• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

How to Drop off a disabled person before parking?

4DogsnSeattle

Earning My Ears
Hello - I rarely post, but lurk an awful lot. I'm hoping someone can help me with this question:

We are leaving for WDW on Nov 29th. I have recently sprained my knee. I anticipate being able to walk with a cane but know I will have trouble negotiating the parking trams. How does one arrange to be dropped off at the park entrance before the rest of your party parks the car? Any info will be appreciated!

Hi 4 D. :wave: You just have to post a bit more, and don't lurk so much. Nice to see you here. :cool1: :thumbsup2

I am not sure, but I would think that if you speak to the parking lot folks (other than MK) as you go in, they would direct the car to the park entrance area for a drop off.

You might also post this on the disABILITIES board here on the DIS, good to have it both here on this board, as a Theme park question, and there as a disability question. I know you will get some answers.

Again, good to see you. :wave:

Thank you for the warm welcome Dan!

I did not realize there was a disabilities board. I will post there also.

Dan Murphy said:
Hi 4 D. :wave: You just have to post a bit more, and don't lurk so much. Nice to see you here. :cool1: :thumbsup2

I am not sure, but I would think that if you speak to the parking lot folks (other than MK) as you go in, they would direct the car to the park entrance area for a drop off.
You are right, Dan. There is a drop off point at the other parks near the front of the parking lot. They are close to the handicapped parking areas.
I am not sure about MK, but I believe the drop off point is at the Ticket and Transportation Center. That would not help you a lot because you would still have to walk a distance to either the boat (a farther distance) or the monorail (up a long steep ramp).
For MK, if you are staying at one of the WDW resorts, I'd recommend the bus. That will drop you off close to the park entrance.

You may want to check out the disABILITIES FAQs thread and take some of the information about ECVs and wheelchairs with on your trip. You might be anticipating walking, but a day at a WDW park involves a lot of walking and you may find after the first day that it's too much walking for you.

At all four parks they have recently added special wheelchairs just to get guests who can't walk long distances from the handicap parking spots to the entrance (or in MK's case, the TTA). The chairs are turquoise blue and have a blue flag on them so CMs can find them in the parking lot amongst the cars. Even the closest disabled parking spot is a few hundred feet from the ticket booths (that's at MGM Studios).

Of course, you won't be able to park in the Disabled spots without a disabled placard. A note from your doctor might let you park in the 'unmarked' disabled spots that Disney provides for guests who don't bring their placards with them. A doctor's note stating your limitations (in your case sounds like no stairs, can't stand in one place for a long time, etc) might help at guest relations (although they usually don't ask for a doctor's note).

If you have sprained your knee your probably going to want to rent an ecv or a wheel chair for your trip. Otherwise your going to end up being in lots of pain and probably mess up your knee more. At disney you do miles and miles of walking.

You may want to rent from an offsite location. THis way you have the scooter or wheel chair the entire trip. Moving around the resorts, and if you want to goto downtown disney, or other places, you would still have the chair.
If you goto the disAbilities section of the board, at the top in one of the sticky's has some names #'s of local places that rent ecv's and wheel chairs.

If you stay at a disney resort, your wheelchair or ecv will fit fine on disney transportation.
If your staying offsite, you would need to make sure you know how to disassemble the ecv, and re-assemble it to fit in your car. The wheel chairs fold up.
If the offsite hotels offer buses, you'd have to check how they accomodate the ecv, or wheel chair.

Good Luck,

indigo said:
At all four parks they have recently added special wheelchairs just to get guests who can't walk long distances from the handicap parking spots to the entrance (or in MK's case, the TTA). The chairs are turquoise blue and have a blue flag on them so CMs can find them in the parking lot amongst the cars.
We took advantage of these for our uncle who has a hip problem, he could manage walking around the park but just not coupled with walking to and from the parking lot too! As Zumbergc said though I would be tempted to rent a chair when you are in the park until your knee feels better as you don't really want to make it worse!

At MK there is a drop off spot past the Contemporary Resort, near where the buses pick up and drop off. Just tell the parking lot attendant that you are dropping off and they will tell you where to go. The driver will then have to exit the area and re-enter to park in the main lot.

indigo said:
At all four parks they have recently added special wheelchairs just to get guests who can't walk long distances from the handicap parking spots to the entrance (or in MK's case, the TTA). The chairs are turquoise blue and have a blue flag on them so CMs can find them in the parking lot amongst the cars. Even the closest disabled parking spot is a few hundred feet from the ticket booths (that's at MGM Studios).
There are wheelchairs, but there is no guarantee there will be any available when you get there. If you are in the handicapped spots and can't walk all the ay to the entrance, have someone drop you off near the front edge of the lot, then they can park.
Of course, you won't be able to park in the Disabled spots without a disabled placard. A note from your doctor might let you park in the 'unmarked' disabled spots that Disney provides for guests who don't bring their placards with them.
::yes::
There are some unmarked spots in the 'Medical Parking' area that you might be able to park in, but you can get a ticket for parking in the marked spots (some of the spots might have a handicapped sign, some moght have a wheelchair symbol on the ground and some might have blue paint for the lines. If you are sent to the 'Medical Parking' by CMs, just steer clear of those things and it should be OK.
A doctor's note stating your limitations (in your case sounds like no stairs, can't stand in one place for a long time, etc) might help at guest relations (although they usually don't ask for a doctor's note).
If you are using a wheelchair or ECV, you won't need a Guest Assistance Card (GACs). Usually the CMs will suggest that you get a wheelchair or ECV if you have problems with stamina for standing in lines. You can get more information about GACs in the disABILITIES FAQs thread, near the top of the disABILITIES Board.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter