How to deal with new FastPass rules

If the FP return times don't spread out like they used to, perhaps we will still be able to get FP's when you return in the evening.

E.g. Maybe, just maybe, if you return to the park at 6:00 p.m., you will be able to get a couple of headliner FP's before park closing time. I'll be checking the FP return times on my Lines app after the new rule goes into effect.

Maybe after it's been in effect for a few weeks, we'll be able to get a feel for how it's working. I'm just glad we're not going in March this year. At least I'll have a couple of months worth of information to go on for our June vacation.

Why? Is it because you want the mid-day break? You think you can't hit enough of them in the morning?

It is true and a good point... but I have always thought there was something rather special about riding the attractions at night. I particularly like Peter Pan at night, which I suppose is kind of silly since it is in a dark building anyway. Might come from having enjoyed the midway's at county fair's and state fair's in my youth, not sure.

In any case, I am not yet quite willing to give up on feature attractions at night yet!

Ed

PS

Will post a summary at 10pm Pacific time on what I consider to be the constructive ideas. Thanks to all for those.

We used Ridemax on our last trip, and it was very useful. it enabled us to schedule in fastpass use and estimated the return window and it was very accurate. This enabled us to use Fastpass to it's max benefit (within the rules). I think if they're going to enforce the return time, something like Ridemax will be even more helpful to those looking to ride headliners...

Thanks for starting this thread. We, too, are a family of FP hoarders :scared1:, and we liked it that way :cool1:. It will be interesting to hear people's ideas.

But, that still means one at a time for the most part, and doesn't explain how the OP could leave in the afternoon with multiple FP's in hand. If you go to one FP machine then walk directly to another you can't get another...each printout must be spaced a couple hours apart. Unless they were in the park for 6 hours and got one every 2 hours after arriving.

Getting three FPs in the morning is a piece of cake. Head straight to any FP attraction at rope drop, and your return time will be 9:45ish-- that will also be the time you can collect another FP. Collect another at 9:45, and you'll probably get an 11- 11:30ish return time. Get another at 11-11:30am, and you've got three and still haven't had lunch yet. You can get a new FP 2 hours later OR after your return time begins, which ever is FIRST.

To the OP --

We too used the same FP strategy as you for many trips -- RD afternoon Break, evening return. The family has been spoiled with returning in evening to ride all the headliners with little to no wait.

I am planning for our next trip to instead do mostly 3/4 park days then head back to the resort for swim, dinner, etc. So instead of leaving the park at noon or 1:00 and returning to park for dinner or after dinner, we are planning to stay in the park until around 3:00 or so to use our FP's in their window then do more dinners at the resort restaurants. If we return in the evening, it will be for parade, fireworks and to hit some of the low line attractions.

What will be interesting to watch is how the new rule affects FP return times. Maybe as a previous poster mentioned, the FP return will not get so far out on headliners like Soarin.

I am most concerned about my lunchtime ADR, specificially at CRT this trip. That ADR tends to run late, so we'll have to be careful about whether to grab a FP before we go to lunch.

I am thinking we will tour like this from now on, too. Parks in the evenings after dinner will be mainly for parades and fireworks. Thank goodness that we don't still have young kids who need naps. If I still had a three year old in tow, this whole new system might really mess up nap time!

I am also interested to hear how this new policy will affect lunch time ADRs. We always get the dining plan, and since we eat a quick breakfast in the room, sometimes we make breakfast-for-lunch ADRs at character breakfasts. These worked well for us in the past-- Spend the morning at MK, and then head over to the Poly for an early lunch at 'Ohana, but now I'm worried that our FP return times will interfere with our ADRs. We're going in Sept., so honestly, I'm hoping this whole thing will blow up in Disney's face and they'll put it back the way it was by the time we get there! --Katie

I'm a rule-follower.
I follow the rules.
Print me up a rule and I'll follow it.
I teach my kids to follow the rules.
We're a family of rule-followers.
Just tell me there's a rule, and I'm all about following it.
If you want to follow the rules, the rule is simple...
follow the rules.
That's the rule.

-Just following the rules.

That's so beautiful. It inspired me to write this Haiku:

FastPass time is now
Must get in line for the ride
Can't come back later

Roses are red
Violets are blue
I follow the rules
And that's my Haiku

-Burma Shave

Priceless! :thumbsup2

The rule for this thread is to come up with a creative idea for riding headliner rides at night during a busy week without having to wait long in line!
Get a line warrior in your group as he gets near the front, fake a heart attack, when the EMTs/CM comes to assist simply follow them like you belong there.

Make friends with a CM, look for which rides they're working the FP return line, go sneak through with them.

Personally I think the issue here is that yeah there are people who are being "self-righteous" by mentioning the new policy. But seriously you're asking how to do something which by definition isn't going to happen anyways. (i.e. how to avoid lines, on crowded days at the park)

Some ideas that come to mind.
*first step is when the policy officially changes, find out what the latitude will be then try to rework a strategy.
*perhaps change YOUR plans for how to tour the parks, obviously your old strategy of grabbing fast passes early, go rest up for the afternoon, and use them late isn't going to work. So perhaps don't go rest up in the afternoon, or don't do it until you get the FPs you want.
*on crowded days there's a VERY good chance FPs will be distributed well before your rest break for the premium/headliner rides, so getting a FP for the evening will still be possible
*To try to get multiple evening passes, learn the how the rides work and which ones will be more crowded than others, as a results try to predict how quickly the FP return times will advance throughout the day, get whatever apps for smartphones, or keep circling by rides to glance at the FP return windows to do this.

ExampleLooking at DHS, obviously TSMM will be your first one to go belly up, maybe as early as 10am-12pm, 2 hours later run by RnR check the times, if you're lucky there will still be FPs that you can snatch up for later in the day, go back to the hotel and rest, come back, try to hit ToT see if FPs are available, grab one, then look at your times and know where you need to be, Fantasmic or any other shows are out of the question though. You might hit the 3 headliners with this strategy, it becomes a little harder in places like MK with multiple headliners and none of which get distributed super early like TSMM or Soarin'.

*Understand you're not going to be able to avoid all the lines any longer. The rules have changed, so you need to adapt to them.

*Instead of an afternoon break, have an evening break. Be done with the parks by 5pm, hit dinner, rest up for the next day. If you need to see fireworks/shows come back later for them.

*shed a tear as you realize you'll never be able to experience the park how you like to every again... unless you go during slow periods in which cases, FPs? Bah for sissies I tell you!

This is starting to sound like a military strategy than a vacation. Maybe I'll consult the Pentagon for my next touring plan...:confused3

I'm all for the enforcement of the FP time. I just don't see what the big deal is to ride the ride on your correct time slot.
as long as they do so across the board. It'd be nice to have a chance @ TSM tickets later in the am peak times.
You can also subscribe to a touring plan service. I've used them during peak seasons, and they are well worth the low cost. You get on a lot of rides with short waits followng the touring plans. They even advise you when to pick up Fast Passes for which rides.

or buy current Unofficial Guide, their touring plans are right on the mark.

I'm a rule-follower.
I follow the rules.
Print me up a rule and I'll follow it.
I teach my kids to follow the rules.
We're a family of rule-followers.
Just tell me there's a rule, and I'm all about following it.
If you want to follow the rules, the rule is simple...
follow the rules.
That's the rule.

-Just following the rules.

you're a poet, don't you know it:laughing:

"You're pirates. Hang the code, and hang the rules. They're more like guidelines anyway" - Elizabeth Swann

disney has lots & lots of rules:rolleyes:however, they don't enforce them on a consistent basis. No wonder so many of us make like pirates & snag those FPs;)yo ho yo ho.

Fixed it for you.
It's a secret technique only we "abusers" understand...

You horrible horrible abusers! ;)

I was also thinking that one person might stay in the park through the break that we generally (and many others take) and collect FP for the headliner rides that hopefully have later return times, while the rest of the family is cooling their heels at the hotel/villa... That person would exit the park when the rest arrive so that they can re-enter using their tickets. It is a drag for the person that has to stay behind, but I would guess this would be just about bullet proof...

Any other ideas?

Ed

I dont think that would work. Since, at the moment, you cant control return times, a 4 hours nap ( with 1 person staying behind in the park) would yield 2 fastpasses per person and the return time just might be before the rest of the party comes back for the evening.

OP I would assume that the lack of early morning hoarding will open up more fast passes for later in the day. TSM might still be out by noon, but Soarin, Space and similar might still have fastpasses when you return.

We used Ridemax on our last trip, and it was very useful. it enabled us to schedule in fastpass use and estimated the return window and it was very accurate. This enabled us to use Fastpass to it's max benefit (within the rules). I think if they're going to enforce the return time, something like Ridemax will be even more helpful to those looking to ride headliners...

We're big Ridemax fans, too. Hopefully, Ridemax will have this all figured out for me before I step foot in the park :lovestruc. --Katie

Quite a few posters contend that fast passes will not run out as early in the day under the new policy as they have in the past. Could some one please explain this logic to me? We do rope drop and get fast passes whenever we are eligible to do so. We don't plan to change this - we will just change when we use them. So why would there be more fast passes left? We will put more planning into the order that get the fast passes. I'm also anticipating much more crisscrossing the park.
Besides TSMM, are there any other fast passes that run out before noon?

But, that still means one at a time for the most part, and doesn't explain how the OP could leave in the afternoon with multiple FP's in hand. If you go to one FP machine then walk directly to another you can't get another...each printout must be spaced a couple hours apart. Unless they were in the park for 6 hours and got one every 2 hours after arriving.

You can get a new fast pass after your fast pass return window passes or two hours after obtaining a fast pass - whichever comes first. For example if you get to DHS at RD, you get your FP for TSM at 9:20am and return time is for 11:45am. At 11:20am, two hours after getting my TSM FP, I grab a FP for Rock n Rollercoaster. Return time is for 12:20pm. I now have two FPs in my possession. At 12:20pm, since my RnRC return time is up, I grab at FP for TOT. I now have three FPs in my possession, head back to my resort for a mid-day break, and then come back after dinner to use my three FPs. This allows me to do the "less popular" attractions in the morning with a short or no stand by wait, and I hit the headliners at night with my FPs. This was my experience in September, and likely would not work at a busy time of year when you'd likely have to wait the full two hours in between fast passes due to later return times.

So, OP, I am with you. Enforcing FP return times will mess up my strategy as well. The xpass sounds interesting though and who knows - maybe it will be for the better!

Quite a few posters contend that fast passes will not run out as early in the day under the new policy as they have in the past. Could some one please explain this logic to me? We do rope drop and get fast passes whenever we are eligible to do so. We don't plan to change this - we will just change when we use them. So why would there be more fast passes left? We will put more planning into the order that get the fast passes. I'm also anticipating much more crisscrossing the park.
Besides TSMM, are there any other fast passes that run out before noon?

I agree with this ^. If the "majority" of people are using fastpasses during the designated return time anyway, I don't see how more fastpasses will be left later in the day going forward with this new policy :confused3

OK... I'll bite.

The rule for this thread is to come up with a creative idea for riding headliner rides at night during a busy week without having to wait long in line!

Ed

Nicely done Ed.

We always travel in June and July, we rarely use the fastpasses.

We always get hoppers so we can go to the non-emh park in the mornings early and then hop over to the late stay parks and take advantage of the shorter lines at 11:00 pm. We love it.

At Animal Kingdom - after the parade at 3:30? the park thins out considerably. If we ever get a FP there it is only for the Safari.

At EPCOT - Soarin is the only toughie, if I get there at 3:00 and all the FP are gone, I won't ride it. BUT, I will ride it on a day I arrive early. It helps to have a FP for Maelstrom, but those return times are reasonable.

DHS - TSM is a mess, that is an adventure all in its self, and I don't know how that will be affected. But ToT and RnR both have reasonable return times and they are close to each other. We generally take advantage of the Parades and Fantasmic shows for shorter lines. ToT is walk on during Fantasmic.

MK - Most of the return times are reasonable. I only use fastpasses for Splash, Peter Pan, and Space Mountain. But I have no trouble making my return times. Those late stays are most helpful at MK.

We may have to try ridemax. Never used them before.

I have a strategy in mind, but it isn't within the guidelines of just riding headliners at night. It's my strategy in life:

Get there early.
Have a plan.
Take a siesta.
Take it easy in the evening.

This strategy literally works every day of my life. Get there early.

So here's a sample of how my plan works at WDW with a mixed group of ages of kids with FL as it currently is:

Get to MK at 8:45am. Send an FP runner to get Splash FP. They are for return time 9:45-10:45.
The rest of the fam heads to Dumbo & should be getting off when you get to FL. Ride Pooh. Ride Tea Cups.

It'll be 9:40. Send your runner to get BTMRR FP. Rest ride Carousel.
BTMRR FP are for 10:25-11:25.

You come back, ride Peter Pan. It'll probably have a 20 min line. Just stand in it.

Then go ride Splash and BTMRR.

Eat lunch. While fam is cleaning up & using the potty, FP runner gets Space FP. It's for a return time of 2:00-3:00.

Come back.
Ride magic carpets & Pirates.
Then go see Philharmagic and Laugh Floor. In between the shows it'll be 2:00. Get Buzz FP.

At 2:45 ride Space. And then it'll be time for Buzz.

Check FP times for Space on your way out. They may well be for 6-7:00. Get one.

Go to hotel & nap/swim.

Eat dinner. Come back and ride Space. Ride HM and enjoy the line queue in the dark.

Find yourselves a little spot for the parade by 8:00. Chit chat with the people around you.
Watch the parade. Watch the fireworks.

Thank Walt for his delightful imagination.

See? Not a disaster at all.

Is it really that difficult to go on the ride at the time on the fastpass? I don't understand it. I have never had a problem. If you don't think you can make it back in time then don't get a fastpass.

I have found that the rides are easier to get on at night. Or maybe you can wait to ride the headliners on an EMH night?

I have been contemplating some type of FP swap. I am not exactly sure in my mind how I'd want to work this out, but I think I would still grab FPs first thing when I got to the park. If it turned out that we ended up with a conflict (an ADR ran late, somebody in the group needed a nap, etc), I would have one member of my group go back to the FP machines for the ride I had FPs for. I would find someone in line to get FPs who had the same size group I do and offer my "good right this minute" FPs to them in exchange for their later in the day ones. I assume lots of people would be thrilled to be able to get on Soarin or TSM 3-4 hours earlier than they'd planned. If the new return time didn't work for us, I'd just give my FPs to a person in line.

If I were eligible to get a new FP at the time, I still might be able to leave the park for an afternoon break with a few FPs that could be used for later, depending on return times/crowd levels. I think grabbing several in the morning when you can get multiples in 45-60 minute intervals to trade later might be a workable strategy.

I agree with this ^. If the "majority" of people are using fastpasses during the designated return time anyway, I don't see how more fastpasses will be left later in the day going forward with this new policy :confused3

+1. The logic doesn't hold up here. I honestly hope that it is true and that FPs for TSM and Soarin' will be available later in the day. However, I believe they will run out pretty much the same time as always. Either that or there are a lot more of us "evil, wrongdoer, rulebreakers" then most people seem to think exist. Also, it makes the assumption that us rulebreakers are going to all of a sudden get fewer FPs. I will be there March 10-17 and intend to maintain my current strategy of grabbing as many FPs as possible. I will just have to double back to hit things. I would say at MOST I might get one fewer FP in a day if I notice that it interferes with my ADRs, but most days I anticipate getting the same amount of FPs now as I got before

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter