How to handle the rain

It probably won't be the same rain you're used to. I live in a cold area as well and can't stand to get caught in the rain. Afterwards I'm cold and miserable. But in Florida the rain is so warm and the days so hot that it can be pretty refreshing.

My mom and I used to go during peak hurricane season so the weather would get pretty bad and we had very little sunshine. Regardless we made it work. What helped me was to wear shoes that will dry quickly, of course bring a poncho or umbrella and be prepared to not always have a super sunny day. When it starts raining you can use that time to get some food or take a break, if youre outside of the Magic Kingdom you can stop in somewhere and get a drink, or head to the rides with indoor queues. Sometimes at Haunted Mansion ( I don't know if they still do this) but you can ask to stay on the ride for another loop or two to wait out the rain. Also if you're at Epcot Ellens Energy Adventure is a good choice. Not the most thrilling ride but it does have a cool dinosaur scene and its funny. It's 45 minutes long so you do have a good break from the rain and to get off your feet.

Just remember that when you are looking at a forecast, they are trying to capture a lot of information in an abbreviated fashion, so if it's going to rain at all over the course of a 24 hour period, it's going to show rain in the forecast. Of course, it rains just about every day in Florida in the summer for some period of time, so you can expect rain to show up in the forecast most of the time. In practice, it's rarely a big deal.

I would highly suggest that along with ponchos, hats and waterproof shoes you also carry a sweatshirt or shawl - we found it fine to be outside in the rain but shockingly cold inside with the A/C - my daughters teeth were chattering. Also bring large zip locks that you can put your wet ponchos in when you go inside.

10 days away and the weather forecast will change 20x hang in there

We come down from CLE and thats the best advice. Weather can change daily. If it rains, you do it in the rain. Less lines, more shopping..Dont fret. Its the most majical place on earth!

Easier for me to wear a poncho. Poncho is worn I have to carry an Umbrella

agreed.
ponchos are hands free.
plus it keeps most of you dry including your park bag.

umbrellas are not hands free and they only keep your head and shoulders dry.

i'm from WNY and umbrellas are only used to make a mad dash from the house to the car and the car into another building.
thats about how long you can keep dry with one.

We just get wet. It's okay - we aren't made of sugar! :)

Luckily, I am also not made of sugar, but unfortunately, I am made of puppy dog tails:(

Anyway, like everyone has said, poncho up and wear sandals that can handle the water. Put any belongings, ie cameras, purses, under your poncho, so they aren't ruined. We usually just keep doing what we were doing, despite the rain.

I wear my purse under my poncho to keep my belongings (iphone) dry. Ponchos are everywhere in the parks. You can always take cover in a store and browse during lightening. You'd be surprised how quickly the storms come and go. It is actually quite refreshing on a hot Orlando day!

umbrellas are not hands free and they only keep your head and shoulders dry.

The hands-free part is true, but in terms of what it keeps dry, it really depends on your umbrella. There are compact collapsing umbrellas that expand out to the size of a golf umbrella, which should keep you dry to your knees including any backpack.

The poncho, on the other hand, creates a miniature steam room when worn during summer rains -- everything under it is dry from rain but soaked with sweat.

The hands-free part is true, but in terms of what it keeps dry, it really depends on your umbrella. There are compact collapsing umbrellas that expand out to the size of a golf umbrella, which should keep you dry to your knees including any backpack.

The poncho, on the other hand, creates a miniature steam room when worn during summer rains -- everything under it is dry from rain but soaked with sweat.

that doesn't seem to happen to me even in july/august.

I'm surprised they even allow umbrellas in the parks. You mean no one has ever opened one on the TOT?:P

I'm surprised they even allow umbrellas in the parks. You mean no one has ever opened one on the TOT?:P

Challenge accepted!!! In more seriousness, I've seen some interesting poses holding up things on TOT pictures during a dapper day, not sure I ever say an open umbrella though. I think it's a mini side tradition to try to hold a pose on TOT while dressed up and if not, it should be.

Everyone with an umbrella has been nice with them, there aren't many of us and the cast members are fairly quick to ask you to close if it they are concerned/you're coming towards a group. Security and getting through the front gate will always ask you long before you reach them to please have it closed for safety and to speed up the line. This is when your most likely getting soaked and backfiring with an umbrella..

I also agree with a few posts up, I've never had a good poncho experience when it's a good rain and not a seattle version of rain. I'm much more comfortable with an umbrella and it's an interesting way to meet someone who has nothing and sees your carrying around a portable roof.

The rain never seems to last that long. We normally just bring the same disney ponchos we bought like 5 years ago.

I'm from the Pacific Northwest, and have developed some rain strategies!
  1. I like a good quality poncho (not a cheap "throwaway one!). The ightweight ones don't cover as well, and tend to stick to your legs when wet. I bought a Frogg Toggs poncho at Walmart last year for my WDW trip, and it was great!
  2. I find a good quality rain hat (with a fairly stiff brim) really helps a lot. Poncho hoods don't keep the rain off your face. I bought a rain hat at REI several years ago, called a "Seattle Sombrero".:goodvibes I wear it with my rain slicker for my volunteer work at our zoo, much of which is outdoors. The rainhat is Gore-tex and really keeps the rain off my face.
  3. Bring a few pairs of shoes. If one pair gets soaked, stuff them with newspaper (helps them dry faster) and use a different pair until the wet ones dry out.
  4. If you do get wet, be prepared to feel really cold indoors in the A/C. I was so glad to have a sweater during a downpour last year; once the poncho came off, we were pretty cold indoors!

Bring a few pairs of shoes. If one pair gets soaked, stuff them with newspaper (helps them dry faster) and use a different pair until the wet ones dry out
Good one! Last year I hit a really bad rain 3-4 times per day and for 1-2 hours each time. I had to replace my shoes during the trip.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter