How to carry water into park...1st trip without stroller

stitches4kids

Earning My Ears
Leaving in 11 days!!!! August heat, 4 kids too old for stroller! Youngest is 9. Planning to carry 1 backpack with necessities. What do people use for water bottles that won't weigh a ton or make dh cranky?????

We carried 2 thermos 20 oz water bottles. They aren't light but they keep the water ice cold. We kept refilling them all day. We were there June 29-July 1. These bottles were worth their weight!!! And I carried them most days.

You don't need to carry any water with you. Every quick service restaurant or kiosk where they have a soda machine will give you a free cup of ice water. You'll save money and won't have to lug bottles around with you.

We bring bobble water bottles. We like them because they have filters built right in and we can fill them at the water fountains whenever we want water.

You don't need to carry any water with you. Every quick service restaurant or kiosk where they have a soda machine will give you a free cup of ice water. You'll save money and won't have to lug bottles around with you.

Yep.

If you really want to bring your own water, just have everyone carry their own bottle.

We've used a camelbak at Disney before - water reservoir sits on your back, so the weight (several pounds of water) didn't bother us. You can sip on it as needed. We put ice in the morning and it stayed pretty cold for most of the day; it's also fairly easy to refill (but takes a while - 2 L is a lot of water when it's coming from a water fountain!)

Lots of companies make the bladder part available for sale on it's own, and many backpacks already have a space for a water bladder - check out the Source brand if you're unfamiliar. They have a zip-top version that is very very easy to refill and clean; my husband has one for hiking and he loves it. There's a 2L and 3L version.

http://www.amazon.com/Source-Outdoo...07422302&sr=1-2&keywords=source+water+bladder

Walmart also carries these for a bit less, and they have a gel icepak version (i.e. you stick the bladder itself in the freezer and the gel freezes) but we felt like putting ice in a normal bladder did just as well.

Just another option if you're still interested in carrying it around.

We bring bobble water bottles. We like them because they have filters built right in and we can fill them at the water fountains whenever we want water.

We did a combo of the above. I carried one Bobble (because Florida water tastes weird) and we sipped on that - mostly me - when we were on the go. If we had time, there was no line, or we were getting another snack or meal anyway, whoever was thirsty would ask for free water from the soda fountain. We'd refill the bobble from either free soda fountain water or drinking fountains.

Keep in mind, though, we went in Jan/Feb, when it was just normal thirst, not It's-a-jillion-degrees-and-I-need-to-keep-hydrated.

We've used a camelbak at Disney before - water reservoir sits on your back, so the weight (several pounds of water) didn't bother us. You can sip on it as needed. We put ice in the morning and it stayed pretty cold for most of the day; it's also fairly easy to refill (but takes a while - 2 L is a lot of water when it's coming from a water fountain!)

Lots of companies make the bladder part available for sale on it's own, and many backpacks already have a space for a water bladder - check out the Source brand if you're unfamiliar. They have a zip-top version that is very very easy to refill and clean; my husband has one for hiking and he loves it. There's a 2L and 3L version.

http://www.amazon.com/Source-Outdoo...07422302&sr=1-2&keywords=source+water+bladder

Walmart also carries these for a bit less, and they have a gel icepak version (i.e. you stick the bladder itself in the freezer and the gel freezes) but we felt like putting ice in a normal bladder did just as well.

Just another option if you're still interested in carrying it around.

I second this. We use Camelback(s) and they are the best invention in my opinion. We can put tap water and/or add powdered mixes (bladder must be cleaned very well after) or gatorades anything really.

We have a back pack one so we can throw jackets, pins, paperwork, keys, wallets, sunglasses, sun screen, ponchos etc in it and it is very easy to carry, doesn't our backs or shoulders. It is the best ! :thumbsup2

My DS is too old for a stroller, but we still bring one. Makes a great "shopping cart". We usually go in Jan so it is a great way to hold all the extra layers we need for the weather. We are going this month and I plan on bringing a swim suit for him to change into so he can go nuts at the splash stations. I won't need to carry a wet suit all day. We have a very simple umbrella stroller that my DH extended the handles on. The handles never seem to be long enough and I'm short!

There are also straps to attach to water bottles and everyone could easily carry their own.

We use a backpack. It carries our drinks and anything else we need. I carry it and doesn't bother me.

Yep.

If you really want to bring your own water, just have everyone carry their own bottle.

Yep. Once our kids were old enough to walk the parks they were old enough to carry stuff. They each had a small backpack and carried their own water bottles. Now there is just the 2 of us and DH carries the water bottles (his backpack has outside mesh pockets for 2 bottles.

I second this. We use Camelback(s) and they are the best invention in my opinion. We can put tap water and/or add powdered mixes (bladder must be cleaned very well after) or gatorades anything really.

We have a back pack one so we can throw jackets, pins, paperwork, keys, wallets, sunglasses, sun screen, ponchos etc in it and it is very easy to carry, doesn't our backs or shoulders. It is the best ! :thumbsup2
Do you keep it on for the rides or have to take it off? Thanks!

I also use a camel pack because I can stash other odds and ends in the backpack area with it. For rides, just take it off and put it in the bag slot in your ride car. Its no bulkier than a small packpack. I always make sure to tuck the straw bit into the bag so it doesnt get dirty on rides and such. We usually put ice in it in the mornings and it stays cool. You can buy extra of the actual blue camel packs in various sizes. We do one for water in the parks and and one in the fridge in the room that we add a powdered gatorade pouch to. The powder packs are about 50 cents at grocery stores, the pack easy and rinse out of the camel pack pretty well if you use the little cleaning tool.

Something else I tried once were those roll up water pouches that clip to your belt loop. They worked well enough but I got tired of refilling them as they seemed to only hold about as much as a Caprisun packet.

We carry Platypus Bottles and fill them up at the water fountains. I got ours from MEC here in Canada. Sorry if the link does not work....I am technically challenged. ;)

http://www.mec.ca/product/5030-358/platypus-plusbottle/ No=40&h=10+50033&f=10+50033

Several of the fountains are filtered and ice cold...like the one across from Sleepy Hollow. Sometimes we would add a squirt of MIO lemonade or liquid kool-ade if there was a chlorine taste. Love that you can just roll it up when you are done and it fits in a pocket or any small space. I use a small Sherpani cross body bag and it easily fits 2 of them in there plus my phone and first aid stuff.

On our last trip to Disneyland we figured using these bottles in the park for 6 days (miss the 6 day PH) saved us well over $250 for the 4 of us....just in water! We have no idea how much it saved our last trip to DW....lots!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter