie features the Millenium Falcon quite a bit, which is the basis for the ride Millenium Falcon Smugglers Run. As for which other one, I think it would need to be any of the last three movies. My biggest disappointment with Galaxy's Edge, as someone who grew up with the original series, I really feel no connection to Batu (Galaxy's Edge). It's beautifully designed, but I just don't connect. It would be like over at Universal if they put the two Harry Potter Worlds in a location that had no meaning to the books, hey lets put one land set in Cambridge and the other in Cornwall. That's how I feel about Galaxy's Edge. Unless you are going to build a droid or light saber, found the shops very lame. Anyhow, there is more connection in Galaxy's Edge, imo, to movies 7-8-9 than any other movie. RoR is based on the last trilogy, so I'd pick one to watch from that group (#9 would be my choice).

I would watch episode 7. I would avoid 8 and especially 9 as they are just bad (not as bad as episode 1).
Episode 7 really gives you everything you need to know.
, I really feel no connection to Batu (Galaxy's Edge). It's beautifully designed, but I just don't connect. It would be like over at Universal if they put the two Harry Potter Worlds in a location that had no meaning to the books, hey lets put one land set in Cambridge and the other in Cornwall. That's how I feel about Galaxy's Edge. Unless you are going to build a droid or light saber, found the shops very lame. Anyhow, there is more connection in Galaxy's Edge, imo, to movies 7-8-9 than any other movie. RoR is based on the last trilogy, so I'd pick one to watch from that group (#9 would be my choice).
I agree, I find no connection to the land, but enjoy walking around. We enjoy Oga's, but otherwise were not really impressed with the shops.

As far as Galaxy's Edge goes, we find it way more immersive and interesting at night. It feels very different (and somehow more other world) after dark.

Alternatively, if you're more of a reader you can try Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge: Black Spire by Delilah S Dawson. It will give you way more context about Black Spire Outpost, introduce the unique character Vi Morandi (who is working for General Leia Morgana and can be seen wandering around Galaxy's Edge), and probably help you find some easter eggs in the parks that others may miss :) Otherwise, movies 4-7 as others suggested would be helpful.

The last trilogy will give you characters from ROTR, some of the star tours story lines and several walk-around characters.
Original trilogy will give you the rest of the walk-around, MFSR and a good hunk of the star tours story lines.
Avoid the prequels for your own benefit.
Or just Google the characters that appear in galaxies edge and watch the first movies released (a new hope?) to get the vibe.
Wow, thanks to EVERYONE for all the stellar input about Star Wars. I don't know how to quote multiple messages but hope everyone who posted here will see that I appreciated the tips.
I think your comments will help A LOT with bringing "the magic" to our upcoming visit. :thanks:
I'm so excited, I think we'll start with watching #7. Maybe as an older person I'll discover a new passion for the whole series!
Great recommendation about the book to read, too... That never occurred to me at all.

I wish happy touring for all of you,
--Fireflyer

I would recommend you to watch "A New Hope" and "The Empire Strikes Back."
  1. "A New Hope" (1977): Also known as "Star Wars," this is the movie that started it all. It introduces us to the galaxy far, far away and follows the adventures of a young farm boy named Luke Skywalker, who discovers he has the potential to become a Jedi knight. Along with his friends Han Solo and Princess Leia, they set out to save the galaxy from the evil Empire and its enforcer Darth Vader. "A New Hope" is a classic hero's journey tale, and its influence on modern science fiction cannot be overstated.
  2. "The Empire Strikes Back" (1980): Considered by many to be the best Star Wars movie ever made, "The Empire Strikes Back" takes everything that was great about "A New Hope" and amplifies it. The movie sees our heroes face greater challenges and darker threats, with Luke traveling to Dagobah to train under the Jedi master Yoda, while Han and Leia evade the pursuing Empire. Meanwhile, Darth Vader continues his hunt for Luke, leading to one of the most iconic plot twists in movie history. "The Empire Strikes Back" is a masterful blend of action, humor, and drama, and its impact on the Star Wars saga is still felt to this day.
You will get a great introduction to the Star Wars universe and its iconic characters, as well as some of the key themes that have made the series so beloved.

I would recommend you to watch "A New Hope" and "The Empire Strikes Back."
  1. "A New Hope" (1977): Also known as "Star Wars," this is the movie that started it all. It introduces us to the galaxy far, far away and follows the adventures of a young farm boy named Luke Skywalker, who discovers he has the potential to become a Jedi knight. Along with his friends Han Solo and Princess Leia, they set out to save the galaxy from the evil Empire and its enforcer Darth Vader. "A New Hope" is a classic hero's journey tale, and its influence on modern science fiction cannot be overstated.
  2. "The Empire Strikes Back" (1980): Considered by many to be the best Star Wars movie ever made, "The Empire Strikes Back" takes everything that was great about "A New Hope" and amplifies it. The movie sees our heroes face greater challenges and darker threats, with Luke traveling to Dagobah to train under the Jedi master Yoda, while Han and Leia evade the pursuing Empire. Meanwhile, Darth Vader continues his hunt for Luke, leading to one of the most iconic plot twists in movie history. "The Empire Strikes Back" is a masterful blend of action, humor, and drama, and its impact on the Star Wars saga is still felt to this day.
You will get a great introduction to the Star Wars universe and its iconic characters, as well as some of the key themes that have made the series so beloved.

Listen to what is said here. The original trilogy captures the essence of Star Wars like the new disneyfied stuff just cannot accomplish. Of the Disney movies, the first one The Force Awakens is the better one. Don't waste your time with the Last Jedi as you will never know the wonder of the real Luke Skywalker and not some grumpy old man that is mad at the galaxy. The second Disney movie (Rian Johnson) messed up the story so much that JJ Abrams could'nt really bring it back in the final installment. Look at the profit made on the three Disney movies if want to see how the sales really dried as the series went along.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter