How to make an easy tutu and hair bows~updated!

Some questions - how are y'all attaching your clips to your hair bows? Is it possible to make double or triple layers to the tutus? Like, white on the bottom, then blue, and then a third color on top of that? Or can you only make one layer?

Has anyone put the bows on a metal clasp barrette instead of an alligator clip? Do you glue it on there when the bow is done or tie it onto the barrette? Also, I got 6 of the barrettes at Michael's for 1.99. They had the alligator clips for 1.99, but I don't remember how many you got. How does that price compare to Sally's?

Oh, also, has anyone made korker hair bows? I saw how to instructions on e how and they said to put the ribbons in the oven! What kind of ribbon would you use to do that? Interesting...

Has anyone put the bows on a metal clasp barrette instead of an alligator clip? Do you glue it on there when the bow is done or tie it onto the barrette? Also, I got 6 of the barrettes at Michael's for 1.99. They had the alligator clips for 1.99, but I don't remember how many you got. How does that price compare to Sally's?

Oh, also, has anyone made korker hair bows? I saw how to instructions on e how and they said to put the ribbons in the oven! What kind of ribbon would you use to do that? Interesting...

I bought the big alligator clips four for $2.49 yesterday at Sally's. I bought the samll alligator clips 25 in a pack for $3.47. I have been gluing the clips on the back of my bows. Tying knots with the ribbons and then putting the clps on seems to make them too thick.

Sorry, I don't know what korker bows are but if I knew, I'm sure I would like making them too! Since I found this thread, I have spent a ton of money on ribbon and made my DGD about 20 pairs of bows. I am mailing them to them tomorrow. I wish I could see their faces when they open the box!

I know someone who made them and she used grosgrain ribbon. She put hers in the oven too!

I bought the big alligator clips four for $2.49 yesterday at Sally's. I bought the samll alligator clips 25 in a pack for $3.47. I have been gluing the clips on the back of my bows. Tying knots with the ribbons and then putting the clps on seems to make them too thick.

Sorry, I don't know what korker bows are but if I knew, I'm sure I would like making them too! Since I found this thread, I have spent a ton of money on ribbon and made my DGD about 20 pairs of bows. I am mailing them to them tomorrow. I wish I could see their faces when they open the box!

I got a pack of 10 alligator clips at Salley for like 2.49, but you can buy them on ebay 100 for 5 bucks. I'm doing that next time.

I was wondering how to make corkers as well!

Hi,
I have to say I have been selling bows on eBay for 8 years and you all are going to ruin me LOL!!

I do have to tell you that I will buy my French barrettes at JoAnn's and Micheals only. I have purchased several of those larger quantities on eBay myself, only to have to toss them out. They were litterally falling apart in my hand :( There may be someone out there with quality barrettes, but I haven't been lucky. If someone knows I would love to hear. JoAnn's has the best. They are often on sale too. You can order as many packages as you like, and they will give you that sale price- I do that often ;)
For alligator clips, Sally's is great.

Hi,
I have to say I have been selling bows on eBay for 8 years and you all are going to ruin me LOL!!

I do have to tell you that I will buy my French barrettes at JoAnn's and Micheals only. I have purchased several of those larger quantities on eBay myself, only to have to toss them out. They were litterally falling apart in my hand :( There may be someone out there with quality barrettes, but I haven't been lucky. If someone knows I would love to hear. JoAnn's has the best. They are often on sale too. You can order as many packages as you like, and they will give you that sale price- I do that often ;)

What type of glue do you use? With my girls ones I haven't had much sucess with hot glueing. maybe its just old? (it is rather old)

I use hot glue to attach the clips. For the bottle cap centers I use E-6000. It can be found at Wal-Mart or craft stores.

DSC03027.jpg

DSC03013.jpg

DSC03016-1.jpg

DSC03012.jpg

I just stumbled on this thread and I LOVE it! I have two boys so I've been trying to come up with a reason to make them. :rotfl: I don't really craft often but this is adorable and looks like fun- thanks for posting it all! I'm thinking my 3 nieces will be getting tutus and hair bows for their birthdays this year. :goodvibes

I need a girl now!

Korker ribbon is fun and easy!!!

Materials needed

small diameter dowel
2 wooden clothespins
grosgrain ribbon (small width works best)

oven, foil and water!

Heat your oven to 275degrees ...cover the center rack with a piece of foil (to protect the ribbon..from rack marks)

clip(with clothespin) the end of the ribbon to the dowel and twist/spin(corkscrew) the ribbon down the dowel...tight not overlaping it.

cut and secure with 2nd clothespin

Wet (I just run it under the water till it is wet)
Bake for 15-20 minutes..it will be dry. let cool and unwind.

cut to length..make sure to either heat seal or fray check the ends so that it dosen't unravel!!!

It is all up to you...size of the dowel ...width of the ribbon...100%polyester ribbon is what you need...and grosgrain works best for me.

GOOD LUCK!!!!

Korker ribbon is fun and easy!!!

Materials needed

small diameter dowel
2 wooden clothespins
grosgrain ribbon (small width works best)

oven, foil and water!

Heat your oven to 275degrees ...cover the center rack with a piece of foil (to protect the ribbon..from rack marks)

clip(with clothespin) the end of the ribbon to the dowel and twist/spin(corkscrew) the ribbon down the dowel...tight not overlaping it.

cut and secure with 2nd clothespin

Wet (I just run it under the water till it is wet)
Bake for 15-20 minutes..it will be dry. let cool and unwind.

cut to length..make sure to either heat seal or fray check the ends so that it dosen't unravel!!!

It is all up to you...size of the dowel ...width of the ribbon...100%polyester ribbon is what you need...and grosgrain works best for me.

GOOD LUCK!!!!

I LOVE the korker bows. Thought I would add how I bake them. I don't get them wet - but I spray them with a stiffening spray before baking. I found that the curl stays much tighter. :)

I LOVE the korker bows. Thought I would add how I bake them. I don't get them wet - but I spray them with a stiffening spray before baking. I found that the curl stays much tighter. :)

Are these the bows that look like corkscrews?

I ALWAYS use french clips. The alligator clips don't stay in my daughters hair as good. I just cover the barrette with a strip of the ribbon with a glue gun - going over the ends of the barrette. I then glue the bow on the clip. With korkers I just glue it on - but with other bows I also wrap the center around the barrette.

I use grosgrain to make the korkers and bake the ribbon with a stiffening agent sprayed on.

Hi,

I agree with you - the ones at JoAnn are so much better than the ones I have bought on eBay. The ones on eBay are weaker - and they never seem to clasp right.

I use hot glue to attach the clips. For the bottle cap centers I use E-6000. It can be found at Wal-Mart or craft stores.

DSC03027.jpg

DSC03013.jpg

DSC03016-1.jpg

DSC03012.jpg

Did you find that these bows got kinda heavy for a little girl's hair? I made some with this much ribbon and when I used the hot glue to fold the clip on the back, I thought it might be a little bit too heavy for her. Her hair is very fine. Also, where did yo get the bottle cap in the center? I haven't seen any of those here. They are too cute!

picked out some cute ribbon and came up with these:

IMG_0478.jpg

I took the picture before I realised the sides were uneven on the bottom one, so I trimmed it and looks great now. My girls love them!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter