How to drop off family first and then pick them up after getting rental car?

kr8zymike

Earning My Ears
Hello cruise experts!
We'll be going on our 2nd Disney Dream cruise later this month and have a question about dropping off the family first and when we return about picking them up later because last time we did it the little one had to wait in the heat for picking up the rental car line that she nearly passed out.

Here's our situation now and my plan. We now have a 4 month old with us but won't be taking a stroller with us as I'll be using the ErgoBaby carrier. Drop wife and (now) 4 year old off with our luggage at the cruise terminal. I'll take the 4 month old to return the rental car because wife isn't strong enough (long story) to hold 4 month old using the ErgoBaby.

Have them go through security and up the escalator and wait for me in the waiting area.

Question: Can we do this? If wife has the cruise documentation and I have nothing, will they let me into the terminal? Or would a photocopy of the documentation be sufficient?

Question: Is there a drop off area for private cars?

On our return, I was thinking of leaving wife, 4 year old and 4 month old in the terminal. I believe there was an area for sit down unless I"m really mistaken. I'll take the luggage and go get the rental car.

Question: Is there a pick up place where I can stop the car so I can quickly take the 4 month old from my wife so she doesn't have to hold her? Or is it like the airport where i can't stop the car and wife, baby and child need to be on standby looking for me and rush out?

Sorry for the long post and questions. My wife is getting a bit upset and me saying "don't worry, we'll figure it out" doesn't cut it with her. So here I am posting and hoping that someone can help me out. :thumbsup2

Thanks so much in advance!

Yes, your wife and 4yo can be dropped off at the terminal, go through security and check you all in. You just need your DL to enter the terminal area and meet up with your wife inside. If your 4mo hasn't cruised before, they will stop you when boarding and take a picture for security purposes to have on file when their KTTW card is swiped onboard to board or disembark.

You are not allowed to enter the terminal area when you leave the ship. You will need to go through customs together as a family since you have one customs form per family. Your wife can wait with the luggage and the 4yo under the overhang by the curb. It will be early enough that the heat shouldn't be an issue. You have to be off the ship by 9 a.m. You are able to stop at the curb to both drop them off and pick them up in front of the terminal.

Yes, your wife and 4yo can be dropped off at the terminal, go through security and check you all in. You just need your DL to enter the terminal area and meet up with your wife inside. If your 4mo hasn't cruised before, they will stop you when boarding and take a picture for security purposes to have on file when their KTTW card is swiped onboard to board or disembark.

You are not allowed to enter the terminal area when you leave the ship. You will need to go through customs together as a family since you have one customs form per family. Your wife can wait with the luggage and the 4yo under the overhang by the curb. It will be early enough that the heat shouldn't be an issue. You have to be off the ship by 9 a.m. You are able to stop at the curb to both drop them off and pick them up in front of the terminal.

Thanks for your help!
Hopefully it won't be too stressful. Looking forward to a relaxing cruise.

Hello cruise experts!
We'll be going on our 2nd Disney Dream cruise later this month and have a question about dropping off the family first and when we return about picking them up later because last time we did it the little one had to wait in the heat for picking up the rental car line that she nearly passed out.

Here's our situation now and my plan. We now have a 4 month old with us but won't be taking a stroller with us as I'll be using the ErgoBaby carrier. Drop wife and (now) 4 year old off with our luggage at the cruise terminal. I'll take the 4 month old to return the rental car because wife isn't strong enough (long story) to hold 4 month old using the ErgoBaby.

Have them go through security and up the escalator and wait for me in the waiting area.

Question: Can we do this? If wife has the cruise documentation and I have nothing, will they let me into the terminal? Or would a photocopy of the documentation be sufficient?

Question: Is there a drop off area for private cars?

On our return, I was thinking of leaving wife, 4 year old and 4 month old in the terminal. I believe there was an area for sit down unless I"m really mistaken. I'll take the luggage and go get the rental car.

Question: Is there a pick up place where I can stop the car so I can quickly take the 4 month old from my wife so she doesn't have to hold her? Or is it like the airport where i can't stop the car and wife, baby and child need to be on standby looking for me and rush out?

Sorry for the long post and questions. My wife is getting a bit upset and me saying "don't worry, we'll figure it out" doesn't cut it with her. So here I am posting and hoping that someone can help me out. :thumbsup2

In 2011, we went on the Wonder with our three kids and our youngest was 18 months. We were able to drive to the port and park our car. After we debark and found our luggage, etc..., I sat with all of the luggage and the three kids while my husband went to get the car. It was probably only 15 minutes but boy did it feel like longer. With all the people milling about and the various bags and kids, it was rather stressful.

How long will it take you to get the rental car from the agency? (Our next cruise is scheduled in ten months and I am still deciding how to handle all this but your post is reminding me of all the pros and cons of what to do.)

Depending on how much it costs to pay for parking for the 7 days and the cost of keeping the rental car, I may decide to keep it for the week or get a private car service to take us to the airport. I just know that I don't want the wait to be longer than my husband walking to the car lot and getting the car even if I am left with just one child.

Perhaps, bringing an umbrella stroller as an addition to the Ergobaby would be wise too. It will fit in the closet in your stateroom. May give you a place to put a sleeping child (even your 4 year old on an excursion). Some umbrella stroller have seats that can be laid back.

Sorry to immediately see it from your wife's perspective but I have been there and I could hold my child......

Hello cruise experts!

Have them go through security and up the escalator and wait for me in the waiting area. Yes they can do this.

Question: Can we do this? If wife has the cruise documentation and I have nothing, will they let me into the terminal? Or would a photocopy of the documentation be sufficient? You will just need a photo ID to get in the terminal.

Question: Is there a drop off area for private cars? You can pull up in front of the terminal and the porters will take your bags.

On our return, I was thinking of leaving wife, 4 year old and 4 month old in the terminal. I believe there was an area for sit down unless I"m really mistaken. I'll take the luggage and go get the rental car. I don't recall an area to sit down.

Question: Is there a pick up place where I can stop the car so I can quickly take the 4 month old from my wife so she doesn't have to hold her? Or is it like the airport where i can't stop the car and wife, baby and child need to be on standby looking for me and rush out? Not as bad as the airport

Be sure to have your luggage tags on your bags when you pull up so the porters can just grab your bags.
Remember to have all your paperwork and maybe the kids bathing suites and anything the baby may need in a carry on in the front seat of the car with you so the porters don't take it. You won't be able to get into your cabin until after 1:30 and your bags won't arrive until later in the day.

It's crazy!! at the exit of the cruise Possible idea for the return trip?? Maybe the whole family take a cab to the rent a car place.

In 2011, we went on the Wonder with our three kids and our youngest was 18 months. We were able to drive to the port and park our car. After we debark and found our luggage, etc..., I sat with all of the luggage and the three kids while my husband went to get the car. It was probably only 15 minutes but boy did it feel like longer. With all the people milling about and the various bags and kids, it was rather stressful.

I recommend that if you park at the port you get a porter to take all your luggage from the customs area directly to your car. The porter always packed our luggage in the van/SUV while we buckled the kids into the car and got them settled, which was SOOOOO very helpful. It was more than worth the tip.

For a family of 4 you may want to consider renting a car for the entire trip and parking it at he port. I priced it our for our trip and after the port parking it was only about $50 more. Well worth not having the stress and aggravation.

I just called Disney about this today. They told me we do NOT have to get off the ship as a family. I guess we'll just ask for an extra customs form? We plan to send DH well ahead to get the car (all the way to Miami airport because of an awesome deal there :woohoo:) so we can stay comfortably on the ship somewhere. After an appropriate time, I'll debark with the kids and gather the luggage. We also thought about all going to the rental place, but we won't have a carseat for a taxi and I don't want to pay $60 or $80 for transport for 4. Still probably won't be easy, but I can't help it, I'm cheap:lmao:

This is great! Thanks for everyone's input.
So it seems there is a consensus that dropping off the wife and 4 year old + luggage first while I return the car with the 4 month old is not a problem.
Now the only issue is how to efficiently and quickly pick up the rental car.

@k3chantal - I can see where you're coming from. Wife just wants it as easy as possible for her. She claims that she can wait with the kids if she can find somewhere to sit. I'd be taking all the luggage with me to pick up the rental car. I'm thinking we see what happens. If the rental car shuttle isn't too bad maybe we all go together. We're picking up @ Avis where I signed up for preferred member so I hope I can just go in and pick up the car and go.

@mdurette - I have to add infant and toddler car seat to the car rental so it will get pretty expensive for the extra few days. But not a bad idea when the kids get older and i can bring a portable booster.

It was only last year when we did our first Disney cruise. I just want to make sure wife isn't so stressed about it this time and want her to enjoy and relax. THanks to the rest of you for your personal tips.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter