How to convince DH?

Luv2trav

DIS Veteran
DVC Silver
We are going on our first WDW vacation in March. I have been there before but not for 17 years. We have an 18 month old and I can imagine that we will be coming back A LOT. With having a small child and future children I love the idea of staying in a condo like room. I have done my research and it looks like DVC is the best option for us if we choose to come back year after year. However, DH is absolutely refusing to even look at the idea of a timeshare. Do they offer tours of the actual resorts? I am hoping after we visit he will realize that DVC is the way to go....

Any tips on how to convince my DH that DVC is not a money pit?

There are absoutely tours! Go over to BCV and take a glance- do it in the middle of your trip on a down day. Just make an appointment - you don't have to, but if you do, they might comp you lunch :teeth: (Out guide is Julie Hughes- she's great, and the one that's been working with us from the beginning- NO PRESSURE at all!) We looked at buying into the DVC for almost 5 years before we actually did. My husband wasn't so hot on the idea either, but after we went down to WDW on the last trip, I think it finally sunk in that we'd be doing this A LOT , and he decided he liked deluxe hotels way better. If your hubby doesn't want to buy first time down, try renting points for the next time and staying at one of the DVC's- it won't be long before he changes his mind!!!!

Renting points is a very good idea. DH are thinking about going back down for our anniversary in late Aug/Sept maybe after this trip in March and if we go back down in Sept he might be easily convinced...

We are VERY new to this whole idea. We haven't even stayed on site yet... However, I just know this is what I want...

I will take the tour and I hope they are not pushy...

Originally posted by Luv2trav
...(snip)....Any tips on how to convince my DH that DVC is not a money pit?

WDW is a money pit. DVC is the bait. :teeth: :teeth:

If your DH does not want to visit at least every other year, and would not normally stay in deluxe accomodations, DVC is probably not a good value for your family. Also, DVC works best for those who can plan their vacations 10-11 months in advance.

Best wishes!

BEWARE!!!!!!!!!!!! Once you stay onsite- you'll NEVER go off again!
AS I said before Julie is not pushy at all- there's no need to be -the DVC sells itself! If your husband has never been to WDW he will be surprised and delighted at all there is to do there- you could spend weeks there and never do everything, and the DVC allows you the option to use your points on the cruises as well as at other locations throughout the world- you are not bound to WDW -although you'll want to be!!!:p If you'd like Julie's toll free number, just pm me and I'll be happy to give it to you.

Mouseplanet (www.mouseplanet.com follow the DVC links) has good financial links about the break even point.

Disney's own sales literature is rather optimistic on the break even point.

You can invest in the smallest possible (150 point) contract. The 300 point contract you were talking about in the other thread may be a little much for hubby to stomach at first. Then, once that is bought and paid for, and you establish you can write the dues check every year without cringing, and you've been down and have discovered the benefits, you can approach the idea of an add on.

A 150 point contract (which is what we have) is ample to spend about a week in a two bedroom every other year if you aren't traveling at peak seasons. With your small family currently, your daughters young age (no need to travel at peak times), and your stated intent to go every year or so, 150 points can hold you for a stretch. When you need to go more often, stay in a bigger unit, stay for a longer time, or need to go over school holidays, you may want more points.

If your tour is anything like ours was 1992, it will go like this:

You see the presentation, your guide will ask if you have any specific questions, he will give you the "nuts & bolts" details. So far, like any other timeshare presentation, except the longest we ever had to wait for a guide (when we wanted to add-on) was 10 minutes - with no appointment. Then the difference kicks in. Your guide will ask you if you're interested, if you say "NO", or "Not right now" the presentation is over. He/she thanks you for your time and you get to leave. All very pleasant. If you say you are interested, your guide will give you some privacy to discuss it amongst yourselves (I thought our guide abandoned us :) ), then will ask again if you have specific questions. Another manager will ask you if you're SURE this is what you want to do, and ask again if you have any questions. The papers will be drawn, it doesn't take long. You'll sign and be on your way. Before your paperwork is recorded and finalized, you'll be contacted by phone, and asked again, if you're happy with the program, or if you want to cancel the contract. All very comfortable. I hope you'll make time for a tour during your March visit so you can at least see the models and get the info...then if you're undecided...rent points for your next trip. You'll find the accomodations are identical to the models (minor design changes from unit to unit, like balconies etc.). One thing important not to do is to "read" more into the contract than what is there. DVC gives you the right to beautiful accomodations at a reasonable price at your home resort. It does NOT automatically entitle you to special discounts and benefits, although they are offered, they can be withdrawn at any time, including cruising on points, trade outs to non-DVC resorts, park ticket discounts, Disney store discounts, etc. Basically, if a buyer takes the time to fully understand what they are buying, they won't be disappointed.

Good Luck to you in convincing DH into buying.

I took my husband on the tour during our very first visit to WDW with our then 1/yo.(5 1/2 now) He agreed while we were there, then later recanted, and I'm still nagging him to join! I think I've almost convinced him (either that or he's tired of me nagging him;) ) Whichever it is I don't care.

There is absolutely NO pressure at all from any of the guides, so you can relax about that, and as karebear said they might give you a lunch comp. if you schedule an appt. Approach one of the kiosks inquisitively though. I'd say renting points makes the difference. We're renting for our upcoming trip because, you can't rent those rooms from Disney very easily. Once your DH sees how much your spending to rent pts. he might come around.

Thank you so much for your suggestions. I love the idea of breaking him slowly with just 150 pts.. Plus I am sure it is very hard to convince someone of something if they have never been there...or in at least 17 yrs... That is one of the reasons I feel we need to either tour or vacation a lot more.

How in the heck did I go from staying off site to wanting to buy a DVC in 1 month? This board is definately contagious...

thanks again!!

By the way from all my research it appears I like the Boardwalk Villas best... What are your favorites?

DH and I joined in 2000 and our home is BWV. We tend to agonize over large purchases, but the DVC presentation is painless. We also bought a small resale in late 2001. Our first trip home was Sept. 2001, and it was really the strangest feeling to have such awesome accomodations and when we checked out our bill was less than $5!!!(I think it was phone charges)
We just got back on Saturday from our forth DVC trip and actually came home with several hundred dollars in travelers checks!! Many posts from members mention adding on points, it really is addictive.

I would start by trying to explain that DVC is not the same as a regular timeshare. Timeshare did have a lot of bad publicity in it's early days While there are many reputable companies involved in it now, there are still the occasional sharks about. With DVC your contractor is Disney which has a reputable name, Disney will get back the resorts in 2042 and because of it's on going involvemnet in the area ( ie WDW) it isn't going to let the resort go to rack and ruin. That was always my biggest worry of a timeshare , that the developer builds , sells then doesn't bother with the upkeep. That is likely to be his first objection which hopefully you can calm his fears

Secondly is going to be the cost. If you are both happy to spend a lot of the next 15 years visiting WDW ( and with young kids that's likely). You will have a good point of reference as to how much WDW holidays will cost you paying cash. It's likely that you will have got some type of discount on your room because of the recent quiet market at WDW It isn't certain those discounts will continue to be available If you haven't been for 17 years you are going to find the cost of eating on WDW is likely to be a shock. If you calculate how much you'd save by just eating breakfast in your room it will make a sizable sum add drinks and an occasional evening in with a pizza. It's quite easy to make the financial side a justification

Thirdly is the slightly more difficult side of how much nicer the "condo style" units are and are they worth taking the commitment to that type of vacation. Maybe whispering in his ear how romantic it would be to have some privacy from the children and not having to share a bedroom ( or even a bed if they become like mine and wouldn't sleep with each other) might sharpen his mind to the possibilities ;) .

If he needs any more encouragement then the different exchanges with II giving the opportunity to exchange the WDW resorts for other high class resorts around the world would nail any objection as to the " I'd like to visit other destinations" argument

I think that'll have most of his possible objections answered, if he's not won over by then at the very least you'll have him on the back foot by now ROFLMAO :D

Definitely do the tour, my DW and I bought into BCV's last October and love it. We have stayed at many of the WDW resorts and have always loved Beach Club best, so it made sense to buy there. Good luck and hopefully your husband will come around and see the Magic !!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter