How the uninformed views a deluxe

There's clearly a lot of hate for international travelers on this thread, so being from England I'm going to throw in my opinion on this matter.

No hate here for international travelers. More shaking my head for any traveler who goes on Holiday blind. Those of us on these boards don't save "the hate" (only kidding) for foreigners, we are equal opportunity when it comes to giving opinions. As far as quality of food (Chef Mickey's) and "Deluxe Hotels" I think most will agree with your assessments. Its too bad that the Christmas Dinner was spent in the room, however I would be surprised if he had gone to the Front Desk and they wouldn't have been able to assist him in someway. While the boards can be brutal, I know I have and I'm sure others have assisted those travelers that look lost or are having language barrier issues. With Americans lack of multiple language skills like so many people from Europe I'm sure it is a shock when traveling from over seas.

A few points to take from this thread:
- Use a TA who knows Disney if you are a new visitor.
- Research where you are going
- Ask for assistance.

I disagree with the notion this guy as at fault for not doing his research. There is a difference between checking local weather ( do i nedd a jacket in orlando during summer months or local currency) vs. having to join web forums and spend hours to learn that at disney ADRs are needed for top restaraunts including those in your own deluxe hotels. And here disney is at fault. i highly doubt if I were to call today and book an atrium, MK view, club level for a grand a night for May, no one is going to tell me up front forget about getting a CM breakfast Ressie for your stay.

I love to read reviews!! I write reviews all the time and love hearing how others view a restaurant or hotel.

It was this review that really caught my attention. It's about a particular deluxe hotel at Disney. I'm switching up details to disguise the author, but suffice it to say they felt very disappointed and I have to admit, I felt compassion as I read along. I truly had not realized just how different our disney experiences can be. Without the research, one can step onsite and not partake in much of the magic. This poor fella came during Christmas and didn't have dinner reservations. Anywhere. He also didn't know he would be standing in line for rides. I was surprised when I read this but I did wonder if there is anything in the literature he would have received that does say that ADRs are 100% necessary during holidays. I am sure the lit DOES recommend making reservations but maybe he didn't read it. And sir, you CAN be a VIP. This is an example of what can happen when you don't do the research.

Read along and see how far one can depart from all of the knowledge we have acquired.

I was really disappointed about this Hotel being a deluxe Disney hotel.
Not only was it very expensive but the rooms were too small.
I was expecting much more Disney decorated rooms or the possibility to get theme rooms.

Christmas time everything was fully booked... also restaurants. We had to have our Christmas dinner in the room. The Hotel should tell before how it is and recommend their guests to reserve a restaurant.

Also they should inform you before about restaurants and attractions in the park, for example dining with the beast in Be Our Guest has 6 months wait to get a reservations.

I think you should be able to buy as a Hotel Guest a VIP card for all attractions, now you can get only 2 or 3 fast passes a day, again not fair for those who spent money on a nice hotel and have to stand in line most of the day.

The food is terrible for this kind of standard Hotel, poor breakfast for European people, no cold cuts like ham or salami or a decent cheese, for kids you have American pancakes with all kind of toppings and even sweets, not very healthy, my children had more sugar in the time we stayed there than they get in the whole year at home.

Breakfast with the Disney figures like Tigger etc, it's a must when you have kids but they only stay a very little tiny moment at your table and if you're kids don't speak English they stay less.

Restaurant food poor as well, I was expecting much better quality from Disney.

There is a pool outside the water was ice cold don't understand they don't put a warming system in, no children playground which I found unbelievable being a Disney Hotel ( a pirate boat climbing frame with pirate of the Caribbean statues) no Disney figure statues in the Hotel or gardens.

Disney you could make this Hotel so much nicer and unforgettable only using a bit more imagination.
Make sure you get a room overlooking the Magic Kingdom Park if you want to use this Hotel.
I will not come back to this Hotel

I did read that review recently (probably about a hotel I'll be visiting in April) and remember being a little amused by it thinking to myself that this person did not know a single thing about WDW, obviously did not book through TA and definitely did not do the homeworks before coming to WDW.

Why wouldn't a place that KNOWS they have tons of international visitors make the effort to have something they might like to eat?

Walt Disney World has tons of restaurants, Epcot having the best variety.

I'm a super picky eater and I can't imagine visitors can't find something they like anywhere in Disney. They can't add fat, sugar or salt to fresh fruits and veggies. ;)

When I go on vacation, I plan in advance. If your diet is that important, you'll do your homeworks.

I disagree with the notion this guy as at fault for not doing his research. There is a difference between checking local weather ( do i nedd a jacket in orlando during summer months or local currency) vs. having to join web forums and spend hours to learn that at disney ADRs are needed for top restaraunts including those in your own deluxe hotels. And here disney is at fault. i highly doubt if I were to call today and book an atrium, MK view, club level for a grand a night for May, no one is going to tell me up front forget about getting a CM breakfast Ressie for your stay.
I booked through a TA, but I still got information from WDW. I got a little magnet telling me when to book things.

Both times I booked trips within 180 days, the telephone person transferred me to dining to make ADRs. When I called about CRT this go around, the phone person specifically asked me about BOG (I already did it online).

While I do feel that Disney requires extensive planning, a quick look at travel documents and trip advisor would have helped a little.

The first time I booked, I had not been on forums before and it took me just a few minutes on the Disney website to figure out that the value resort were the "disney themed" (and not the moderate nor deluxe) and that it was possible (and recommended) to book restaurant 6 months in advance.

If you spend 30-60 minutes on the website, you'll get the most important informations you need to know. If you know that 1+1=2, you'll realize that if a theme park suggest Fast Pass, it's because lines can be long.

And every single time I call to book or change hotel reservations, I am asked by the CM if I need help with restaurant or ticket reservations before I hang up.

I don't mean to be mean but I think that person was a bit lazy.

Not a ton of sympathy here either. If he managed to find this forum after his trip, he could have done so before. There are plenty of pictures of the rooms at any Disney resort online with a quick Google search "Grand Floridian Rooms," or "Pop Century Rooms." While I do like to see a sparkle or 2 of Mickey in the room, I would assume that the theme would be more in your face at values and a little less at moderates, and barely there at deluxes, where I expect luxury over theming. As far as the dining? Did he ask any hotel concierge? I'd think even on Christmas Day, there must have been SOME reservation, SOMEWHERE. And as for the line waiting.....it's Walt Disney World. You wait in lines. Period. I'm not a fan of FP+ myself (though I've learned how to use it to my advantage), but I expect to wait in at least some lines at some point, and though we usually stay deluxe, I still cringe at the thought of guests at a deluxe having to wait in line for a shorter period of time. How elitist! For me, staying deluxe means your resort has a great location, bigger rooms, better appointments (bedding, toiletries etc.), and finer dining/drinking opportunities. That's all, and that's what you pay for.
Anyway, just my 2 cents.

I do agree though it was general lack of common sense to not know/ expect any park, major atrraction will have long lines. Heck I didnt need " research " to know that going up the Eiffel tower would most likely require long lines.

i was at disney world in november for a business trip (for a disney project). i stayed at the dolphin and my meetings were all in the yacht club, so i literally had 3 hours at the magic kingdom and one night at epcot. and before that i hadn't been to disney world since 1977, when i was 8. in those 3 hours at mk, i learned several things: to pick a time of year when the parks would be relatively uncrowded, to expect to stand on lines for a long time (i can't get down with the fastpass system that disney has in place), to stay at a monorail hotel if you're not into buses and to book specialty restaurant reservations far in advance, and to not expect the food to be spectacular (which is also something that my disney parks colleagues tipped me off about). so, i had some baseline expectations when i started planning a trip back to the park for my family (myself, my husband and our 8 year old son) in january. we'll be there first week of may.

we booked a garden room at the polynesian that i'm sure i will consider very overpriced for what it is, but the price is justifiable to me because the hotel just refurbished its pool area and we'll be on the monorail. plus the nightly water parade and fireworks, if we just want to chill out on property our first night.

i booked us reservations for the spirit of aloha show our first night, dinner reservations at jiko at akl on our last night and breakfast at kona cafe the morning we check out. so, yes- i booked reservations 4 months in advance, even though early may is supposed to be a quiet period. i figure one night we can take our chances at dining without reservations in epcot and maybe food court food at the hotel or espn at boardwalk another night.

we're only there for 3 days worth of park hopping (with our first day spent at the hotel pool), but our main focus will be magic kingdom and animal kingdom, so i think we'll be okay. i probably should do more research on if we'll regret not spending much (if any) time at hollywood studios and downtown disney.

i feel like you kinds have to know what to expect going in- disney world is too big and to expensive to just assume it will all sort itself out, especially if you're traveling with kids, who naturally have their own set of expectations.

I checked out his post on TA and found he had reviewed some places in WDW in 2010 or 2012. So it wasn't a first time thing for him.

I find it funny the guy thought you wouldn't need a reservation on the largest American holiday. He did zero research which is evident. Imagine going overseas to another nation and litterely doing no planning beyond having a train ticket and hotel room. No sympathy for the lazy, and ill informed.

I don't think anyone here is expressing hatred for international travelers, most are just frustrated by his unfair bad review that's due in large part to his lack of even the smallest bit of research. Are Disney hotel prices (as well as everything else) ridiculous? Absolutely! But it's what you get. I'm not expecting Four Seasons or Waldorf Astoria treatment at a Disney hotel. But, that's because I've done my research. Same with the food. You even said yourself that hotels in England serve much better breakfasts. Yes, they do. Because it's in England and you're getting an English breakfast. Disney World is in the US and what you get for breakfast is our style of breakfast. Yes, we have many cultures here, but Disney isn't the place to experience all those different cultures. Heck, I'm from NYC. I don't go anywhere else in the country and expect to even get a good bagel. I expect to eat according to local culture and traditions, including the culture and tradition of Disney when I'm there.
Disney promotes and markets deluxe hotels as that and they aren't. Doing research is only part of it, if you ask Disney if GF is worth it being a deluxe, they will sing all the praises. Getting on you the 'just' English hotels and breakfasts. Any decent hotel will ask you what you want and make it for you, that includes American style breakfasts. Losing the point there a little bit, but nevermind. Disney isn't the place to experience different cultures. Someone better dig up Walt and make sure they close down EPCOT ASAP, because they really do have me fooled with that one!!!lmao

I have been to several countries in Europe, and I remember breakfast was always included (count me as an American who will take meats and cheese over waffles and pancakes for breakfast). That is an expectation. In the US, generally it is the traveler class of hotel brand (think "_____ Inn/Suits") that includes breakfast, whereas the higher-end within a brand does not. A lot of Americans don't realize this, so I am not surprised European travelers are unaware.

Last time we crossed the pond we stayed in the Four Seasons in London, which is quite the definition of deluxe. We did not get dinner and spa treatments included, so I'm side-eying the statement above. The only "all inclusives" I have ever stayed in were in beach resorts and the only ones I remember including spa treatments were spa destinations.

Clearly when i used the term many good ones, i meant every single hotel or resort outside of America. Every last one. I might only be English, but i understand the language.

I have stayed in numerous hotels in England where as part of my holiday there have been all meals included and spa treatments, i can obviously only speak from that experience.

It kinda makes me sad to read the comments on people who say that the guy should be upset about service, but should understand that the deluxes aren't "deluxe" as they could be.
As a person who works in a 5 star hotel, it makes me upset to think that disney are loosing points for service, particularly in a "deluxe" hotel. I love working in the hotel i work in, and it makes me happy to greet people and talk to guests and help them plan their days or fix their problems and its such a shame that it is evident that cast members at disney are not feeling the same way. It really speaks poorly on the Disney corporation in my eyes. Disney should focus on getting back to that 5 star service and inspiring their cast members to make peoples days. Perhaps its the little pay? i don't know. It just makes me sad.
I have never been to Disney World but this makes me a little worried to think that this may be the case. It is nothing that would ruin a holiday though.

I still love disney, and i always will. Just something observed from the posts above.

I adore Disney and although my opinions may differ from a lot, i have experienced wonderful times at Disney, but like anything i have had some downs. Do not let negative comments pave any ideas. Staying moderate (and value, so i've heard) at Disney is wonderful, getting deals like free dining and extra magic hours, transport etc does make for a really special holiday.

Almost every single cast member i've had the pleasure of interacting with have been fantastic, I don't believe it has anything to do with the service they are providing for the most part, its the actual properties, foods and costs to us as customers that take the deluxe resorts down a notch.

I rarely go back and read entire multi-page threads, but I found this one exceedingly interesting. One thing, unrelated, that seems to come out of this is something I have long thought... that the amenities you get at deluxe hotels at WDW does not justify the nearly tripling of the price of moderate. Over and over people keep saying that a deluxe at Disney is not equal to a deluxe out in the real world and that people expecting it to will be disappointed. So what more do folks get exactly? A hot tub, a little more room and a few other tacit upgrades. I have to imagine the OP would have felt in general less put out if he had been paying 170 a night rather than the 600 dollar figure being thrown around.

I rarely go back and read entire multi-page threads, but I found this one exceedingly interesting. One thing, unrelated, that seems to come out of this is something I have long thought... that the amenities you get at deluxe hotels at WDW does not justify the nearly tripling of the price of moderate. Over and over people keep saying that a deluxe at Disney is not equal to a deluxe out in the real world and that people expecting it to will be disappointed. So what more do folks get exactly? A hot tub, a little more room and a few other tacit upgrades. I have to imagine the OP would have felt in general less put out if he had been paying 170 a night rather than the 600 dollar figure being thrown around.

Larger rooms, indoor corridors, and the most useful- easy access to at least one theme park. Location, location, location!

Larger rooms, indoor corridors, and the most useful- easy access to at least one theme park. Location, location, location!

Larger Rooms... acknowledged. Indoor Corridors... would fall (for me) into the realm of a tacit upgrade. Easy access to a Park... in some cases yes, in some no... for instance, not so much for AKL or OKW. But I do I agree on location advantage to an extent. For instance, I would, if staying on cash, definitely choose a Boardwalk area hotel if I went deluxe. You can see in my signature I stay at OKW sometimes. This is on points from a generous family member. :)

Before I knew about this board, I ordered the Disney vacation CD (2003). I called WDW ad nauseum, asked questions of each agent, and looked for Disney maps on line. Wasn't rocket science.

When I took my first vacation out of the country, I did research...how much to tip, weather, areas around where I was staying...lot of time but worth it.

Don't really feel bad for this guy.

Disney isn't the place to experience different cultures. Someone better dig up Walt and make sure they close down EPCOT ASAP, because they really do have me fooled with that one!!!lmao

If you think Epcot is a real representation of a cultural experience in any of those countries, you're fooling yourself. It's a taste of the best and most touristy parts of those countries, including the US.

don't know where you are getting "hate for international travelers." Maybe it is fine for someone to come to the US and complain because they don't get the breakfast they are used to getting at home, whereas conversely it is a bad thing for an American to go abroad and complain because they don't get the breakfast they are used to getting at home. Had he done his research he would have known what they serve for breakfast and where he could get a breakfast more to his liking.

It's really a matter of understanding that Disney resorts are different from the real world. At Disney you are not paying for very high end amenities when you pick a deluxe resort. You are paying for a few higher amenities plus ease of access to one or more parks - it's almost entirely about the location. They don't have to keep up with the competition in this area, because there isn't any competition. You can go over and stay at the Four Seasons now if you aren't thrilled with the level of service at the Grand Floridian, but you would still have to drive, grab a taxi or take a bus to all the parks.

At least the reviews may let future readers know that if they are expecting high end amenities maybe they should try the Four Seasons instead.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter