How to do Disney with a wheelchair?

WayTooExcited

A tad overexuberant with excitement...
So yesterday my nephew, who is going to Disney with us in 15 days, did a flip off the monkey bars which resulted in 3 compound fractures in his back. OUCH! :scared: He's okay, won't need surgery and can still go to Disney, but he can't do roller coasters and walking is not very comfortable for him right now, so they're thinking about renting him a wheelchair.

How do you navigate Disney with a wheelchair? How does it work with rides? Does anyone have any experience?

Thanks!

So yesterday my nephew, who is going to Disney with us in 15 days, did a flip off the monkey bars which resulted in 3 compound fractures in his back. OUCH! :scared: He's okay, won't need surgery and can still go to Disney, but he can't do roller coasters and walking is not very comfortable for him right now, so they're thinking about renting him a wheelchair.

How do you navigate Disney with a wheelchair? How does it work with rides? Does anyone have any experience?

Thanks!
At first I thought, from dropping a stroller somewhere to using a wheelchair? Hope your nephew enjoys his trip.

Everyone on the disABILITIES board will have excellent suggestions for you. Moving you there. :)

Ha, yeah, things are getting kind of crazy two weeks before the vacay.... Hopefully things calm down a bit!

you will be able to do thing just like with out a wheel chair since most lines you can take a wheel chair in. a few you can not or you will by pass stars ( normily the stars is after the merge point for the FP so it is pretty fair in the line)

enjoy your vacation

a few things to remember

first aid is great if you need to lie down for a bit they also have ice if that would help and a few OTC meds

ok this is long but this is from disney website ( yes you could have looked it up your self but here is what rides are assessable what rides you have to transfer too what lines are assessable extra.

Services for Guests with Mobility Disabilities
Attraction and transportation access help Guests with mobility disabilities enjoy as carefree a visit as possible.
Attraction Access Categories

Walt Disney World attractions offer access for Guests with mobility disabilities in the following categories:

• May Remain in Wheelchair/ECV
  • Must Be Ambulatory
  • Must Transfer from Wheelchair/ECV
  • Must Transfer to Wheelchair
  • Must Transfer to Wheelchair, Then to Ride Vehicle
May Remain in Wheelchair/ECV

These attractions allow Guests to remain in their wheelchair or Electric Conveyance Vehicle (ECV) during the experience.

Magic Kingdom Park

Epcot

Disney’s Hollywood Studios

Disney’s Animal Kingdom Park

Disney’s Blizzard Beach Water Park

Disney’s Typhoon Lagoon Water Park

Must Be Ambulatory

These attractions require Guests to walk by themselves or be assisted by members of their party.

Magic Kingdom Park

Disney’s Blizzard Beach Water Park

Must Transfer from Wheelchair/ECV

These attractions require Guests to transfer from their wheelchair or ECV—by themselves or with assistance from their party—to a ride vehicle.

Magic Kingdom Park

Epcot

Blizzard Beach

Disney’s Typhoon Lagoon Park

Must Transfer to Wheelchair

Guests must transfer to a wheelchair provided at the attraction if their wheelchair or mobility device exceeds the standard overall dimensions of 30" by 48".

Magic Kingdom Park

Epcot

Disney’s Blizzard Beach Park

Must Transfer to Wheelchair, Then to Ride Vehicle

These attractions require Guests to transfer to an available wheelchair at the attraction, then to transfer from the wheelchair to the ride vehicle.

Magic Kingdom Park

Epcot

Wheelchair and ECV Accessibility with Walt Disney World Transportation
Most of the transportation systems at the Walt Disney World Resort are accessible to Guests with disabilities.

All bus routes are serviced by buses equipped to accommodate various types of wheelchairs within the following guidelines:

• The mobility device must fit the lift without being forced. Some motorized chairs and ECVs are too wide or too long for the bus lift. The standard lift size is 30” x 48”.
  • The mobility device must be securely fastened in the onboard restraints.
  • It is recommended that Guests using a scooter transfer to a bus seat while onboard.
Watercraft Access

Watercraft access varies depending on the type of watercraft and the existing water levels and conditions. Please contact a Disney Cast Member at the watercraft dock for information and assistance.

Monorail Access

Guests may access the Walt Disney World monorail system by using the elevators or ramps at the Transportation and Ticket Center, Magic Kingdom park, Epcot, Disney's Grand Floridian Resort & Spa, Disney's Polynesian Village Resort, and Disney's Contemporary Resort.

Disney's Magical Express Access

Disney's Magical Express motorcoaches accommodate most Guests in standard-size wheelchairs and ECVs. Please indicate if you will require a wheelchair lift to board the motorcoach when you book your Disney’s Magical Express reservation.

Wheelchair and ECV Rental
Wheelchairs and Electric Conveyance Vehicles (ECVs) are available to rent throughout Walt Disney World Resort.

Parking for Guests with Mobility Disabilities
Parking for Guests with disabilities is available throughout Walt Disney World Resort. A valid disability parking permit is required.

This board will definitely help. In addition to the rollercoasters he shouldn't probably avoid the rides with warnings: Dinosaur, Safari can be bumpy. Even the Tea Cups can be hard on the back.

If I am reading this list correctly, Spaceship earth is listed under both categories - "Must Transfer to Wheelchair" and "Must Transfer to Wheelchair, Then to Ride Vehicle"

Can anyone clarify which it is? Too late for us now but we bypassed this ride because Mom can't transfer from her wheelchair to the ride vehicle.

@WayTooExcited So sorry to hear of his accident! First, how old is he? I'm guessing young elementary school age since the accident occurred on the monkey bars. In which case, I'd suggest looking into a stroller rental (if he'd use it) or a pediatric-sized wheelchair. Most standard sized wheelchairs will be much too big and too uncomfortable for him to use often and multiple days in a rows. It could actually cause more stress on his back. Some of the off-site vendors do rent smaller-sized wheelchairs, depending on how big he is.

Enjoy your vacation!

If I am reading this list correctly, Spaceship earth is listed under both categories - "Must Transfer to Wheelchair" and "Must Transfer to Wheelchair, Then to Ride Vehicle"

Can anyone clarify which it is? Too late for us now but we bypassed this ride because Mom can't transfer from her wheelchair to the ride vehicle.
I saw that too space ship earth is a must transfer ride

It's both; they are redundant, but not mutually exclusive.

Clarification is. You must transfer from your EVC to a wheelchair to get to the loading area. Then the guest must be able to transfer from the wheelchair to the ride car. There isn't enough room in the loading area for an EVC and the loading area "spins".

Clarification is. You must transfer from your EVC to a wheelchair to get to the loading area. Then the guest must be able to transfer from the wheelchair to the ride car. There isn't enough room in the loading area for an EVC and the loading area "spins".
Good explanation.
The regular line and boarding area are not wheelchair or ECV accessible. There is a waiting area at the exit for guests with mobility related disabilities. Getting to the boarding area involves walking up the exit ramp to the boarding area. Someone who is not able to walk or walk that far can bring a wheelchair into the boarding area, but ECVs won't fit.
There is not a wheelchair accessible ride car, so all guests need to transfer to the ride car. There is a moving walkway which moves at the same speed as the ride cars; it can be slowed or even stopped if needed. They try not to stop it if possible because people on the ride have tried to get out in the past when it stopped. The boarding area itself is circular, which means the boarding area spins.

Don't forget to bring gloves (either golfing or biking that you can get inexpensively at Walmart, etc). Whoever is pushing the chair will be much happier with gloves to use.

we rented a wheelchair from Randy's mobility. it was about $115 for 14 days. they met us at a certain time in the lobby at our universal resort with the wheelchair.. and2 weeks later, met us in the lobby at pop century our departure day.. it had a rear storage bag.
this way we didn't have to go rent one every day and had it for the walk to the bus, and at the resort,

and rustyis right. if someone can cut in front a a wheelchair, they will. esp if you are trying to get the momentum going tp push uphill, or trying to hold back the wheelchair on a downhill.

The last part of the "Must Transfer to Wheelchair" has to do with size.
Guests must transfer to a wheelchair provided at the attraction if their wheelchair or mobility device exceeds the standard overall dimensions of 30" by 48".

Magic Kingdom Park
These attractions have a wheelchair accessible ride car, but a wheelchair that is larger than 30" wide by 48" long won't fit in it.
These attractions are shows with limited space or maneuvering room where a mobility device larger than 30" by 48" won't fit.
Epcot
Spaceship Earth was already discussed.... it doesn't have a wheelchair accessible ride car, but space in the loading area is limited.
These attractions do have a wheelchair accessible ride car, but a wheelchair larger than 30" by 48" won't fit in it.
This is an accessible tour, but has tight spaces
  • Behind the Seeds

The accessible ride car is not large enough for a wheelchair larger than 30" by 48"
The accessible ride car is not large enough for a wheelchair larger than 30" by 48"

I'm not sure of the reason for the size limit for this one, but I think it is maneuvering room.

Thanks everyone for your advice! I'll be sure to share this with my sister-in-law.

The most important thing is patience. People will cut in front of you, and there is no way to move through crowds quickly. You will have to go around to find ramps and curb cuts. That does not mean you cannot have fun - it just means you need to be patient and understand that you need to do things slightly differently....

I've been doing wheelchairs in Disney for years, and I have just as much fun as before! Hope you have a great trip.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter