How to choose

sweetcanadian

Mouseketeer
Hi, i am booking our trip in October for our familymoon (yes we are bringing my 13 year old son) for August 2012. My FH & i both decided that we would get our dream vacations, 1 would be for the honeymoon & 1 for our 1st year anniversary (without son). Neither of us have been to disneyworld before & i can't figure out where to stay. He doesn't care so he is no help, as far as he is concerned they all look good to him lol.

We will be there for 10 days, spend some time at the resorts, i am torn between them. I look at all the pictures & i get so overwhelmed trying to figure out where to stay. I had asked a long time ago but at that point i knew sorta where i wanted to stay & as a result of that post i got confused.

It has to be a moderate resort as we can not afford the deluxe ones. I originally wanted POFQ for the quaintness & being in proximity to POR, then wanted CSR because people recommended it as they said CBR was far too big with a lot of walking, now after seeing a TR of CBR it looks awesome. HELP lol. I don't care about food as i can only eat chicken fingers (dry foods) anyways so i don't care about the dining so much at the resorts, quick service is good enough for me.

What do you recommend & why?

It really comes down to what theme appeals to you the most.

You will find great reviews of each of the values, and poor ones as well.

The POFQ is the smallest of the moderates and has the least amount of walking.

The POR-Riverside, CSR and CBR are larger resorts (CBR being the largest) and require more walking. You can pay for a "preferred" room at all three of the above.

Truthfully, I find the talk of the long walks to be overexaggerated. We have only stayed at the CSR (we actually prefer it over the deluxes, and we have stayed at the CSR nine times), but we have visited all of the moderates and walked from one end of the resort to the other. We've had longer walks when we used to stay at the Contemporary.

Like I said, look at pictures of all of the moderates and go with the theme that appeals the most to you.

I know how overwhelming the choice can be! I usually plan our family's (party of 12) vacation every year, and you want to make everyone happy. Now we're Floridians, so I can't really attest to bus service because we typically drive EVERYWHERE, but let's see if I can help....

I've stayed at CBR once, for a weekend trip, and I LOVED it! So much so that we are going to stay there on our upcoming trip. We stayed in Jamaica (The yellow buildings across from Old Port Royale - Pool, food court, gift shop), and the walk to Old Port Royale was a breeze. Just cross the bridge and you are there. Took no time at all to get morning coffee and tea. Love the atmosphere, love the quiet pool. Such a warm, welcoming, beachy feel. REALLY feels like you are on vacation. Plus, it's close to Epcot and Hollywood Studios. You can even see the high fireworks from Illuminations if you are near Old Port Royale. The only downside is the pool drinks are small and over-priced.

We've stayed at Coronado Springs and my ENTIRE family LOVED it - and these people are NOT easy to please :lmao:. My favorite location is the Casitas, which are right next to the main buidling. The pool is fun, maybe not as fun as CBR's, but the pool bar is the BEST ON PROPERTY!!! I'm not a drinker, but there is a refillable mug station and they serve finger foods which were YUMMY! My brothers and cousins enjoyed the adult beverages. Panchitos - the gift shop - never seemd crowded, in fact the resort in general never seemed crowded...And we were there in December, during POP Warner and all the coaches were staying at CSR. The grounds are lovely. The food court is different than others, they seat you and you pay a gratuity. We didn't use the quiet pool as it was being refurbished when we were there. Check in was a breeze. We were very sad to leave. Have stayed in all three villages, and the Ranchos are definitely a bit of a walk, but the Casitas and Cabanas are just a short walk from the main building. CSR definitely feels more deluxe than moderate - queen beds, shampoo and conditioner H2O products, and the rooms are so nice.

I've never stayed at POFQ - but REALLY want to. I've done a lot of research, and if you're looking for a small, quaint resort with a fun pool, POFQ might be perfect for your familymoon!

I won't comment on POR, as we had a terrible experience. But the resort itself is gorgeous and the food court was really good.

Any questions, feel free to ask! Have fun choosing!!! :wizard:

Well only staying moderate narrows it down to four choices. :laughing:

As KatMark said, it really comes down to which place appeals to you the most. Short of having a clear favorite, I'd pick from a hat! I don't think you can go wrong with any of the mods.

The only Mod I've stayed at was POFQ. I really loved the compact size and relaxed feel of the place, but I'm eager to try the other Mods too.

It really comes down to what theme appeals to you the most.

You will find great reviews of each of the values, and poor ones as well.

The POFQ is the smallest of the moderates and has the least amount of walking.

The POR-Riverside, CSR and CBR are larger resorts (CBR being the largest) and require more walking. You can pay for a "preferred" room at all three of the above.

Truthfully, I find the talk of the long walks to be overexaggerated. We have only stayed at the CSR (we actually prefer it over the deluxes, and we have stayed at the CSR nine times), but we have visited all of the moderates and walked from one end of the resort to the other. We've had longer walks when we used to stay at the Contemporary.

Like I said, look at pictures of all of the moderates and go with the theme that appeals the most to you.

that is the problem, i don't know what appeals, maybe i will split our stay lol

When all else fails, write down your choices and pull one out of the hat - leave it to the fates!!!!!!!!

The only moderate we've stayed at is CBR and we loved it :goodvibes. But as others have said, I would choose the one that appeals to you the most (although I know how hard it is since there are so many great choices). We would definitely return to CBR as we had a great stay and thought the resort was beautiful, but I'm sure the others are just as great ;). Good luck deciding and happy planning :wizard:.

I vote for CSR. It's a wonderful resort!!

But, if you simply can't decide, I also think you should throw all of them into a hat and pick!

Well you seem to be leaning towards CBR and with it's tropical lush feel - you'll love it. But as others have said, I would suggest putting all the names in a hat and seem which one you pull out. Then the difficulty may be sticking to that choice. :rotfl:

You can't go wrong. They are all great. Go with the one you have the best deal and if they are all the same, I agree with all the PP's - pull one from a hat! Have fun!

The moderates are all similar with slight difference. While I prefer the rooms at CSR, I like the building colors at CBR better. POR has the best food court, but I like the water view at POFQ better.

Just pick the one you like best and go with it.

Not sure if this matters, but by August 2012 POR will be done with it's refurb and that would mean CBR would be the only Mod without queen beds.
For our family we like the Mods in this order:
1a) POR(my fav) - Theme, landscape, boat to DTD, Piano Bob, you can rent boats and bikes, great pasta/salad bar at their FC, nice pool and slide, can walk/boat over to POFQ and use their amenities and even has carriage rides. Buses can be problematic at times and sometimes shares with POFQ.

1b) POFQ(DW fav) - Theme, DD likes dragon pool area, all rooms close to pool and main bldg, boat to DTD, beinets(yummy), can walk/boat over to POR and use their amenities, sometimes shares buses with POR but POFQ gets picked and dropped off first.

2) CSR - Theme, we like the casitas section best, great pool and children play area, very good luck with buses, Pepper Market has a good variety of food choices, Cafe Rix for quick eats and has spa and exercise room.

3) CBR - Have not stayed there in a long time, we live by the beach, so theme doesn't do anything for us, it does have the biggest rooms of the Mods, but no queen beds.

thanks for the extra info, i know the decision is hard but it honestly may come down to names out of a hat. ugh lol.

Disney's resorts have themes.

I would choose the theme that most appealed to my family and try it out.

CBR has the wonderful beach area.

POFQ has the New Orleans look.

POR has the Ab section and the Mansions with the deep south look.

And CSR has the southwest look.
--------------------------------------------------------
Here is my list of the differences-----

Mod vs Mod

'CBR is 340 square feet and the other mods are 314.

They are basically laid out the same but CSR only has 1 sink (the other have 2 sinks.)

Also CSR is the only mod that has Queen size beds.

The other mods all have double beds.

Here is the layout of POR:

portorleansriv.gif

POR room lay out

Room size Comparison:

Pop Century/All Stars-260 Square Feet
CS, POR/POFQ-314 SF
Caribbean Beach-340 SF
Wilderness Lodge-344 SF
AKL-344 SF
Yacht/Beach-381 SF
Boardwalk-385 SF
Polynesian-409 SF
Contemporary-436 SF
Grand Floridian-about 400-440SF
Ft Wilderness Cabins-504 SF
Family suites at All Star Music -520 SF

POFQ is not as spread out as the other mods or the values.

POR CBR and CSR are very spread out.

The mods have pool slides, a hot tub and a sit down restaurant (POFQ doses not have a sit down restaurant but shares with POR.)

POFQ and POR are concidered sister resorts so they share pools.

When staying at one of these resorts you can use the other resort's pool.
You can also refill your refillable mug at either of the food courts.

Some of the rooms at POR in the AB section have a trundle bed and can sleep 5.

---------------------------------------------------------
Transportation.

CBR has 7 bus stops.
CSR has 4 bus stops.
PO has 5 stops. 1st stop POFQ then 4 stops at POR.
POFQ & POR do have a boat to DTD.

----------------------------------------------------------
Elevators

CBR does not have elevators

CSR has elevators

POFQ has elevators

POR the AB section does not have elevators
POR the Mansions does have elevators

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Have fun at Disney!:wizard:

Disney's resorts have themes.

I would choose the theme that most appealed to my family and try it out.

CBR has the wonderful beach area.

POFQ has the New Orleans look.

POR has the Ab section and the Mansions with the deep south look.

And CSR has the southwest look.
--------------------------------------------------------
Here is my list of the differences-----

Mod vs Mod

'CBR is 340 square feet and the other mods are 314.

They are basically laid out the same but CSR only has 1 sink (the other have 2 sinks.)

Also CSR is the only mod that has Queen size beds.
The other mods all have double beds.

Here is the layout of POR:

portorleansriv.gif

POR room lay out

Room size Comparison:

Pop Century/All Stars-260 Square Feet
CS, POR/POFQ-314 SF
Caribbean Beach-340 SF
Wilderness Lodge-344 SF
AKL-344 SF
Yacht/Beach-381 SF
Boardwalk-385 SF
Polynesian-409 SF
Contemporary-436 SF
Grand Floridian-about 400-440SF
Ft Wilderness Cabins-504 SF
Family suites at All Star Music -520 SF

POFQ is not as spread out as the other mods or the values.

POR CBR and CSR are very spread out.

The mods have pool slides, a hot tub and a sit down restaurant (POFQ doses not have a sit down restaurant but shares with POR.)

POFQ and POR are concidered sister resorts so they share pools.

When staying at one of these resorts you can use the other resort's pool.
You can also refill your refillable mug at either of the food courts.

Some of the rooms at POR in the AB section have a trundle bed and can sleep 5.

---------------------------------------------------------
Transportation.

CBR has 7 bus stops.
CSR has 4 bus stops.
PO has 5 stops. 1st stop POFQ then 4 stops at POR.
POFQ & POR do have a boat to DTD.

----------------------------------------------------------
Elevators

CBR does not have elevators

CSR has elevators

POFQ has elevators

POR the AB section does not have elevators
POR the Mansions does have elevators

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Have fun at Disney!:wizard:

The bold above is not correct. POFQ now has queen beds in all rooms, and the POR-Riverside is in the process of getting them.

The bold above is not correct. POFQ now has queen beds in all rooms, and the POR-Riverside is in the process of getting them.

Thanks for the updated info I was not aware of that.

Is there a link to photos of the updated POFQ rooms?

We stayed at CSR, and it really felt like a deluxe even though it was a moderate. I would love to stay there again! This time we are doing POFQ just to try something new, and I am hoping I love it as much as I loved CSR

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter