• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

How to handle new potty-trained child in WDW?

chipper10

Disney Obsessed
DS will be turning 3 in a month. We also are going to Disney World for 10 days. We have been trying to potty train DS since September or so. He's finally starting to do well. He has an accident about every 4 days or so, if that. He still wears overnight diapers to bed though, because he is still pretty wet during the night. We only use underwear during the day. We've used pull-ups, but I think DS thinks that they are just diapers. He's much more likely to wet in the pullups. He can go #2 on the potty without any problems as well. We just put him on the potty here and he has no problems.

I just don't know what I should pack to Disney. I don't know if I should take pullups or diapers or just use underwear. I hate to take up alot of extra space in the luggage.

Any tips?

I was in the same situation back in 2005 with my DS, this is what we did. We kept him in underware and kept a spare change of clothes and a plastic bag with us in case of an accident, we also made frequent potty breaks about every 1 1/2-2 hrs. Overall he did pretty well but we did have a couple of accidents, mainly because by the time he told us, we couldn't always find or get to a bathroom in time. I would also bring a pad of post-its with you for the auto flush toliets, just put one over the sensor when you get in the stall and remove when he is done, this will prevent the toliet from flushing while he is on it.

Go and have fun this is a great age for a trip to Disney.

We took DS in 05 who turned 3 down there! We shipped pull ups and his potty seat (a new one) down there before we left, just in case. I am so glad that we did!! We started out with underwear and a separate outfit, but after the second accident in about 1 hour we just put him in pull ups, but continued to take him to the potty on a schedule. It was just too much for him with Mickey Mouse and all. But trust me, there is a booth in Tony's Town Square that will NEVER be the same (and 2 very embarassed parents)

When we got home, he was doing as well or better than he had been doing the pull ups did not cause a set back at all. We also used a pull up for the plane ride there and back. There are just some places you don't want an accident!

We took DS at 2.5, although he had been potty trained since his second birthday. The main thing is firmly establish in your head, that you need to ask him if he has to go potty BEFORE you get into any lines or enter any attractions, every single time you are about to ride something. This will help you to avoid waiting in line for Dumbo for 30 minutes, only to have to exit the ride line to go potty before even getting to ride it.

This will help you to avoid waiting in line for Dumbo for 30 minutes, only to have to exit the ride line to go potty before even getting to ride it.

Sure it will! :laughing:

Just don't get mad when you tried to plan ahead, yet nevertheless, JUST as you're about to get on a long awaited ride...the kid says,"I've got to go potty."

Smile and say, "good job, buddy!" :):headache:

I'd go with pull ups incase you decide to use them. We used to call them "just in case" underwear and made it no big deal. Your son will be so far off schedule it might be a lot easier! I'm imagining accidents on ride seats or on restaurant chairs during meals :scared1: Wait that would have been my daughter :rotfl2: But you know your child best. Maybe by the time you go he'll be accident-free :thumbsup2

This sounds familiar! My DD was 2 1/2 or a little more when she went the first time to WDW. She had potty a few months earlier (she wanted to and was ready, much earlier than my DS had been). She was still wearing pull-ups at night, but never had daytime accidents.

We drove 12 hours down, and were staying for 11 nights (oh those were the days, when we could get away that long!). I was worried about us getting into a line for a ride and her needing to go, even with frequent potty breaks. So, I explained to her that we would be using pull-ups during the day while on vacation. At first she didn't want to, but then she was okay with it.

She still used the toilet at our potty breaks, but did "need" the pull ups a few times, especially after a long nap in the stroller.

When we got home, she was fine with underwear again, and actually didn't really need pull-ups after 3. So it didn't really mess up her potty training.

I would definitely use them for a trip like WDW for a newly potty trained child. It just relieved my mind to know we were not going to have an accident on a ride, or in line, or in the stroller.

DS decided in the car on the way to the airport that he was potty trained. He was 2 1/2. OUt of the blue he said he wasn't going to go potty in his diaper anymore. Of course we are like, yeah right. We only had pull ups and diapers packed since we were planning on holding out on the potty training until we got back from the trip. He had 2 accidents the entire week, and both times he told us....but we couldn't get to a bathroom in time. Potty training with him was a complete non-issue and he had no issues transitioning to underwear when we returned home.

One word of advice....do not ASK if he has to go to the bathroom. Just take him at a minimum of every hour and before any ride/show that has a line. It may seem like a pain, but it really isn't that big of a deal especially if all the adults take turns taking him.

I definitely would use the pull ups at a place like WDW. I never use them at home except for long car trips but they are perfect for places like WDW.

One other option is to put underwear on and then a pullup on top of that just in case. The child will feel the wet if you don't make it in time but you won't have to worry about carrying so many changes of pants...just underwear.
I would also map out where all the bathrooms are and everytime you pass one, just give it a try.
Good luck!

DD was potty training when we were at WDW last year. She was 22 months and was almost trained, but we were of course anxious about the trip. I would NOT do pullups if he thinks of them as a diaper - we made that mistake when she first started at 18 months and we were gone for 2 nights, we just put her in pullups... she was actually dry the whole time other than once, but the day we got back she totally had a regression - kids are so smart, they know they're just diapers!

Anyway, for WDW we were definitely not going to mess with pullups during the day (she wore them at night), but what we did instead was double up her underwear so it was a little extra padded and I cut up pieces of shamwow's to just fit inside the crotch of the underwear, and one sat in between the underwears. I know it sounds ridiculous, but it gave us more courage. :) We actually never got to see how it worked - the one accident during a nap was the day we forgot! We just went to the restroom a lot - I was 7.5 mos pregnant so I went a lot, too ;) and when 1 of us had to go, we all went. We did have 2 close calls, but she made it! The trip actually helped her skills at knowing when she'd need to go so she didn't miss stuff she wanted to do/see. I hope it goes well for you!

Actually, not all kids have regression. My DD was fine with pull-ups after being potty trained for almost 5 months for our trip to WDW. Then she was fine the day we got home with underwear, and didn't need the pull ups at night anymore either. It was quick, easy, and she was fine with them. But if underwear doubled up is the choice, that is fine too. They also make "training underwear" that is thick. I never used that, as I'd rather not wash wet underpants. And soiled ones would have gone straight into the trash.

I think the OP should do whatever they want, but once most kids are out of diapers, they don't really want to go back. Unless they aren't ready (my DS was much older, over 3). And some kids are almost 4, but when they are ready, then they are ready.

I say...do at Disney what you do at home. Put him in what he wears at home, and make frequent bathroom stops. Don't ask him if he needs to go - just take him. Both of you will do just fine.

My youngest is 8yrs old, and we still make very frequent potty breaks. We tend to drink more juices and carbonated drinks while at Disney, and both have been known to cause his bladder to spasm. On our first trip to Disney, he was 4yrs old, and at one point in that trip, we had to take a potty break every hour or so! I still don't ask him if he needs to go-we just go!

One other option is to put underwear on and then a pullup on top of that just in case. The child will feel the wet if you don't make it in time but you won't have to worry about carrying so many changes of pants...just underwear.

WHAT SHE SAID!:goodvibes

We took my newly trained two year old in September. There are bathrooms everywhere and we just stopped each time we got off a ride. We found we had less arguments that way, because it wasn't as if I was asking him to wait to go on a ride. Everyone always just went to the bathroom. We managed with only one accident, and that was in the hotel room because I was too slow getting out of the bathroom myself.

I am in the same position. We switched DS to underwear 3 months ago and he's doing great with only occasional accidents, but he just gets so excited at Disney that I am thinking pullups will be a good idea.

My dad, DS's nanny, thinks we just just use underwear like we do at home, but I am really torn about this. I want to avoid the hassle of accidents, but I don't want to go backwards with potty training.

Ugh!

My son was 3 in June and we have tons of problems with him and potty training!

He is completely pee trained during the day and almost all the time at night BUT he will not go on a regular potty at all - even with an insert on the top. He also WON'T poop in the potty. He does it in his underwear every morning when he wakes up.

I've tried everything and am at a loss. He's just a stubborn kid!! My daughter was so easy and was completely pee & poop trained at 2 yrs 2 months so this is all new to me!

Anyway....we don't have a choice and are going to do pull-ups while at Disney. It stinks but I don't know what else to do, especially with the fact he won't go near a big potty and screams if you try to put him on one.

I'm just hoping it won't set him back too far!!

A few trips ago we had two newly potty trained twins. Both were doing awesome but not trained yet to go through the night. I brought pull-ups in case we were out late at the parks and they fell asleep.

HOWEVER we ended up using them because my DD was terrified :scared1: of the toilets - those automatic toilet flush ones and they can be pretty loud ! I didn't see that one coming....and as parents we have seen it all!!!

No matter what we tried that kid was terrified of the huge swish noise and the fear that the vortex would suck her in butt first! :)

In the end we had to convince her it was okay to pee in the pull up but she hardly would only unless mother nature demanded it. When we got back home she went back to normal and still to this day talks about the loud toilets when she was little. Though, she will use them now thank the Lord!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter