How to eat gluten free at Universal and hotels?

3prettyprincesses

"These pretzels are making me thirsty!"
Hello all,

My family and I are taking a Disney break and really REALLY want to try out Universal. We'd hoped to do so last January but it didn't work out.

Anyhow, I have Celiac Disease and cannot tolerate any gluten whatsoever. Here's my predicament. Where do I eat safely?? I'm nervous about getting sick while on vacation and have had very good luck eating at Disney gluten free. Can anyone offer advice, not just for eating in the parks but also if any of the accompanying hotels can accomodate me? Thanks so much!

Check out the food sticky. In the first post I have posted a phone number that you can call to speak to them directly. The menus from the parks and hotels and citywalk are also posted and should help.

Check out the food sticky. In the first post I have posted a phone number that you can call to speak to them directly. The menus from the parks and hotels and citywalk are also posted and should help.

Oh thank you! :goodvibes That is extremely helpful! I've been looking and it seems that Margaritaville and Mythos are both highly rated for their gluten free options. We're so eager to visit Universal/IOA! Thanks again. :goodvibes

we have had about 4 threads in the past about the special diet you asked about.
do a search and you'll easily find them.

hth

My daughter and I are celiacs and spent a few days at Universal last August. I called guest services before hand. They gave me the phone number for the head chef of both parks. He spent about a half hour on the phone with me telling me everything we could eat and where we should eat it from. He was great! We weren't planning on doing any table service meals, so he was very detailed about each counter service restaurant we should eat at, and which sauces and which dressings to avoid. We had a great trip and didn't get sick at all! We also are used to eating GF at Disney. The food at Universal was safe, but we didn't ever have buns for hot dogs or hamburgers, or Gf pizza or mac and cheese.

Have a great vacation!

we have had about 4 threads in the past about the special diet you asked about.
do a search and you'll easily find them.

hth

Thank you. :goodvibes I did do a search and found some information, not a whole lot but definitely some.

My daughter and I are celiacs and spent a few days at Universal last August. I called guest services before hand. They gave me the phone number for the head chef of both parks. He spent about a half hour on the phone with me telling me everything we could eat and where we should eat it from. He was great! We weren't planning on doing any table service meals, so he was very detailed about each counter service restaurant we should eat at, and which sauces and which dressings to avoid. We had a great trip and didn't get sick at all! We also are used to eating GF at Disney. The food at Universal was safe, but we didn't ever have buns for hot dogs or hamburgers, or Gf pizza or mac and cheese.

Have a great vacation!

Thank you! :goodvibes This is very encouraging. I'm used to eating at Disney where they did a great job with the gluten free. However, we're taking a break from going and would really love to experience Universal/IOA. May I ask, what counter service places did you and your DD eat at and what was available? We want to stay onsite too. Thanks again.

I remember the chef said that at counter service locations we would have the best options at the International Film Festival place in Universal Studios and at the Thunder Falls Terrace in Islands of Adventure (the one in the Jurassic Park area).

My daughter is a meat eater and I am a vegetarian. She had more options than I did. She ate ribs, bunless burgers and potatoes. I ate beans, rice dishes, salads, corn on the cob etc. We were also able to have butterbeer and pumpkin juice at the WWOHP area. There were ice cream things we could eat too. I wish I had my list that I took with me, but I lost it on the trip!

I remember the chef said that at counter service locations we would have the best options at the International Film Festival place in Universal Studios and at the Thunder Falls Terrace in Islands of Adventure (the one in the Jurassic Park area).

My daughter is a meat eater and I am a vegetarian. She had more options than I did. She ate ribs, bunless burgers and potatoes. I ate beans, rice dishes, salads, corn on the cob etc. We were also able to have butterbeer and pumpkin juice at the WWOHP area. There were ice cream things we could eat too. I wish I had my list that I took with me, but I lost it on the trip!

You were able to have the butterbeer? I've read numerous reports here that it isn't gluten free due to the topping being prepared in a high cross contamination area. Did you or your DD have any reaction to it?

No, we had no reaction to the frozen butterbeer. The chef told us it was safe. I am very sensitive and extremely cautious. I don't know if they changed the recipe since I went in August 2010, but it was safe then. I would definitely call guest services and ask specifically about it. I don't really remember any topping on the butterbeer when I went.

No, we had no reaction to the frozen butterbeer. The chef told us it was safe. I am very sensitive and extremely cautious. I don't know if they changed the recipe since I went in August 2010, but it was safe then. I would definitely call guest services and ask specifically about it. I don't really remember any topping on the butterbeer when I went.

Thank you! :goodvibes I didn't realize the frozen butterbeer would be different. I'm sure you're glad you didn't have a reaction too! :thumbsup2 I also am very sensitive to cross contamination which makes eating out extremely difficult. I appreciate your sharing your experience. :goodvibes

You can't go wrong with Thunder Falls Terrace! :teeth:

I'm on a GF/DF/FF diet and finding safe options can be very difficult. DS's wish for his b-day is to visit the WWoHP and we are surprising him with a day at IOA. I planned to just grab some safe packaged chips / diet coke and call it a day at IOA but now it seems like I'll be able to eat :banana::banana::banana:

Current information is so important for safety so thank you for this thread :goodvibes

I believe that I had some very plain rice and the refried beans were vegetarian, I would imagine they were dairy free too.

When you come back perhaps you can update the food sticky and I'll add your info into the first post. It would be very helpful.

When you come back perhaps you can update the food sticky and I'll add your info into the first post. It would be very helpful.

Yes, please do! It would be so helpful to read about your experiences. We're eagerly anticipating our first trip to Universal in August with a soy-allergic dd :goodvibes

I have no idea when we'll actually be going, but I will most certainly report back here about my gluten free experience! :goodvibes

One more quick question...has anyone had gluten free experience with the onsite hotels? We'd definitely be staying at either Portofino or Royal.

Thanks again to everyone for your help, it's appreciated.

Have a great vacation!

Boy, after spending 1 1/2 hours on the phone with you, I would hope that they now have a list they can simply email you with general allergy information. I realize talking to someone is helpful (we have a seseme allergy) but I like to have something written down rather than "taking notes" on what I am being told.

Boy, after spending 1 1/2 hours on the phone with you, I would hope that they now have a list they can simply email you with general allergy information. I realize talking to someone is helpful (we have a seseme allergy) but I like to have something written down rather than "taking notes" on what I am being told.

It was a half hour :) - But they really should have a list by now!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter