how to dress in Dec.

Ochio

Mouseketeer
We will be at Disney on Dec. 15th. We usually go in the summer so I am completely lost when it comes to packing. What type of clothes will we need? I'm guessing shorts with sweatshirts/light jackets in the morning and evening. Anyone with experience out there? My children are 16 and 4.

It can be quite warm or if a cold front comes down far enough, it could get into 30-40 degrees at night. That is mighty cold if you are just sitting there waiting for a parade or fireworks. You really have to wait until it the week before your trip and check the weather report.

I do see a lot of people in shorts...I wouldn't even take shorts...but that is just me. If you can, find those pants that zip off into shorts. It is easy to toss the bottom part of a pant leg into a back pack. I would dress in layers so you could take it off if you get hot.

or be prepared to buy sweatshirts and gloves in the parks. You know that will be expensive.

I would a variety of thing that you can layer. We will also be there during the same time and we are taking mostly jeans, a couple pair of capris, short sleeve and long sleeve shirts and hoodies for jackets. Also take gloves like the stretchy ones (you can even get them at the Dollar Tree) since they are small and dont take up much space. We needed them a couple of times last year and we were there Nov./Dec. Layering seems to be the key.

Check the 10 day forecast before closing the suitcase..........as others have said Dec. can be up or down, although most evenings you will need pants and long sleeves, this upcoming week the highs will be around 70 and the lows in the 50's the problem with that is that 50 in FL is colder than it is up north due to the dampness.....you maybe able to wear shorts in the afternoon, but once the sun sets it does get a little chilly. There have been days in Dec that I have worn a ski jacket at night, if it does look like it will be cold when you are coming throw in some light gloves too.

First, chyam, that is the cutest little picture!! :goodvibes:

I agree about layering. We were there in Dec 2002 and did just that. We will do the same while we are there next Dec. I can tie my jacket and hoodie around my waste. :) I don't want to spend money on sweatshirts in WDW....I would rather spend that money on fun things to bring home.

I don't take shorts either, but I do bring my bathing suit, because I WILL go swimming!!

We NEEDED our winter jackets at least one year in December while watching the CP! Our poor friends from Florida didn't even HAVE winter jackets!

Bobbi :)

It will be in the 80s tomorrow. By Monday, the high will be in the upper 60s. Bring a variety of clothes. Temperatures vary radically at this time of year.

We were there during Thanksgiving and it was very chilly for 3 days. Check the extended weather forecasts.

Going next week will bring sweatshirts.

We're in Disney now and it's pretty warm. It comparable to spring time in Texas (we've lived in Texas for three years and it's nothing like Texas in December).

We were there last December and it was cold and rainy. It rained all day long, not just a few sprinkles for a short time. We wore jeans and they got soaked up to almost our knees! Couple that with the cold, and it was kinda miserable. One night for the MVMCP, we had on layers of clothes but still needed to put on our winter coats and mittens. It was so cold.

Another December when we went it was hot. We had to buy more shorts while we were there because it got into the upper 80s.

Just pack everything you have...lol.

I am bringing pants, some of which roll up into capris, and short sleeved shirts along with pullovers and sweatshirts. I figure I'll start the day with the sweatshirt on and maybe a fleece jacket, and then I'll gradually lose layers and roll up pants as the day goes on. Then, as it gets cooler in the evening, I'll add layers again.

We will also be leaving on the 15th! I've been having the same dilemna. I am packing stuff to layer. Bringing hoodies and Jackets along with a light scarf and gloves just in case. We are mostly bringing jeans/pants but will also take one pair of capris and one pair of shorts just in case there is a heat wave LOL! I don't anticipate on wearing the shorts. Also, I never forget the rain ponchos and I also agree about the dampness. Here at home, the lows right now are running single digits and below zero and to me 40 or 50 in Florida is way more miserable than it is here. That dampness goes right down to your bones!

We are going next Saturday, so a week earlier & have been watching the weather forecasts here on the internet. We're taking:
long sleeved tees
short sleeved tees
pants/jeans
1 pr of shorts each
hoodies
lightweight outer layer (like a heavier windbreaker)
knit hats
gloves

While most days are forecasted to be dry, our outer layer is water repellant in case of rain, and have attached hoods. If the temps are warm we can wear shorts, but we'll be switching to pants as the temps drop at night. We are staying in a villa so we have our own washer/dryer to cut down on the amt we need to pack.

alicenwonder99 said:
Just pack everything you have...lol.

As I've watched the forecast go up and down for our trip starting Friday, this is about the opinion I have! And from the looks of our luggage, we look like we're taking everything! We each have a suitcase - 4 of us, and there is also an additional duffel for snacks for the trip/room, a backpack for the camera, camcorder, and "park" stuff, and then my laptop bag. Oh, and a small carry-on bag with toiletry items, first-aid kit, etc, etc. I'm glad we're driving, and have an Expedition with plenty of room in the back! Flying with all this mess would be a nightmare.

I'm hoping for a few good warm days for swimming, but it's very iffy at this point.

I always suggest layers so that you can shed or add as needed. It's been unusually warm the last few days. A cold front is coming through Monday. Thanksgiving week was particularly cold, especially at night. Yesterday, I wore a short sleeve top and capris. In the sun, I was very hot, in the shade I was comfortable.

We will be there 12/15-12/22 and I've been wondering the same thing. I think we will plan to dress in layers. I'm just worried about space since I would like to bring a wide variety of clothing. We will have a stroller we also need to bring, a box of diapers and all those baby incidentals. Not to mention coats in case a front moves through, they take up a lot of room. We have a big car (Infiniti Q45), but there's not a lot of trunk space and you can't put luggage racks on top. I've thought about space bags to condense the clothing but don't know if those things really work.

carmie3377 said:
I've thought about space bags to condense the clothing but don't know if those things really work.

Ziplock freezer backs work great, especially for the baby's clothes. Put what fits into a ziplock squeeze the air out and instantly you have used less space than without it.

from a trip over Thanksgiving. The weather fluctuated quite a bit. It was 40 some mornings. Before we left it was downright hot (80 plus).

For the posters who are getting ready to go - I would definately take more than 1 pair of shorts. You may need them if the day time temps are high. Even at 70 degrees, shorts are perfect, unless you hate to show your legs.

The best thing I remembered to bring were those little stretch gloves. The are inexpensive and if it's cold, you will be SO glad you brought them. I wore them several nights. The cheapest gloves in the park were $8, so definately bring some.

For all those with December trips, have a marvelous time. I really enjoyed going when the temps were cooler than August. I may never go back in the summer again!

I always bring 2 pairs of jeans, 2 pairs of shorts, 6 t-shirts, 2 casual shirts w/ collars, a swimsuit, a sweatshirt, shoes and sneakers. I wear a light jacket down on the flight, so I have it if I need it. Have a great trip.

:surfweb:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter