How to get autistic son to McDonalds without a car?

livndisney said:
That I would not recommend. Not only the distance but sidewalks and freeway on and offramps would be a concern.

Your right I wouldn't either I just mentioned that because of the fact people think you can't walk from all stars. I just wanted to point out the side walk continues to blizzard and Coronado springs.

There is a video on Youtube, of someone actually walking it. It was under 10 minutes and a sidewalk. Busy street to cross with a light, so doable.

I was youtubed it because I wanted to see - I have a nonverbal son with other issues (possible autism) who is 5 and will not be able to live without mcdonalds. If I can use McDonald's as a leverage during the day that we will be going to McDonald's that night, it just might work! :hyper:

AJKMOM said:
DS is age 24 and, although autistic, always up for adventure. There isn't a food court at the DVC where we are staying, so as long as we can walk it, we will. Looking forward to it. Thanks for all your help.

Doesn't Wilderness Lodge have Roaring Forks? The lodge is right next to the villas.

Sorry, but that is NOT how it works with autism. If only it were that easy!

While I wouldn't recommend doing it on vacation, yes, you can recondition a food issue with a person with autism. It should be done before the person goes into any public assistance program, because they are not going to support a disabling food issue.

While I wouldn't recommend doing it on vacation, yes, you can recondition a food issue with a person with autism. It should be done before the person goes into any public assistance program, because they are not going to support a disabling food issue.

That's not exactly true. The truth is you can TRY to do it but there's no guarantee it would be successful. My son went to "food school" at OT for years and he still eats only from the same extremely limited food list. He'll eat certain brands and at certain restaurants & that's it. We've tried all of the tricks of putting the food in different containers, not letting him see the packaging, and nothing works. They've established that he has a highly sensitive sense of smell that makes it impossible for us to 'trick" him. He can detect the most subtle difference in tastes. I'd love to be able to throw some Tyson nuggets into a McDonalds box but its never going to happen. I'm not sure what you mean about going into a public assistance program.

There is another option if you wanted to rent a car for a day and go elsewhere. You can do it at the Dolphin hotel.

We stayed at Movies and found the walk would be to long. It looked
very doable from Sports. We went to Sea World and Universal twice and
on the way back we had the cab driver go through the drive thru for
my son with Autism.

I understand what the OP was saying as my son would not eat the burgers
from Disney. Next time we would probably stay at sports just for that reason.

We have walked it from AS SPorts, no problem. Since you don't have a car, another option is after a day at MK, go to the TTC and catch a Lynx bus #56. Go off property to the Mcdonalds across the street from Old Town. It's about a 10 minute ride. (PS: On Saturday night they have the Saturday night cruise. It's free, and if you like old cars and oldies music, you will really enjoy the evening. After the cruise, catch the #56 bus back to TTC, ferry or monorail to MK and bus to your resort.)

As far as I am aware, this is now El Pollo Campo, Disney kicked all McDonald's off property a while back.

That is the Downtown Disney location that was replaced by Pollo Campero. There is still a stand-alone McDonalds restaurant near the All-Star resorts, specifically All Star Sports. I have heard of guests walking there. I don't think it's a short walk though, especially if you are not staying at Sports.

Unless the car rental rates come down between now and March, in which case we can go every day to McD's.:eek:

Just answering this part...it's entirely possible the rates will drop and continue to drop before your trip.

I booked in November for February, and it's at a rate I have NO expectation I'll be paying. I'm 99% sure it will come down. I'll keep checking the dates, I'll keep checking mousesavers for codes that go through my dates, and I'll get the rate down eventually before my trip.

So don't despair; it's entirely possible that your rate will come down, too. Best of luck!

Just answering this part...it's entirely possible the rates will drop and continue to drop before your trip.

I booked in November for February, and it's at a rate I have NO expectation I'll be paying. I'm 99% sure it will come down. I'll keep checking the dates, I'll keep checking mousesavers for codes that go through my dates, and I'll get the rate down eventually before my trip.

So don't despair; it's entirely possible that your rate will come down, too. Best of luck!

You are so correct, Bumbershoot! I just booked a car this morning:banana:.

It was $485+ in November, and today it is $177. Go figure.:woohoo:

Thanks for all your replies, I will check out the walk myself in March!:thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter