How to go through security with a stroller!!

WDWorBUST

DIS Veteran
I need advice please. What is the easiest most pain-free way to go through security in the airports with a baby and stroller. I want it to be a breeze. We had it down to a science when it was just me and DH but now we're throwing in something else.

Thanks!
Amanda

hi
1st post on this board...........my top tip is to leave the stroller empty ( except for child!!) if its full of stuff they will fetch it all out to check it
hope that helps

The stroller has to go through the x-ray machine, so you'll have to remove everything, break it down and walk through. If your child can walk on his/her own, they will have to, if not, one of you can carry baby through. I recommend whomever is least likely to beep.

I usually go through first and then call the children through, leaving my husband on the other side so they are safe. Also, the children usually will have to remove their shoes as well, so you will want to have them untied and loose (I don't know how old your baby is, so this may not apply).

Finally, we err on the side of caution in emptying our pockets and removing jewelry before going through. We consider it less of an inconvenience do dump everything than it would be trying to manage children during a patdown.

Good luck!

Stroller must be empty and folded up so it can go throught the machine.

Also, tell kids to not touch the sides of the scanner or they will set it off and will need to be searched with a hand wand.

But don't stress too much because no matter how prepared you are, the folks right in front of you may take a long time. I find it best to allow plenty of time at the airport so we don't have to run and drag kids around under stress.

It really depends on the airport. I've seen separate stroller lines and times when I've been plucked out of line to the front. I've always had to take baby out but sometimes they don't make me fold it down and just do the hand wand over it. Sometimes they make me put it on the belt. It depends on the size of the stroller and the mood of the guards. I've always had to carry them through when they're toddlers cause they've all refused to walk on their own. Way too freaky for them at that age.

Some airport don't make you take your shoes off so before struggling with baby shoes, just ask.

Last trip to WDW, I stupidly forgot that I put my cell phone in my front pocket and of course we beeped. The poor guard who had to pat down my DS's diaper...I would have thought it was funnier if DH wasn't giving me death looks :blush:

Have the stroller folded up and ready to go thru the xray. Also any stuffed animals, blankets, etc. your child might be carrying has to go thru the xray. I would go ahead and take off my shoes and put them in the bin. My cousin works for TSA at an airport and he said they have been really cracking down on shoes so most of them get taken off (or at least they do at his airport). If you guys are wearing coats or bulky sweaters/sweatshirts take those off as well, as they have recently cracked down on that also.

Have fun!

Before you leave home, take the canopy, the napper bar, and all extra accessories such as toys, etc. off of the stroller and pack them in your checked luggage. This will not only make it much easier to put the stroller through the scanner, but will minimize the chances that anything will snag during handling and get broken off. The basket should be completely empty. Hook your diaper bag over the handles so that you can grab it and sling it onto the belt.

If your baby is too small to walk, just skip shoes altogether, otherwise try to have him wear the easiest pr. to take on and off. (If he's big enough to walk, he will be expected to do so.) I can't emphasize this enough: NO OVERALLS! They are cute, all right, but they beep b/c of the metal snaps, buttons and buckles. As for your own shoes, wear loafers so that you can kick them off and slip them on.

Presuming you have an adult travel partner, the best strategy is to take baby out while about 10 back in line, then hand him to your partner. Then you pile the hand luggage except the diaper bag on top of the stroller, and go first, letting several other people get between you and your partner. Put the stuff on the belt, including your shoes (your purse/laptop should be your last item, so that you catch up before it ends up sitting on the belt unattended on the other side), then fold your stripped-down stroller and put it on before you step through, gather up your bags and wait. Letting other people go through after you means that if you have to be patted down or if there is something fishy in the carryon, you should still be clear by the time your partner reaches the scanner. (And Baby won't see the strange people apparently assaulting Mommy.) Then baby will toddle through into your arms if he's big enough, or be carried through by the other adult if not. If the alarm goes off on the other adult, the baby can then be walked back through by you, since you have already proven to be clean. This way, at least one of you will always be available to mind your child while the other deals with baggage or security procedures.

Wow! I haven't even thought about all of this. It sounds so complicated.

NotUrsula---I like your detailed description. But what would you recommend if I add two other preschool children to your scenario? Do we still split up? And who goes where? YIKES! Will we ever make it to the plane? TIA

This thread has been interesting reading. I fly out of New York airports and they do not ask people to take their shoes off. And this was two flights in the last 2 months. Kind of unnerving when you think about it.

As for my stroller...I travel with a Peg Perego double stroller. I've only had to fold it up once.

It's really not anything to get stressed about. If you're not sure of the procedure, just ask. And definitely look for a separate stroller line.

I guess every airport varies in their procedures (although they're not supposed to :rolleyes: ).

So, my advice is to just take your time and keep an eye on your valuables (kids and cash ::yes:: ). Get there a little early so you're not rushed. Don't worry about taking time to get through the security gauntlet - just make sure everyone and everything is in tact when you get out the other side.

Sometimes you have to remove your shoes and sometimes you don't. Others have given good advice to wear easy to remove shoes.

Good luck!

:flower3:

I've always traveled w/an umbrella stroller and have always had to put it thru on the belt.

Anyway, my tip if your child is attached to a stuffed animal is to somehow get it away from the child before you hit the check point. My 2.5 dd is very attached to Pooh Bear and had a fit when we put him on the belt and he disappeared.

I guess she thought we were giving him away.

And to top it off, he was right behind my purse, which I'm sorry to say has too much junk in it. So they stopped the belt further prolonging the time Pooh Bear would come out the other end. By the time he did, we were on the verge of a richter scale tantrum!

But I have to say, every airport we've gone thru has been super nice to us and took time and didn't mind us holding up the line. So take a deep breath and you'll get thru it.

PS, no swiss army knives. I keep forgetting and they keep taking mine.

If there are other children, have them walk through under the other adult's supervision, before the adult but AFTER the baby if the baby is already walking. You don't want them wandering away from either of you while you are trying to coax/pass the baby through; you want the baby already in your arms or safely buckled into the stroller when they come through. Of course, if the older ones are riding in strollers, too, strap them in and it won't matter.

The timing thing seems petty, I know, but I've been in too many situations where both DH and I ended up being wanded. We used to go through together; but I nearly got arrested once at DEN when I refused to leave DS when they wanted to pat me down; I politely said that I would do it as soon as they finished wanding DH. They didn't want to hear that, and they insisted that DS could not come with me behind the screen. The cops were on their way when DH got cleared, so I handed DS over and went through the patdown. The police decided that it wasn't worth an arrest, but warned me not to argue with TSA agents ever again.

BTW, on the shoe thing. The TSA policy is that no one can be *forced* to remove their shoes, but at most airports, the practice is that failing to remove your shoes automatically triggers a more thorough search. Taking them off before being asked is usually far quicker.

lindaso said:
This thread has been interesting reading. I fly out of New York airports and they do not ask people to take their shoes off. And this was two flights in the last 2 months. Kind of unnerving when you think about it.

As for my stroller...I travel with a Peg Perego double stroller. I've only had to fold it up once.

It's really not anything to get stressed about. If you're not sure of the procedure, just ask. And definitely look for a separate stroller line.

I was wondering about that. We have a PP Aira Twin and I don't think it will fit on the belt. We always just folded up the combi travel savey DX with no problems. As OP said, we had it down to a sience (expect with 1 kid who is now 3 1/2) now we added another to the mix and it is a whole new game. Especailly since DD#1 was walking everywhere before her sister was born, now that we use a stroller for the baby she insist on going in a stroller too.

As others said I do sugest trying to minimize reasons they would want to check you out a lot or flag attention. No underwire in the bra, I wear lands end summer or all weather mocs, no metal on them at all.

In Detroit Metro there is only one line to the terminals, at Orlando that might be a good thing to look for a stroller line, but I have noticed many staff will direct you were to go next to keep the flow going.

Come to think of it I am feeling thankful we are taking 13 year old Niece with us, an extra set of hands is going to home in handy!

One hint.. About taking shoes off of kids.. The light up shoes will set off the walk throughs.. Other than that I have never had a problem and I fly to LAX quite often and they can be very strict...

Also if you are bringing a car seat on hte plane you have to pass that throught the x ray also...

Underwire bras are a no no also. My mother was searched and patted down. The person didn't know what an underwire bra was, she was pissed. So she doesn't even put them in her carryon luggage. As they un packed it one day and held it up and said what is this... No offense to anyone at all but some of the TSA people aren't all there.

I do have to say.. At our airport we have a seperate line for people in wheelchairs and strollers and small children...

I also recommend taking all extras off of the stroller as my canopy was ripped and we had to hand stitch it back into place. so since then we remove all that we can. Except not the front tray as with a carrier you need that to be able to lock the seat into place..

We were in WDW in May and flew back to New York. Standing in the security line took a very long time and my 3 year old fell asleep in the stroller (thankfully). However when we got to the machine, they insisted my daughter be taken out of the stroller and the stroller had to be folded. I asked if there was any other way ( cause we all know NEVER wake a sleeping child!) and they said no. Needless to say, We held up the line as we had to pull her out, fold it etc, etc all with her screaming!!! So...be prepared to have the stroller folded!!! On another note, by the time we got on the plane she had fallen back asleep in her seat (buckled in) and kind of slumped over leaning on me. The flight attendant told me she had to be sitting up in her seat, I kinda of smiled at her and honestly, ignored her. She came back and repeated herself so I sat my daughter up which meant....she woke up screaming!! So now she is going nuts, I'm trying to calm her down and the FA comes back to tell me she has to have the belt tighter on her and sitting straight in the seat. I tell her I'm trying....FA comes with cookies, this makes my daughter crazier because she doesn't like strangers and the situation is getting out of control. FA comes back again and by now I'm fuming ( between daughter crying, people staring, I'm all hot and bothered) repeats herself again...I snapped, told her if she left her alone in the first place this wouldn't of happened! I also said if the plane goes down, we'll probably all die anyway so her sitting straight up awake isn't really going to save her!!! I had to physically restrain my daughter in the seat during landing. It was awful awful. Thanks for letting me rant...I'm getting mad just thinking about it again!

I'm sorry rileyroosmom...I know the situation was crappy for you but I just had to laugh at the comment you made to the FA. LOL.

With all this in mind remember to have your tickets and picture ID ready also. Additionally, I just spoke with Southwest Airlines and they said to bring a copy of the kids' birth certificates.

I've never had to do that before. Maybe it's just in case.

kelscross said:
I'm sorry rileyroosmom...I know the situation was crappy for you but I just had to laugh at the comment you made to the FA. LOL.

With all this in mind remember to have your tickets and picture ID ready also. Additionally, I just spoke with Southwest Airlines and they said to bring a copy of the kids' birth certificates.

I've never had to do that before. Maybe it's just in case.

I had a simlar sitution with the airlines myself. I just ignored the flight attended too, but my DD didn't cry so much.

I always cary a copy of the BC with me, but have never needed it. (Northwest or Spirit airlines) However from wachting Airline on A&E it would be a good idea to bring BC with you for Southwest. They have some funky rules and strange things they do that other airlines don't. Better safe then sorry.

WOW! I am glad that I last flew before 9/11. I was alone with an 11 mo & 32 mo. DD was in the front of the double stroller with the carseats packed in the back seat. Carry ons were under & on the handle & DS was in the "leash". I had no idea that I was going to have to single handedly take everything out of the stroller & fold it up for the machine then put it all back together again. I made DH walk us to the gate on the return trip so that he could help me.

This thread just reminded me of our airport security experience last January when we flew from Philly to Orlando. After having to put my older son's (then 3) blankie through the screener, he was not allowed to walk through the detector in my arms. They made him walk through himself, which took several minutes of my husband, who was behind him, coaxing and pushing him to come to me, on the other side, all while my husband was trying to hold our then 10 month old. he was in full tears by the time we got him through. Well, then just as they were having my husband pass the baby through the detector (love that they let us do that with a baby but not a screming 3 year old), my three year old, who was still upset, ran back through the detector to Daddy. The security people made me pull him aside, and insisted on using the wand on him since had run back through. After 3 times of asking them for a woman to scan him, since he was afraid of strange men at that age, I ended up having to ask for a supervisor.

Now that we are going down in January and May this year, I guess I'll have to do some prepwork in advance so we dont have a repeat! But, then again this time, the then baby will be a toddler pushing the terrible 2's ..

You might want to check the Transpotation Security Administration website on air travel at http://www.tsa.gov/public/display?theme=175 .

One of their webpages states
You will not be asked to do anything that will separate you from your child or children
. I don't know how accurate or recent that info is, but if that ever happened to me I would file a complaint.

As for making a child or anyone else for that matter sit upright that may be an FAA rule, especially for takeoff and landing. The flight attendant may just have been following rules per their training.

I would make sure you go early to the airport and see if there is curbside checkin for your luggage, carry your tickets and ID where they are easily accessible because many airports require showing them, be prepared to lay the stroller on the xray belt, and try to have one person in your party responsible for retrieving bags at the end of screening to avoid theft, one person to deal with the baby, and one person to be there in case an extra pair of hands are needed.

GL!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter