• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

How to add 2 people to reservation?

bekkiz

DIS Veteran
We have a party of 6 booked at Ohana's at 8:30 one morning, and my aunt and uncle have decided to join us. There are no reservations for 8 available at a good time, nor is there a party of 2 available at the same time. Will they turn us away if they just show up?

The way the ADR system works, in order to add people to an existing reservation you effectively have to cancel what you have and book a new ADR. The closer in time that you get to your arrival date, the more difficult that becomes, especially at the more popular places. Best to show up with the extra people and a pleasant attitude. Hope for the best, expect the worst, and have a backup plan, such as a table for 2 at Kona. However with the new(ish) cancellation policy, if you book a different restaurant as a backup and they are able to seat you all together at 'Ohana, you will be charged a no-show fee at restaurant #2, so you have to decide how badly you want it. If you do show up with extra people, most of the time you will be met with a "let me see what I can do" attitude by the host/hostess. They are not trained to turn away revenue. Since the ADR system is not a true reservation system where table #57 which seats 6 people is sitting vacant awaiting your arrival and is instead a system whereby you get seated at any table for 6 once one to clears out, often times they just convert you to a group of 8 waiting for the next available table of that size. But you get placed behind other groups of 8 arriving around the same time. It could entail a longer wait. Or not. Or they simply might not be able to accommodate you at all. You don't know until you try.

We have a party of 6 booked at Ohana's at 8:30 one morning, and my aunt and uncle have decided to join us. There are no reservations for 8 available at a good time, nor is there a party of 2 available at the same time. Will they turn us away if they just show up?

They may. It depends on how busy the restaurant is at the time. If they can't be seated with you, will everyone be ok with that? You can't decide at that time to walk away from you ADR, you would still be charged the no show fee.

MY STOCK RESPONSE TO THE QUESTION OF AN EXTRA PERSON or EXTRA PEOPLE:

1) Disney is getting wise to the "but, they decided to join us" or "I miscounted".
2) People can't always get the ADR they want.
3) So, they under-count to get a table.
4) Then, they show up with "unexpected" additional people.
5) In a team meeting, CM's have been told to warn guests against this.
6) If there is room, WDW will not turn away revenue.
7) But, if busy, they will turn away the additions.
8) Go ahead and arrive with the extras, if you like.
9) Just be prepared to have someone stand around while you eat.
10) I have heard explanations such as . . .
. . . "but, Aunt Suzy decided to join us and we need an extra seat"
. . . "but, two friends from off-site decided to join us and we need a extra seats"
. . . "but, brother-in-law decided to join us and we need an extra seat"
. . . "but, the entire Boy Scout Troop decided to join us and we need 14 extra sets"
. . . "but, my baby is so small that I didn't count her in the number of eaters"

NOTE1: It is far easier going from an odd-number to an even number, such
as from 7-people to 8-people, adding a person to an even number of diners,
such as going from 6-people to 7-people. Adding odd person can mean adding
a table, and this might not be possible. Going from an odd-to-even might only
mean adding a chair or using an empty seat. So, if going from even-to-odd,
you might not get the extra person a seat. It is always better to get another
ADR with the proper people-count.

NOTE2: Frequently a party-of-two will try to add a third person at the podium.
This can be risky, because many eateries do have tables-for-two. If the guest
was slated for one of these, there simply might not be a table available to seat
the third person - even if an infant. The extra chair location might extend into
an aisle and block access for other guests or Servers.

MY STOCK RESPONSE TO THE QUESTION OF AN EXTRA PERSON or EXTRA PEOPLE:

1) Disney is getting wise to the "but, they decided to join us" or "I miscounted".
2) People can't always get the ADR they want.
3) So, they under-count to get a table.
4) Then, they show up with "unexpected" additional people.
5) In a team meeting, CM's have been told to warn guests against this.
6) If there is room, WDW will not turn away revenue.
7) But, if busy, they will turn away the additions.
8) Go ahead and arrive with the extras, if you like.
9) Just be prepared to have someone stand around while you eat.
10) I have heard explanations such as . . .
. . . "but, Aunt Suzy decided to join us and we need an extra seat"
. . . "but, two friends from off-site decided to join us and we need a extra seats"
. . . "but, brother-in-law decided to join us and we need an extra seat"
. . . "but, the entire Boy Scout Troop decided to join us and we need 14 extra sets"
. . . "but, my baby is so small that I didn't count her in the number of eaters"

NOTE1: It is far easier going from an odd-number to an even number, such
as from 7-people to 8-people, adding a person to an even number of diners,
such as going from 6-people to 7-people. Adding odd person can mean adding
a table, and this might not be possible. Going from an odd-to-even might only
mean adding a chair or using an empty seat. So, if going from even-to-odd,
you might not get the extra person a seat. It is always better to get another
ADR with the proper people-count.

NOTE2: Frequently a party-of-two will try to add a third person at the podium.
This can be risky, because many eateries do have tables-for-two. If the guest
was slated for one of these, there simply might not be a table available to seat
the third person - even if an infant. The extra chair location might extend into
an aisle and block access for other guests or Servers.

:rotfl: Disney is "getting wise" to it? Sounds like conspiracy theory paranoia to me. What Disney needs to get wise to is that it's not easy, convenient, or enjoyable to reserve everything 6 months out, even for a large group. Plans change all the time. I'm guessing that, for the majority of the time, people really did "just decide to join <us>." But for some reason you love to assume people have sneaky ulterior motives.

:rotfl: Disney is "getting wise" to it? Sounds like conspiracy theory paranoia to me. What Disney needs to get wise to is that it's not easy, convenient, or enjoyable to reserve everything 6 months out, even for a large group. Plans change all the time. I'm guessing that, for the majority of the time, people really did "just decide to join <us>." But for some reason you love to assume people have sneaky ulterior motives.

I am far from being a Disney apologist, and I do agree it is a real pain to have to plan ADR's six months out. But with that said, the restaurants in Disney are very busy and whether someone has sneaky intentions or whether it truly is a last minute change, if the restaurant is full there is nothing that can be done. To accommodate a last minute addition may come at the cost of someone having to wait much longer past their ADR. Do I like planning so far in advance? No. Do I wish I could have more last minute flexibility? Yes. But it is what it is.

I am far from being a Disney apologist, and I do agree it is a real pain to have to plan ADR's six months out. But with that said, the restaurants in Disney are very busy and whether someone has sneaky intentions or whether it truly is a last minute change, if the restaurant is full there is nothing that can be done. To accommodate a last minute addition may come at the cost of someone having to wait much longer past their ADR. Do I like planning so far in advance? No. Do I wish I could have more last minute flexibility? Yes. But it is what it is.

No, I totally agree that people should be aware of the options or issues that could arise from this because of Disney's policies. It is true that the party may or may not be accommodated.

However I take issue with the extremely accusatory post I responded to that people pretty much only do this because they are trying to circumvent the policy. It's simply not true.

The OP wanted to know what could happen because her aunt and uncle decided they wanted to join her. What she got was a nasty "stock response" about how Disney is wise to her trick. :confused:

What the OP should know is that she should phone to try to make this kind of change to the reservation because online isn't always the easiest way to do it.

No, I totally agree that people should be aware of the options or issues that could arise from this because of Disney's policies. It is true that the party may or may not be accommodated.

However I take issue with the extremely accusatory post I responded to that people pretty much only do this because they are trying to circumvent the policy. It's simply not true.

The OP wanted to know what could happen because her aunt and uncle decided they wanted to join her. What she got was a nasty "stock response" about how Disney is wise to her trick. :confused:

What the OP should know is that she should phone to try to make this kind of change to the reservation because online isn't always the easiest way to do it.

Have you been on the boards for long? People admitting that they book tables for fewer people than they have happens pretty darned often. So yes, for some it is a trick that Disney has gotten wise to.

The poster you are so upset with did not accuse the OP of anything. Just stated what has been brought up in meetings. They will seat extra guests if at all possible. But they have been told, as Cast Members, to warn people against showing up with extras. I didn't find it at all nasty.

I made an ADR for a breakfast for 7 on a specific morning. The CM only put 5. I called back and they said sorry, and said they added the 2. When I checked my MDE, she did it for two days later! So I called again and the next CM said there was no availability! So I have called everyday and checked for our trip in June!!!! Very frustrated

Reminds me of this past New Year's Eve - at the 180 day mark, I made reservations at Chef Mickey’s for 6 of us. About 2 months before our reservation, I tried to add two more to the reservation and of course, they weren't able to do it. I kind of figured they wouldn't be able to do it with it being New Year's Eve and all, but it was worth a shot.

We show up that night for our reservation and they go ahead and seat our party of 6 at a table of 8! Two empty chairs that could have been used!

I don't think Rusty was accusing the OP of fishy business. It was an honest question and he gave a direct answer.

The policies were put in place and the reservation system has been completely changed because people were manipulating the system to get what they wanted. Obviously it's become a problem or else they wouldn't have had to change it so much. It's natural to think the best of people and there really are more good, honest people out there but the dishonest ones ruin it for the rest of us.

The first thing you should do is call and ask for Dining. Tell them you have a reservation and would like to add two people. I have done this several times. If they can they will add them and you don't have to worry about what will happen when you show up.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter