How to make camping bearable for someone who hates it?

My best memories was of my rand parents taking us camping, I started camping right away with my kids and we go at least 8 times from May until October. We have a pop up with just the basics (no heat, a-c, bathroom). It basically keeps us off the ground. My kids loved it growing up. I have two left that still will camp and I plan on taking my grand kids. Great memories.

While I can tell you want others to share your love of camping, what you just described sound like my weekends only it is done in the comfort of my home.

Oh yeah, right down to the deer that my neighbor hand feeds. Sorry. All that catching fire flies and picking berries, Sorry I would never fork over any amount of money for that.

Glad you enjoy it, what you describe above sounds like a totally rotten vacation to me. I don't need anyone to teach me how to do something that I would get no enjoyment out of. In short, I would rather do to the dentist.

ETA. Don't need a flat lake, we have the ocean where we can build sand castles, my DD can surf. Then we can go back home, sower in the privacy of our own home in a VERY large shower and then fo our to a nice dinner. And I really do hate all types of board and card games. Yes I am rotten. I like being entertained. I love TV restaurants and WDW, or the beach for a day. The rest that you described, I will leave it for you, you love it, but it sounds like pure torture to me, and that is no exageration, it really isn't.

Everyone has different ideas of what is fun and relaxing. I love how she described camping, that is how it is for us there is nothing like it. I have vacationed at Disney and many other places, including all inclusive resorts, the beach, Europe but for some reason, camping is were the best memories are made for us.

Everyone has different ideas of what is fun and relaxing. I love how she described camping, that is how it is for us there is nothing like it. I have vacationed at Disney and many other places, including all inclusive resorts, the beach, Europe but for some reason, camping is were the best memories are made for us.

ITE. We're away from the pressures of home, electronic devices, phones, etc. and we really have time to bond and enjoy each other's company. We spend a lot of time relaxing, reading, playing board games, walking and talking, having nature scavenger hunts, playing horseshoes, and lots more fun, outdoor things. We also love stargazing; the stars are so bright and beautiful away from the city lights.

We eat delicious foods when we're camping. Because we go with other families, we usually try to make foods that people can individualize to their own tastes.

E.g., we'll have a quesadilla bar with chicken, cheese, sauteed onions and bell peppers, tomatoes, and all the other fixins' then let people put what they want on theirs and heat on the griddle.

We also usually have some sort of fruit cobbler cooked in a dutch oven in the fire. Yummy!

Make your own omelet (cooked in plastic baggies in boiling water).

Lowcountry boil--shrimp, sausage, corn, onions, potatoes. Boil on camp stove and then pour over newspaper on picnic table and let everyone pick out what they want.

Sausage and peppers (cooked in aluminum pan over campfire) with marinara over noodles.

We do usually have beef hot dogs once per trip because the kids love cooking them on a stick over campfire.

And of course, S'mores.

I am surprised no one has mentioned "glamping." My sister and I used to go with a group of 10 friends every fall. We rented 6 campsites in a circle (that had water and electricity.) Every year we had a theme and decorated our tents and campsite accordingly. (Movies, songs, the 50's etc.)

We used self-inflatable beds and put pretty sheets and bedspreads on them. We had fans, heaters and electric lights in our tents. We decorated our beds with lacy throw pillows, throw rugs, etc. to make them super feminine and very comfortable. Even the outside of our tents were decorated to match the theme.

We had some of the "regulars" of the camp grounds judge the tents on Saturday evening and gave out prizes. Some of the "regulars" would call the camp grounds to see when we were going to be there and showed up year after year!

We drew names at a meeting a couple of months before the camp out to see which meal each tent would prepare so everyone was responsible for just one meal.....and they were very good! Of course, we had tablecloths, candles and flowers on the tables.

Fun and filled with as much luxury as possible!

I am surprised no one has mentioned "glamping." My sister and I used to go with a group of 10 friends every fall. We rented 6 campsites in a circle (that had water and electricity.) Every year we had a theme and decorated our tents and campsite accordingly. (Movies, songs, the 50's etc.)

We used self-inflatable beds and put pretty sheets and bedspreads on them. We had fans, heaters and electric lights in our tents. We decorated our beds with lacy throw pillows, throw rugs, etc. to make them super feminine and very comfortable. Even the outside of our tents were decorated to match the theme.

We had some of the "regulars" of the camp grounds judge the tents on Saturday evening and gave out prizes. Some of the "regulars" would call the camp grounds to see when we were going to be there and showed up year after year!

We drew names at a meeting a couple of months before the camp out to see which meal each tent would prepare so everyone was responsible for just one meal.....and they were very good! Of course, we had tablecloths, candles and flowers on the tables.

Oooh, pictures? Pretty please?? That sounds like a lot of fun! :goodvibes

What a great idea and how fun! We may have to do this next trip.

I remember a campground near our old hometown that had Halloween festivities the last weekend in October. All the camp sites were decorated and there would be a contest, plus hay rides, trick or treating and at least one haunted camp site. It always filled up a year in advance for that weekend and I never got to go, but it sounds like a blast.

ITE. We're away from the pressures of home, electronic devices, phones, etc. and we really have time to bond and enjoy each other's company. We spend a lot of time relaxing, reading, playing board games, walking and talking, having nature scavenger hunts, playing horseshoes, and lots more fun, outdoor things. We also love stargazing; the stars are so bright and beautiful away from the city lights.

We eat delicious foods when we're camping. Because we go with other families, we usually try to make foods that people can individualize to their own tastes.

E.g., we'll have a quesadilla bar with chicken, cheese, sauteed onions and bell peppers, tomatoes, and all the other fixins' then let people put what they want on theirs and heat on the griddle.

We also usually have some sort of fruit cobbler cooked in a dutch oven in the fire. Yummy!

Make your own omelet (cooked in plastic baggies in boiling water).

Lowcountry boil--shrimp, sausage, corn, onions, potatoes. Boil on camp stove and then pour over newspaper on picnic table and let everyone pick out what they want.

Sausage and peppers (cooked in aluminum pan over campfire) with marinara over noodles.

We do usually have beef hot dogs once per trip because the kids love cooking them on a stick over campfire.

And of course, S'mores.

We do things we wouldn't do at home. Campers are also very friendly and most campground have events. Great for the kids! I Agee, camping is all about the food! We make banana boats- slice a bandanna in half, stuff with choc chips and mini marshmallows and wrap in tin foil. Put on edge of fire and when it's melted, eat with a spoon, it's good. I add nuts. Also, we cook pills bury dough over the fire and add butter and jelly-great in the morning! Can't do that in a hotel room!

I would sooner never take another vacation again. Camping isn't for me..and I've tried it in all it's many varieties (tent, RV, rustic cabin). I'm just not that into nature (bugs, dirt, fire, pollen, etc), or outdoorsy activities like hiking, biking, kayaking, swimming in a lake/ocean, boating, fishing, hunting.

Yes, I think being "outdoorsy" is a bit of a requirement.;) I love nature. I live for it daily.

This morning I was out enjoying the birds. Last night the dogs kept us up late because I have a bunny that has moved into my landscaping somewhere.

One of my dogs was on "bunny patrol" inside the house. She was so helpful to sound the alarm every time Little Rabbit Foo Foo was out yard. :badpc:

I also grew up with a "summer home" in the woods and my dad's vacations consisted of going to different lakes and fishing.:rotfl:

Plus living in Missouri, we are campground central with lakes and rivers.

Exactly, the poster I was responding to was doing her best to show how wonderful it was, I was simply stating that for many of us camping is not and never will be enjoyable for some of us.

I have good friends that camp and for some reason people that like it, just can't seem to get that some of us don't. I just very politely decline each time they ask, they just don't get it even though I have told them repeatedly.

Exactly, the poster I was responding to was doing her best to show how wonderful it was, I was simply stating that for many of us camping is not and never will be enjoyable for some of us.

I have good friends that camp and for some reason people that like it, just can't seem to get that some of us don't. I just very politely decline each time they ask, they just don't get it even though I have told them repeatedly.

I agree, some do not like it! Oh we'll, that is what makes the world go round.

Yes, I think being "outdoorsy" is a bit of a requirement.;) I love nature. I live for it daily.

This morning I was out enjoying the birds. Last night the dogs kept us up late because I have a bunny that has moved into my landscaping somewhere.

One of my dogs was on "bunny patrol" inside the house. She was so helpful to sound the alarm every time Little Rabbit Foo Foo was out yard. :badpc:

I also grew up with a "summer home" in the woods and my dad's vacations consisted of going to different lakes and fishing.:rotfl:

DH & I camped at Sam A. Baker SP once and had a great time. We tubed the river for hours (with a third tube holding the cooler tied to one of our ours). I was so proud of my logistical planning.

The campground was at the put in point, and we planned to float about four hours downstream. So we rented two bikes from the outpost, put them in the car, drove to the take-out point and left the car there, rode the bikes back to the outpost and turned them in, then walked to our campsite and put in the river. Floated for several hours with stops for lunch and nature viewing, then we we took out we had dry towels and a car to ride back to our campsite.

DH & I camped at Sam A. Baker SP once and had a great time. We tubed the river for hours (with a third tube holding the cooler tied to one of our ours). I was so proud of my logistical planning.

The campground was at the put in point, and we planned to float about four hours downstream. So we rented two bikes from the outpost, put them in the car, drove to the take-out point and left the car there, rode the bikes back to the outpost and turned them in, then walked to our campsite and put in the river. Floated for several hours with stops for lunch and nature viewing, then we we took out we had dry towels and a car to ride back to our campsite.

Oh yea, floating in Missouri is one of those things everyone does at some point if not regular.

Nothing like a good float trip to chill out and have some strangers from another raft, tube, or canoe toss you a couple of jello shots.:lmao:

That sounds like so much fun!

Dh is thinking about buying an old FEMA trailer and sticking it out at the hunting camp. Tent camping doesn't have even the slightest appeal to me, but I don't mind the notion of RVing. I have 4G on my new 9" Kindle and a keyboard and okay cell coverage and DH has a gamer's laptop so all the comforts of home.

If he buys a trailer, I'm asking for a used 4 wheeler of my own for Christmas so we can go out on weekends and pursue our own hobbies (mine is archaeology and history; his is fishing and hunting; and we can do both at the camp).

I don't really consider that camping. No one will cook, per se; we'll bring in prepared foods from the deli. I'll have AC, a flush toilet, a bed, a coffee maker, the internet, DirectTV and be able to play computer games.

That was our go to spot for camping when I was a kid. We had a popup and so did our friends. Loved that place.

Most of my float trips have been out of Eminence on the Jacks Fork - great place to float. We'd tent camp at Circle B :)

But the point of the thread wasn't so much to convince people who hate it why thy should love it. Rather, it's for someone who isn't looking forward to it trying to at least tolerate something their SO loves. :)

I consider myself somewhat outdoorsy. I also love nature. But at the end of the day, I want to eat my dinner sans sand. I want to shower in a real shower where I do not have to keep one eye on the humongous spider web in the corner and wonder who is wandering into the communal shower area. I want to crawl into a real bed, not one I need to blow up with a pump. And when I have to get up in the middle of the night to go to the bathroom, I do not want to use a flashlight to find my way. But I do enjoy nature! :lmao:

Like PPs, I HATE camping if it is tent camping. I hate bugs, I hate sleeping in a sleeping bag on the ground (or even a nasty camp cot), I hate being cold, and I hate outhouse-style potties.

Now, I don't mind food cooked over a campfire at all, that is actually one of the things I DO like.

If I can "go camping" in an RV (it has to be big enough to have it's own full-sized bed with soft mattress), and that RV is plugged into electricity in the campground (heat, A/C, fridge, lights, etc), and that campground has real bathrooms, then I am happy to go camping.

I have also gone "camping" in a KOA that offered cabins and yurts. We chose a yurt, and it was OK - we still had to sleep on essentially "cots" with very flat cushions on them, in sleeping bags. But it had heat and lights, and kept the bugs and dampness out. Unfortunately, we didn't realize that a railroad ran in such close proximity; every hour or so the freight trains went by and blew their whistles at crossings... over, and over, and over...:sad2:

I would say that if you want to go, because you want to go with your spouse or family, you guys will need to come up with an RV or quite civilized cabin for accommodations. Your spouse should understand that and be willing to make sacrifices so you can go along. My spouse and I? We've come to an arrangement. He goes camping/fishing/etc with his buddies and lives like Grizzly Adams for a weekend; I go shopping and out to dinner with my girlfriends and sleep in my own bed. ;)

I consider myself somewhat outdoorsy. I also love nature. But at the end of the day, I want to eat my dinner sans sand. I want to shower in a real shower where I do not have to keep one eye on the humongous spider web in the corner and wonder who is wandering into the communal shower area. I want to crawl into a real bed, not one I need to blow up with a pump. And when I have to get up in the middle of the night to go to the bathroom, I do not want to use a flashlight to find my way. But I do enjoy nature! :lmao:

Well yea, there is THAT. Picky, picky.:lmao:

I do prefer cabin rental over tent camping that is for sure.

This is so me! And turns out is DH too!!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter