• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

How strict is the potty trained rule for tge kids club?

Tink113

DIS Veteran
We have a 2.5 almost 3 yr old DS sailing with us soon. We have introduced the potty, but he is not potty trained. We have sailed before with him when he was younger and the nursery was a good fit for him then, but I feel like it's way too babyish for him now. I would love to be able to take him to the kids club and maybe have them page me if he needs to be changed? Or change him before he goes and only drop him off for an hour? Th

I don't have any experience personally, but I've seen many posts on here that say there is no flexibility at all for dropping him off. However, it seems that they have a new "open house" option which would allow you to go with him at certain times to experience the clubs. Hope this helps some! Maybe someone else can elaborate.

I'm in the same boat. Haven't been there (yet), but from my all day DISboard lurking.. it seems they have to be fully potty trained - able to use the bathroom COMPLETELY independently in order to go to the club on their own.

We have a 2.5 almost 3 yr old DS sailing with us soon. We have introduced the potty, but he is not potty trained. We have sailed before with him when he was younger and the nursery was a good fit for him then, but I feel like it's way too babyish for him now. I would love to be able to take him to the kids club and maybe have them page me if he needs to be changed? Or change him before he goes and only drop him off for an hour? Th

Like PP, I have no experience, but, from what I've read here, there really is no flexibility. In order to use the Oceaneers Club/Lab the child must be fully potty trained (able to recognize that he needs to use the toilet, undress, use toilet, redress and wash hands all without assistance). Also, diapers and/or pullups are not allowed in Oceaneers Club/Lab.

As noted, the Club/Lab has Open House once or twice daily in either the Club or Lab where you may take your child into the club in order to use the facility. You must remain with your child.

We sailed on the dream last September with my then 2 1/2 year old. They will not let them come to the kids club unless they are FULLY potty trained. You can take them in during open house but that's the only time.

My daughter is fully potty trained and 99% of the time can go by herself. With that being said, I am still going to stop in the kids club every hour or two to take her to the potty. Honestly though I don't see her staying longer than 2 hours, but who knows! Disney said its fine if I want to stop in and take her but we cannot use the kids club restroom. Its strictly for the children, no parents or cast members allowed.

My son had completely potty trained the week before the cruise, and we didn't realize that they won't help the children in the bathroom. It is very difficult for a 3 yr old to wipe and dress themselves. On the last day, my son was in the bathroom crying because he needed someone to help him. They expect the child to be completely independent, but they will enter the bathroom in twos to assist a child if they have no other choice. We didn't know that pullups weren't allowed even though he was potty trained. We sent him to the kids club with one on just as a precaution since he had never had an accident but he was so newly trained. When they realized that he had one on, they instructed us that he had to leave and couldn't return with one.

My son had completely potty trained the week before the cruise, and we didn't realize that they won't help the children in the bathroom. It is very difficult for a 3 yr old to wipe and dress themselves. On the last day, my son was in the bathroom crying because he needed someone to help him. They expect the child to be completely independent, but they will enter the bathroom in twos to assist a child if they have no other choice. We didn't know that pullups weren't allowed even though he was potty trained. We sent him to the kids club with one on just as a precaution since he had never had an accident but he was so newly trained. When they realized that he had one on, they instructed us that he had to leave and couldn't return with one.

While I understand this rule, your story makes me sad for your baby. awwww...

I too will make sure to pull my boys out at their .. cough..cough.. #2 time. I mean, they potty independently but they aren't expert wipers yet. :blush:

I was just on the Fantasy for a 7 day and my 3 yo newly potty trained son wore a lull up the whole time (no accidents)! None of the CMs even mentioned it.....maybe they just didn't notice?

When our Daughter was 3 and newly potty trained we made sure that we came to the kids clubs frequently and helped her to the bathroom prior to returning her. It was a bit more work but made for a more enjoyable time for her.

My kids are completely different out first cruise my DD had just turned 4 (2 days prior) she was potties trained at 18months, could do everything by herself. No worries when we on DCL.
We wanted to do DCL this past NOV but I was afraid when I booked our vacation our son at the time was almost 3 was not completely train no 1 accidents but 2 was a different story. So I decided to do WDW instead.
He is 4 now we plan a 7 night in DEC but at home he comes out stark naked from the bathroom and dances... (Only when he does number 2, number 1 he keeps his clothes on) confused..... Anyways I hope almost being 5 when we sail I don't have a problem...

Oh what I meant to say is my son was completely potties trained 6 months before we went to WDW, but at the time I was booking and planning I had no idea if he would... Now to get his streaking under control lol....

When DD was 3 they made it very clear that no pullups were allowed in the club during the day. The only time they made the exception was at night when the kids would lie down on mats to watch a movie in their PJs because they probably were going to fall asleep.

on the cruise we were on a child had an accident, we heard them tell the parents if the child had one more they could no longer come to the kids club for the rest of the cruise.

We were on the Dream in November. This was our experience.

When I called DCL prior to the cruise, they told me that the children had to be fully potty trained and no pull-ups in the club. My son was mostly potty trained, but I wanted him in a pull-up for insurance. He was also over 3 years old.

When we went to the first open house when we boarded, I asked the cast members. They said that my son would be allowed in the club in a pull-up, but not a diaper. They even said that they would change him if he had an accident.

They may have offered this because there were not as many kids on our cruise. It's possible that for a fuller cruise, you might get a different response. Also, since I think you said that your child would still be under 3, they may give a different response.

I have experience with this. My son who was 3 weeks short of 3 on our cruise. Absolutely no pull ups for sanitary reasons, child must be an independent pottier. No parents allowed in kids restrooms. If child is found with pull up, he will be ask to leave. If child has an accident they can ask you not to bring them back. Take your child in during open house hours. It is a tough age to cruise at the almost 3 year old age, to old for nursery to young for kids club.

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards

We were on the Dream in November. This was our experience.

When I called DCL prior to the cruise, they told me that the children had to be fully potty trained and no pull-ups in the club. My son was mostly potty trained, but I wanted him in a pull-up for insurance. He was also over 3 years old.

When we went to the first open house when we boarded, I asked the cast members. They said that my son would be allowed in the club in a pull-up, but not a diaper. They even said that they would change him if he had an accident.

They may have offered this because there were not as many kids on our cruise. It's possible that for a fuller cruise, you might get a different response. Also, since I think you said that your child would still be under 3, they may give a different response.

This was my experience on the Fantasy.

My son wasn't potty trained (at all) and we took him to open house on the first day. We had already scheduled nursery time but they watched him play and asked why he didn't have a band thing on yet. I explained the situation and she said if we'd like, she'd call the nursery and move him to club. She said as long as we had the pull-ups, we could send him in one, and they'd page us. She did say they'd change him if we went to Palo/Remy, just to tell them and they'd note it.

Now, that doesn't mean we didn't get some rude CMs because he was in a Pull-Up. One was particularly nasty. I explained what had transpired (and she must have looked it up) and she just shook her head and sighed and said fine, she'd take care of it.

He didn't stay very long, and they only had to text us a few times to come change him.

It is most definitely not the "rule" though. I have to wonder if you have more luck catching the club workers at an open house! :lmao:

When we were on the Magic, they would let us bring our 2 1/2 year old in to play on the slide whenever she wanted so long as we stayed with her. If we wanted to leave her, we had to use the nursery.

adamsclan said:
When we were on the Magic, they would let us bring our 2 1/2 year old in to play on the slide whenever she wanted so long as we stayed with her. If we wanted to leave her, we had to use the nursery.

This rule has changed. Now there is Secured Programming and Open House. During Secured Programming, only registered children and CMs can be in the club (sometimes it's one, sometimes it's both). During Open House, anyone can come and go as they please and children must be supervised. There will only be one club or none in Open House mode at any given time except for embarkation day before 6pm.

The rule is in place due to sanitary conditions and the caution of creating a health hazard by contamination. If a kid had a no2 accident, they'll have to move all the kids away and sanitize the area, an this can big a big issue, specially in the bigger areas of club and if there are lot of kids enrolled.

Pullups can be considered more of an 'accident precaution' and hence the flexibility of CMs on kids with them.

Similar rule regarding the use of the pools. No diapers allowed in there, however accidents do tend to happen and then the pool is close down for a few hours as they need to drain it, sanitize and refill it.

My .02...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter