• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

How to Convince Wife to Goto Rope Drop

fbarker

DIS Veteran
I need your help. My wife and I have been going to WDW for many years first when the kids were young and now as "mature" adults going by ourselves. We have never gone to a rope drop, even when the kids were around. My wife says she is on vacation and does not want to feel the rush or pressure of getting up early, getting ready, having b'fast (which is a must for her) and getting to park in time for rope drop.

So i am looking for your help of how I can convince her to try it just once.

I can't convince my husband or son. We've been AP for close to 20 years and I can count on one hand all the times we've done rope drop.

DS needs his sleep so he doesn't have a seizure and dh is not a morning person.

I need your help. My wife and I have been going to WDW for many years first when the kids were young and now as "mature" adults going by ourselves. We have never gone to a rope drop, even when the kids were around. My wife says she is on vacation and does not want to feel the rush or pressure of getting up early, getting ready, having b'fast (which is a must for her) and getting to park in time for rope drop.

So i am looking for your help of how I can convince her to try it just once.
Don't, get up and go yourself. Don't let others no matter who they are leave you with regrets later in life.

I would go for the MK RD. The show always is enjoyable. And as a PP says just plan to go yourself and let her know. Maybe she will come around....We all have to give a little to get a little now and then! I know if my DH put the foot down there's no way I could miss on opportunities in WDW.

My DW is not normally a morning person but she does get up for rope drop at Disney. We enjoy the ability to get a lot done before the crowds show up. Of course we also stop mid day for a break (and perhaps a nap). We also would have the fixings for breakfast in the room to make that go faster.

I suggest putting together a plan that includes an easy day the day before the rope drop experiment and include the option to take a break mid day to reenergize after the early start.

Finally, emphasize the words "just once".

I would go by myself. When I travel with DM, she is kind of a poke in the morning. She can rally a couple of days and get going but then she kind of hits a wall. We got up and left without her. She got up on her own and took her time getting ready and met us at the park. Everybody was happy :)

Luckily both of us are RD people, and on most mornings we have breakfast in our room. Although it is easy to say to go by yourself, I have done that a couple of times on our last day when rather than go to RD DW preferred to stay and pack her things. (I always do mine the night before) The times I've gone to the parks alone were really not as fun. I had no one to talk to and share with, so even thought I enjoyed being at Disney, I enjoy it much more when DW is with me.

OP, as others have suggested, try a breakfast at CP in MK, and do it early in your stay. Later on the tiredness creeps in on you and it might be harder. Try it maybe your second full day there. It could be that after she sees what can be accomplished with an early start, she may change her opinion.

I love rope drop - no one else in my family. I have, on the rare occasion, hit a rope drop by myself. I prefer to spend my time at WDW with family, so that is rare. That said, none of us decides how the entire family will vacation. Make her understand that this isn't just her vacation - it is also yours. You should, therefore, be splitting choices throughout the trip, whether that be at WDW or anywhere else.

She wants to sleep in. Fine. Half the days you sleep in. But not every day. She likes breakfast. Fine. Half the days you have a sit down breakfast, but other days you do a grab and go. One person imposing demands on the other simply would not fly in our family.

Don't, get up and go yourself. Don't let others no matter who they are leave you with regrets later in life.

This. Just tell her you're going to rope drop and she's welcome to join you. It's your vacation too, not just hers. Besides I've never considered WDW a vacation in which to relax. That's that the beach or a cruise is for. It's an adventure vacation much like climbing Everest: it takes money, planning, and stamina. ;-)

Last edited:
How about sneaking out and getting her some breakfast and bringing it back to the room really early so she can have that before she goes? It may be that she just likes to sit for a few minutes with her coffee. If she really doesn't want to do it, I think it's totally fine to go over yourself for a bit one morning and come back and meet up with her later.

I'm with those that say get up and go by yourself. DD and I can go from open to close. DH, not so much. So we go for rope drop and DH catches up when he's ready. Then he can go back to the room and nap or lounge at the pool when he's ready too.

This. Just tell her you're going to rope drop and she's welcome to join you. It's your vacation too, not just hers. Besides I've never considered WDW a vacation in which to relax. That's that the beach or a cruise is for. It's an adventure vacation mush like climbing Everest: it takes money, planning, and stamina. ;-)

Wish I could "like" this more than once!

I haven't tried letting one person sleep while others get going - I like the idea in general, but here's my concern: we all like the same attractions (pretty much everything) If I get up and take advantage of Rope Drop, I do it to get a bunch of rides - especially headliners - with little wait. When sleepyhead finally arrives, they want to do all the same stuff. Now I'm waiting in longer lines to do doubles and when somethings falls away, I've still missed out on some other attractions. I'm probably overthinking it. . .

I can't stand the morning crush of people. I don't like the mad dash at rope drop. If that comes into play for OPs wife, you can do our family's "almost rope drop". We try to arrive only a couple minutes before park opening. ,most parks actually let people in a little early, so the folks who have waited 30+ min are already flowing through and you catch the end of the wave, so you're never in the shoulder-to-shoulder stand-around crowd. Not a good plan if you want the prime ride (7 dwarfs, TSMM) but still great if you're just generally trying to do lots of attractions before the later crowds arrive.

I am not a morning person at all. I always preferred to work night shift, like from noon to 10pm. However, I do make myself get up early and do rope drop when I'm at WDW. You can get so much more done.

I would ask again, and promise that if she doesn't want to do it again, then so be it. Maybe once she sees how much you can get done, she will be a convert. Otherwise, I would go on my own, and meet her later. It is your vacation, too.

I agree with the pre-opening ADR, if you can get it. There is something so magical about being in the limited group that gets to walk down Main Street before the big crowds.

That said, its also magical to watch the opening ceremony and be in the RD crowd - especially if you aren't hustling to Mine Train, or Peter Pan, or whatever.

Just being there when the park is fresh, clean, the CM's are so happy to see everyone, the characters are out greeting, its just a beautiful time.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter