• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

How to get cigarette smoke smell out of comforter?

Exposure to third hand smoke is dangerous and even if you're able to mask the smell who knows what toxins you'd be exposing the child to. IMO, that is not an okay risk to take with a vulnerable child's health.

There IS the health issue of cigarette smoke. I had things from my cousin's after he died that smelled of smoke. I put them outside for a while, then in the garage with washes between. Got them out about a month ago and they still smell of smoke. I'm going to wash them one more time and drop them off at the thrift store for someone else to deal with. I just can't deal with the smell and we all have allergies...not worth the risk. I would not do the Febreeze thing because it's sometimes worse smelling than cigarettes. imho

That's why I'm not using anything to mask it. I am using odor and chemical neutralizers like Borax, vinegar, etc. I am very sensitive to that smell, so if it's there, I will smell it, even if it is masked. BTW, The smell seems to be totally gone after washing it in borax and vinegar.

I can't believe that the chemicals are not washed away in hot water. Doesn't hot water kill everything? If anyone has any links to show that even after washing it in hot water, and successfully removing the smell, there is still a danger, please link. I have no desire to harm a child. Obviously, by my being willing to take in children who are in trouble, I am here to help kids. I can't find anything directly addressing something that has been washed, but that definitely doesn't mean it's not out there.

I have nothing against thrift stores - I shop at them myself. I don't buy stuffed animals or anything that I'm not confident I can fully disinfect though. Any toys or anything like that get a bleach treatment before coming into the house and clothes get laundered in hot water right as they come in.

But I have to think you are going to spend more than $4 in product, hot water, and time trying to salvage what is likely an unsalvageable situation. It is nearly impossible to fully get cigarette residue out of cloth and there are plenty of people who are sensitive to even the smallest trace of it. Since you don't know whether the occupant bedroom will be able to tolerate it, it seems like a losing battle to me.

What's your time period? All the college dorm stuff is soon to hit Target and other stores and then about a month later they start putting it all on sale. By the end of summer it is super cheap to buy new.

I have nothing against thrift stores - I shop at them myself. I don't buy stuffed animals or anything that I'm not confident I can fully disinfect though. Any toys or anything like that get a bleach treatment before coming into the house and clothes get laundered in hot water right as they come in.

But I have to think you are going to spend more than $4 in product, hot water, and time trying to salvage what is likely an unsalvageable situation. It is nearly impossible to fully get cigarette residue out of cloth and there are plenty of people who are sensitive to even the smallest trace of it. Since you don't know whether the occupant bedroom will be able to tolerate it, it seems like a losing battle to me.

What's your time period? All the college dorm stuff is soon to hit Target and other stores and then about a month later they start putting it all on sale. By the end of summer it is super cheap to buy new.

I'm actually not taking any children until August, as I promised my son this summer. I have plenty of time. I'll be on the lookout, and maybe buy a few colors for the final room decor if they are cheap. That won't be chosen until I actually get a child. I just bought this one to get the room ready for inspection and viewing.Of course, if it is safe and the child like the color, it could be in the final room. I can't smell the smoke smell at all and I am very sensitive to it.

I don't know if this will work with cigarette smoke but,it has worked on other odors. If you can, put the comforter in the freezer for a few days. I'm a big thrift store shopper and its a little trick that has worked for me with other stubborn odors.

These kids have, for whatever reason, been taken away from their original families, have no personal belongings and possibly gone from house to house. Why can't they be allowed to pick out new, something they may never have owned, items that will be theirs?

I would never buy a used item, such as a sofa, carpet, stuffed animal or comforter that can hold bugs and odors.

Are they getting used underwear too? You are storing clothes in a storage shed?

When the kid leaves you home are you going to make them leave all of your bought stuff behind?

These kids have, for whatever reason, been taken away from their original families, have no personal belongings and possibly gone from house to house. Why can't they be allowed to pick out new, something they may never have owned, items that will be theirs?

I would never buy a used item, such as a sofa, carpet, stuffed animal or comforter that can hold bugs and odors.

When the kid leaves you home are you going to make them leave all of your bought stuff behind?

Sometimes people do what they can. It may not be up to your standards, but it is something. The majority of people do absolutely nothing at all.

Your comments are mean and unnecessary.

OP, I think your best bet (assuming you don't want to use bleach on dark material) is a Borax soak followed by a wash in very hot water. Then hang it out to dry in the sunlight outside (you can run it through the dryer first to avoid mustiness) for a few days (bring it in at night). If that doesn't work, the comforter is a total loss.

I, for one, think taking in a foster child is wonderful of you.

I don't know if it works on cig smell, but the stuff in the pet section at walmart or petco, takes out odors. its an enzyme cleaner. spray it on and let the comforter hang outside, then add some to the wash.

it gets out nasty pet odors, but I don't know if the reaction works on cig smell.
good luck

Why would you even say that? How many foster kids have YOU taken in? A used comforter is better than a house of abuse, no heat, no food, neglect etc.

You really are unbelievable!

Some people cannot afford to buy EVERYTHING a child needs brand new everytime they take in a foster child. Are you kidding me? You'd rather them sit in a orphanage (where they will be using used blankets/sheets) instead of a loving home with a family that cares??

Wow, judge much? Anything I give a child when they are here will be there's to keep IF they leave. I am ultimately looking to adopt. The child will be a member of my family and I don't often buy brand new for my family most of the time, except for porous furniture, shoes and underwear, plus toys(although my son has gotten toys and video games from Goodwill before when he found them there) I'm sure the child will be happy to go to Disney next year rather than get a new wardrobe that will need to be replaced a few months later.

You would never guess the clothes I have bought are used if you saw them on a child. They are nice, name brand items, some with the tags still on them. They are in storage containers, have been washed, and will be washed again before a child wears them. There will obviously be some clothing bought new, but I may get a child at the drop of a hat, and it's nice to have clothes and pajamas to use right away.

I guess it would be nice to buy everything for my household brand new, but the truth is, even if I could afford it, I most likely wouldn't. It just isn't necessary to waste money on things that will just be "used" after you wear them once. Give that money to charities that can give truly needy children something more than a new pair of pajamas vs. one that just looks new. At least that's my feeling. $20 can go a long way to help a child who is hungry.

BTW, did you miss where I said this comforter is temporary to have the room ready? I said the child would most likely pick something to go with their interests/tastes. Not saying I won't find one that works at the thrift store or a yard sale though. As the Duggars say "Buy used and save the difference".;)

Most of the time, when a foster child leaves a home, they do leave everything behind. It is not like they are going to take all of the comforters from the homes they live in.

In regards to the clothes, they usually have only the clothes on them, but the foster care worker will provide money for the parents to go out and buy additional clothes. It is not a lot of money, but it is something to help.

You may want to rethink yelling at the OP just because she is trying to stretch her funds to go further.

Most of the time, when a foster child leaves a home, they do leave everything behind. It is not like they are going to take all of the comforters from the homes they live in.

In regards to the clothes, they usually have only the clothes on them, but the foster care worker will provide money for the parents to go out and buy additional clothes. It is not a lot of money, but it is something to help.

You may want to rethink yelling at the OP just because she is trying to stretch her funds to go further.

:confused3 I assume you quoted me by mistake since I was in complete agreement with your sentiments.:confused3

Wow, judge much? Anything I give a child when they are here will be there's to keep IF they leave. I am ultimately looking to adopt. The child will be a member of my family and I don't often buy brand new for my family most of the time, except for porous furniture, shoes and underwear, plus toys(although my son has gotten toys and video games from Goodwill before when he found them there) I'm sure the child will be happy to go to Disney next year rather than get a new wardrobe that will need to be replaced a few months later.

You would never guess the clothes I have bought are used if you saw them on a child. They are nice, name brand items, some with the tags still on them. They are in storage containers, have been washed, and will be washed again before a child wears them. There will obviously be some clothing bought new, but I may get a child at the drop of a hat, and it's nice to have clothes and pajamas to use right away.

I guess it would be nice to buy everything for my household brand new, but the truth is, even if I could afford it, I most likely wouldn't. It just isn't necessary to waste money on things that will just be "used" after you wear them once. Give that money to charities that can give truly needy children something more than a new pair of pajamas vs. one that just looks new. At least that's my feeling. $20 can go a long way to help a child who is hungry.

BTW, did you miss where I said this comforter is temporary to have the room ready? I said the child would most likely pick something to go with their interests/tastes. Not saying I won't find one that works at the thrift store or a yard sale though. As the Duggars say "Buy used and save the difference".;)
:thumbsup2

Why would you even say that? How many foster kids have YOU taken in? A used comforter is better than a house of abuse, no heat, no food, neglect etc.

You really are unbelievable!

Some people cannot afford to buy EVERYTHING a child needs brand new everytime they take in a foster child. Are you kidding me? You'd rather them sit in a orphanage (where they will be using used blankets/sheets) instead of a loving home with a family that cares??
:thumbsup2

Sometimes people do what they can. It may not be up to your standards, but it is something. The majority of people do absolutely nothing at all.

Your comments are mean and unnecessary.

OP, I think your best bet (assuming you don't want to use bleach on dark material) is a Borax soak followed by a wash in very hot water. Then hang it out to dry in the sunlight outside (you can run it through the dryer first to avoid mustiness) for a few days (bring it in at night). If that doesn't work, the comforter is a total loss.

I, for one, think taking in a foster child is wonderful of you.
::yes:: :thumbsup2

Your comments are incredibly cruel.

PS - Thank goodness for thrift store shoppers. The landfills won't overflow quite yet!

We live in such a sterilized society, it's ridiculous. When I had my babies, I was young and poor. The vast majority of their stuff was second- (or third!) hand. My firstborn...he was never even prescribed or in need of antibiotics until he was in 5th grade. Am thankful for his health and I don't take full credit for it, of course, but all that used stuff...it didn't even remotely kill him.

I would try soaking in vinegar and hanging it outside to dry. We have friends who are smokers and everytime we come home from their place I immediately throw our clothes in the washer and let them soak overnight in vinegar.

That's what I was thinking too.

ETA- It's wonderful that you are opening your home to a child in need. That is the most important thing in your thread. The smoke smell will go away, but what you are doing for that child will last a lifetime. You have a big heart. Don't let anyone get you down. Hold your head up and carry on with the good work you are doing. :)

PS - Thank goodness for thrift store shoppers. The landfills won't overflow quite yet!

Exactly. Its amazing to see the things people get rid of. At least when people donate to thrift stores someone can buy those things and use them instead of everything just getting thrown out ending up in a landfill.

This is one of the most cruel and uncalled-for posts I have ever read on the DIS. Shame on you! How many foster kids have you hosted? How much money have you donated so that loving foster parents like OP presumably is can buy all new furnishings for every foster child who comes into their home?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter