How to decline a MagicBand since last update??

MickeyMinnieMom

If you ticket it, they will come... ;)
There used to be an obvious option to decline a MB for an upcoming trip... I can't find it now... anyone have any idea?

Oh wow -- I hadn't heard that -- thanks. I never do online checkin -- still prefer to do that in person -- I seem to have better luck getting a requested room that way.

Declining magic bands currently means you're declining to pick your band and prefer grey.

Goodness. That's all a shame! We have too many at this point... it starts to cause issues with MDE to have so many linked bands. Odd that they'd go through the expense of making and shipping bands people don't want. Hope that changes.

Thanks all for sharing your experiences!

Declining magic bands currently means you're declining to pick your band and prefer grey.
This is precisely why, after the ability to decline bands altogether, disappeared, we chose 2 plain color ones for the August trip. I did not want grey.

So, apparently there is still no solution to this...I just received an email this morning saying that my declined magicbands have been shipped. I have multiple trips scheduled over the next year. If this doesn't stop I will have 16 unwanted magicbands messing up my MDE account. What can we do? This is a terrible waste.

Yup, the last two trips I did online check-in and declined magic bands. Gray bands were waiting for us at check-in for both trips. Such a waste! And for those of us that already have so many magic bands in our profiles, it creates problems. We've had lots of door opening issues. For my upcoming trip, I think I'm going to do a chat with a CM and see if they can help making the decline "stick."

That’s crazy. They’re incurring an expense for no reason... gotta’ love Disney IT... and it’s starting to cause issues with my account that there are so many unique transactions / pieces of info... ugh.

Is this still the same deal? Trying to decline now and see no place to do so, for Dec 19th check in date. I have so many that the desk, last trip, kinda chewed me out saying I need to not get so many. Would if I could. I had been declining the past few trips. Can't do it now???

Last edited:
That’s crazy. They’re incurring an expense for no reason... gotta’ love Disney IT... and it’s starting to cause issues with my account that there are so many unique transactions / pieces of info... ugh.

Before my last trip, a couple of weeks ago, I went in and deactivated a few dozen magic bands. My whole experience with scanning on park entry really improved. So, just go in to your MyDisneyExperience, and deactivate anything you aren't going to be using. For our trip in November, I used online check-in, and declined magic bands. It's at the Yacht Club, so that makes it harder not to stop at the front desk, but I will find a way to completely skip it, and leave the bands there to be recycled. Maybe that's what it takes. Sigh.

Before my last trip, a couple of weeks ago, I went in and deactivated a few dozen magic bands. My whole experience with scanning on park entry really improved. So, just go in to your MyDisneyExperience, and deactivate anything you aren't going to be using. For our trip in November, I used online check-in, and declined magic bands. It's at the Yacht Club, so that makes it harder not to stop at the front desk, but I will find a way to completely skip it, and leave the bands there to be recycled. Maybe that's what it takes. Sigh.
When it comes to issues caused in MDE in part because of too many bands, I’ve been told by multiple CMs that deactivating them doesn’t really help. They say they have to be deleted, which only CMs can do for you — we’ve done it at hotel front desks. It helps some, but is a pain.

They really need to make it easy to decline the band to begin with. Don’t they care about the environment?!? ;)

Let me know if this works as I have several trips coming up. I did online check-in for our September trip at BCV and declined the magic bands and I still received an email that they had been shipped...2 days later the declined bands arrived in the mail. It's really frustrating that I can't make them stop.

We also had it happen that I declined Magic Bands during online check in and yet 2 gray bands were waiting for us at checkin. We asked the CM's there to please delete them out of our accounts.

We have a lot of Magic Bands...a few months ago what we did was to make a list of the Magic Bands in our accounts that we wanted deleted (write down serial numbers on the back) and gave the list to the Front Desk at our resort. (we did this at Boardwalk). Apparently this is a time consuming effort, so they appreciated being left with a list and they just did it over the course of the day.

If we really can't stop new bands from coming, looks like we'll be doing this more frequently!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter