How to avoid being an obsessed drill sargent

TeddyToo

Mouseketeer
I worry on occassion that I am becoming obsessive and will "over plan" our trip and be constantly trying to keep on a schedule :scared: How do you balance making ADRs and paln which parks to visit in advance and not take the fun out of the vacation?pixiedust:

I worry on occassion that I am becoming obsessive and will "over plan" our trip and be constantly trying to keep on a schedule :scared: How do you balance making ADRs and paln which parks to visit in advance and not take the fun out of the vacation?pixiedust:

Only schedule a couple ADR's for the trip. Have a general plan - not an overly specific one. Make sure each day you ask each family member what 'one' thing they want to do and make sure you do it (could include characters, rides, shows, food, parades etc). Have a back-up park for each day when the rest of the family would rather do a different park than you have scheduled. Relax - if you don't get it done this trip, schedule another:beach:

Beyond planning "which parks which days" and our ADRs, we don't have a written plan. I'd never be able to stick to a step 1-2-3 schedule while touring.

The best thing to do is, like DisneyDadof3 says, pick a few things you really want to do, and make sure you do those. If you learn which attractions build up lines quicker, and make good use of FastPass, you can plot your own tour "on the fly." We begin each day with a general idea of what we want to see, and we know enough of the park touring tricks to plot our own course. :)

One thing I did before the first trip we took was, instead of plotting out a "touring plan", I spent a lot of time beforehand familiarizing myself with the park maps and where everything was located. My GF Nikkie was amazed that I was able to navigate the parks so well. We haven't even cracked a park map in the last two trips because of my keen WDW instincts.:rotfl:

Beyond planning "which parks which days" and our ADRs, we don't have a written plan. I'd never be able to stick to a step 1-2-3 schedule while touring.

The best thing to do is, like DisneyDadof3 says, pick a few things you really want to do, and make sure you do those. If you learn which attractions build up lines quicker, and make good use of FastPass, you can plot your own tour "on the fly." We begin each day with a general idea of what we want to see, and we know enough of the park touring tricks to plot our own course. :)

One thing I did before the first trip we took was, instead of plotting out a "touring plan", I spent a lot of time beforehand familiarizing myself with the park maps and where everything was located. My GF Nikkie was amazed that I was able to navigate the parks so well. We haven't even cracked a park map in the last two trips because of my keen WDW instincts.:rotfl:

Very, very good point. It's knowledge that's critical, not having a schedule.

You won't be able to stick to a tight schedule. There are a million things that could happen that will throw it off, probably before lunch on your first day in a theme park.

If you want to eat in TS restaurants, you'll need to figure out what park to visit each day, so you can make ADRs. Beyond that, make up a list of what attractions you want to see in each park.

Once that's done, instead of making a schedule, put your energy into learning all you can about WDW. Read the guidebooks, read the boards. That knowledge will help you tremendously.

I agree with the idea of taking a couple trips, theres just too much to do for one trip and thats where the stress comes into play.

Once that's done, instead of making a schedule, put your energy into learning all you can about WDW. Read the guidebooks, read the boards. That knowledge will help you tremendously.
This is the planning route we took and it worked our great. It also helped that we did not have any ADR's in the parks. I would rather have a nice meal on property on a non-park day and instead, just grap a quick CS meal when in the parks and/or something from one of the food carts.

One thing I found helpful is knowing the park shortcuts getting from one land to another. Two examples...

1. The two passageways that go between adventureland and liberty square and adventureland and frontierland.

2. The pathway from tomorrowland to toontown along the railroad tracks.

1st trip in may.....
I was hardcore....Up and out...
At parks at opening everyday...
Constantly lookin at the list....
Ran hubby ragged....

2nd trip....at this point I knew we would be back A LOT...

So I really just went with the flow....I realized I like to chill at the
resort...
Went to the park in the morning....left after lunch....
Went swimming....did some crafts with DD in cubs den...
Got ready for our ADR....then either hit a park at night...
Or just go back to hotel and chill....
Hubby really appreciated the relaxed pace...

As long as you go back again....In fact...it trained hubby....
I knew he was hooked....when DH...was like..
Dont worry honey...we'll see it next time:thumbsup2
Kerri

Our last trip (also our first multi-day trip) I planned everything down to the minute. BUT, I highlighted those things that were must-do's. Then we did what we could and didn't stress over missing anything, because we can always take another trip to WDW!!!!! ;)

This worked for us for the following reasons:
  • we didn't have to think once we got there - we just followed the list
  • It allowed us to plan all our ADRs in advance and we planned around them
  • having everything down on paper allowed us to follow a plan that helped us get round the parks more easily - I had spent a lot of time studying the maps so we went in order instead of jumping all over the place
  • listing all the rides/events/attractions/eating establishments that we wanted to experience allowed us to skip those things that we didn't want to see without having to make the decision right then and there (who wants to waste time arguing over something when there's rides to ride!!!)

DH and I had only been to MK and EP one day each prior to this trip, so all the studying, planning & mapping helped us navigate the parks that we had never been to much better than if we had dne nothing at all. If we hadn't planned, we would've been so lost!

Now that we've been once, we have a better idea of what to do this next trip - even though there are whole sections of each park that we never entered due to time restraints. But those areas are #1 on the list for this trip! Then after we do them, we'll do some of the other things we did last time.

I know that this was a bit wordy - but it worked for us.

I try to only plan one ADR a day so I don't feel like I am running from one place to eat to another. Also remember you are on VACATION, don't stress out. If you can't make a ADR or if you miss one show or parade your trip won't be ruined... be flexible.

We have our favorites. I do have structured plans but as long as the must dos are taken care of,if we vary after that,it's fine.

I agree on doing your research is the key. If you want TS dining you must make ADRs. I review the maps to get feel of the layout to avoid wandering around lost.

We have a plan of what park to do each day and we make use of FastPasses but don't follow a minute by minute plan.

I'm a bit of a drill sargeant as well, but for the sake of my poor family, I am toning it down for this trip!

We plan what park for what day so we can make one park ADR most days, and also b/c we use TGM and his best days advice. Then I have planned the first 2 hours of each day so we can do our MUSTs with the least amount of waiting. After that, we will relax. I have a general plan that gets us to where we need to be for lunch or a parade etc., but in between things are flexible. The only other touring planning I have done is to make lists of things my parents want to do in each park so that on the days they join us (which won't be every day) we will cross off their list. The day we go without them will be totally based on what the kids feel like doing.

Do you have kids and if so, what are the ages? I think that matters too. When DH and I went on our honeymoon, I bought the Unofficial Guide, and tried to follow the plan. It worked well, but woo boy, it kept us busy. We did take one day to sleep in, go to DTD, have a nice honeymoon dinner, and then go to PI. That helped alot, but we were still tired from our vacation! You definately don't want to come home exhausted thinking I need a vacation from my vacation! (Been there, done that :rotfl: ).

We don't have any children, but my sisters do, and they always planned down time to go back to the resort and rest or go swimming. It helps avoid meltdowns - we have seen a ton of those on our trips;), and I think it helps everyone to relax and get ready for more! Since we have been so many times and DH's younger sister who lives there and works at the RFC in DTD, we have built in a lot more free time. We know what things we love to do in each park (ALWAYS kick off at DS with ToT and RnR - and end our trip there too) and we also include something new...a new character breakfast, or new attraction. Last trip we finally went to see Cirque and took his sister to CP for CB with Pooh & Tigger. This year we're going back to Seaworld (last time we went was 99), and going to a CB at the Poly. We've never even been to the Poly! And we now come back rested; although most times we hate to leave.

As for ADR's, we always make one for the CB, but generally don't make any others. We eat on the fly when we are hungry. We made one a few trips ago at Rose & Crown, and ended up waiting FOREVER! And we also find that we are able to get into some park restaurants with a short wait. Don't know if it's dumb luck or the fact that there is only two of us. IMOP, ADR's makes you less flexible and very much scheduled around specific times to eat (the whole "can we go in this and make our ADR?"). But then again, some people swear by them.

Good luck!

I plan each day out right down to meal time.. I am a little obsessed with not missing anything which drives my hubby insane he doesn't like being on a schedule. I promised him this time i would try to be a little bit more flexible except for being there bright and early on that i won't budge.:rotfl: Anyone else tend to way over plan things or am i just a little nuts?

I am the world's worst over-planner, as well. After a couple of "max planned" trips to Disney, I have finally figured it out (much too late, according to my family).

Here are the "magic" words to plan by:

1. GET THERE EARLY! Be at the gate 30 minutes before scheduled opening. This is the #1 absolute gotta do it rule. Most folks just can't get up and get going in the morning, and you will have an hour or so of touring with no crowd pressure at all.

2. After doing #1, have three things you want to ride/visit and do those first. Remember, the bigger the ride, the longer the lines later.

3. After doing #1 and #2, chill out and relax. Life is good!

My best suggestion would be park-hoppers. Then you can do whatever you want (parks, resort, shopping, etc.) and just show up at appropriate parks for your dining reservations.

:crazy2: O.K. I was a drill sargeant myself, back in the day...that was many years ago..now that my kids are older (13 and 20), Iam much more relaxed..we get up when we want usually around 9:00 or so get to the parks around 10:30 take our time going to see what we want, go back for a relaxing swim, or nap in the hammock, then get ready for the evening. Were night owls so we like to hit the MK at night because there open the latest. We always get park hoppers so we can come and go when and were we want.:thumbsup2 We only do 3 ADRS during our 8 day stay so were not rushed. Every year on the way back from Disney we always talk about what we didnt go on, or what show we didnt see, so the following year I make a list of the things we missed from the previous year and hit those first. You can't see and do everything that Disney has to offer in a 8 day stay, Iam convinced of that, so I don't even try anymore. I would be ready for the nut house if I tryed:crazy2: Have fun and relax!!!

First off just relax.Take a Deep breath in......and now let it out.lol

Okay,Maybe on your way down here to good Ol' Florida plan your trip.It's a fun thing to do and it keep's your mind off of the longg drive or flight.Once your plan is done put it in your fanny pack or pocketbook or whatever and so when you go to the parks you know exactly what you want to do:)

Commandos unite! We should all go on vacation together and leave our clueless families dawdling in the gift shop, eating the worst food, and missing out on the most important attractions, while we, in our infinite wisdom, bypass the lines, slip into shows only seconds before the door closes, and see the fireworks from the most perfect spot, a memory to cherish for a lifetime. Or at least until the next morning when we rush around again, whichever comes first.

Basically, you are not going to change who you are between now and when your vacation starts, so don't even think about it.

Some sense of strategy is good. After all, it doesn't seem to make much sense to spend your first morning at MK hopping from Hall of Presidents to the Enchanted Tikki Room to Carousel of Progress, does it?

But just remember that every step in the wrong direction is actually two steps because you have to backtrack. And your feet and family will not easily forgive you.

Try to keep your walking between attractions to a minimum. Despite my highly advance brain, here are the blunders I made this past week:

I told myself I wasn't going to rush around. But it was threatening rain at MGM, so I thought we should hit the 'outdoor' stuff after TofT and RnR. We crossed the park to do the backlot tour. Bad idea. It's a lot of extra walking, you are covered throughout the tour, and what's a little rain, anyway?

I forgot about the parade and I tried to cross MK at the wrong time. I felt like I flunked kindergarten. So then I tried to go around the long way. What was I thinking?

Crossing the main plaza at EPCOT from Soarin' to Mission Space is a bear. Do not rush around here, the distances (even limited to Future World) are enormous. No strategy is worth it. Do not cross the plaza more than once. We did it three times.

Want to know when I didn't feel stress on my vacation? When I went to Universal Studios, because I didn't care if I missed half the park. If there's a lesson in there somewhere, please tell me.

I plan what park I'm going to, where we are going to eat lunch and dinner and then have fun. I spend my time learning as much as I can and I do print a tips for each park paper that I print off for each day I'm going to a park. It includes Hidden Mickey's, and things we want to look for on our trip.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter