How to become family of the day on DCL?

AmandaRN2007

Earning My Ears
We are going on out 2nd DC in December. I have heard of families being chosen as family of the day. Does anyone know how the families are chosen? Thank you

We are going on out 2nd DC in December. I have heard of families being chosen as family of the day. Does anyone know how the families are chosen? Thank you
One of the check-in CMs is tapped to select one. You don't know who it is. It's totally random.

I've read where "cute" family groups (sometimes with matching t-shirts) have been chosen. But that's not a guarantee that you will be.

i heard from a bus driver :drive:that they are changing their family of the day policy! They will give no notice ..

for those of you who have not been following the other threads, that's a joke, son.....:love:

We were chosen to be "family of the day" on the Magic once. We had an early port arrival time. 10:30, if I recall correctly. The three of us all wore the same red Disney Cruise Line t-shirt that you can order from the Disney Store website. Our son happened to be turning 4 years old on embarkation day, but that was probably just a coincidence. After checking in at the desk, we lined up for a welcome aboard photo with Minnie and a cast member who had been watching us approached us after the picture and asked if we would like to be the "family of the day." We said sure and she asked that we stick around a general area so that she could easily find us when it was time to start the boarding process.

From what I could tell, it was just a random selection. But, as PrincessShmoo pointed out, it probably helped that we were wearing matching shirts. So did the fact that our child was happy and exuberant at the time. And, seeing that the cast member had other duties to attend to until embarkation started, I imagine our early port arrival time weighed in our favor on that particular day as well.

We were chosen to be "family of the day" on the Magic once. We had an early port arrival time. 10:30, if I recall correctly. The three of us all wore the same red Disney Cruise Line t-shirt that you can order from the Disney Store website. Our son happened to be turning 4 years old on embarkation day, but that was probably just a coincidence. After checking in at the desk, we lined up for a welcome aboard photo with Minnie and a cast member who had been watching us approached us after the picture and asked if we would like to be the "family of the day." We said sure and she asked that we stick around a general area so that she could easily find us when it was time to start the boarding process.

From what I could tell, it was just a random selection. But, as PrincessShmoo pointed out, it probably helped that we were wearing matching shirts. So did the fact that our child was happy and exuberant at the time. And, seeing that the cast member had other duties to attend to until embarkation started, I imagine our early port arrival time weighed in our favor on that particular day as well.

Thank you for the information. I've done some research on it and seems like the early arrival and matching shirts seem to be the way to go. We plan to do that. Plus my daughter will be turning 8 while on the cruise. Guess it's in Mickey's hands :mickeyjum

Yep, random and luck. If you have that something that catches a CM's eye then they will approach you. I don't think you can "try" to be family of the day. I think they look for genuine enthusiasm.

MJ

What does being the Family of the Day entail?

It means that your family will be the first to board the ship. One of the Cast Members makes a big deal of announcing your family and everyone claps and cheers as you leave the waiting area and go to board the ship.

The one thing I think you have to do if you want to try to be family of the day, is arrive to port relatively early. Since the family of the day boards first, you clearly need to have been there in time for that. So, I would guess arriving no later than 11, and maybe even earlier than that.

Yep, random and luck. If you have that something that catches a CM's eye then they will approach you. I don't think you can "try" to be family of the day. I think they look for genuine enthusiasm.

MJ
and I would add to the Genuine List
  • Joy
  • Wonder
  • Happiness
And in our experience the Family of the Day - were NOT wearing Matching Outfits - but I am sure that it helps.

I also think that having kids in the 5 - 12 age group is also an advantage - because that "looks like a family going to Disney"

and I would add to the Genuine List
  • Joy
  • Wonder
  • Happiness
And in our experience the Family of the Day - were NOT wearing Matching Outfits - but I am sure that it helps.

I also think that having kids in the 5 - 12 age group is also an advantage - because that "looks like a family going to Disney"
Yeah, sadly 2 "mature" adults traveling together are not a "family".

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter