How strict is the DxDP for a 2 year old?

kghickey

Earning My Ears
21 days and counting to our trip - still have some questions for people who have experienced the DxDP with children under 3.

Our boys are 6 and 2. 2 yo doesn't eat much. I understand he can eat off our plates or off buffets for free. I don't like the idea of buying him a separate child's meal for $8+ becasue he just won't eat it.

Has anyone had the experience that they will bring out plain pasta or something simple and not charge us for it?

Tutto Italia offers a complimentary meal for children under 3. Last year my daughter was asleep in her stroller while we were having dinner. The waitress brought me a giant serving of spaghetti and meatballs to go, at no charge.

21 days and counting to our trip - still have some questions for people who have experienced the DxDP with children under 3.

Our boys are 6 and 2. 2 yo doesn't eat much. I understand he can eat off our plates or off buffets for free. I don't like the idea of buying him a separate child's meal for $8+ becasue he just won't eat it.

Has anyone had the experience that they will bring out plain pasta or something simple and not charge us for it?

I'll be in the same boat. I know we won't order apps and/or dessert for all 3 of the adults, so I wish we could use that money towards a kids meal for the 2 1/2 yr old! I think it is probably pretty cheeky to ask though!

Each place is different. We took our 2 and 6 YO girls in December and we were on the deluxe plan. Some places (Ohana is one I can remember) brought "kid" food for both and didn't charge us for the 2YO. At most places, they did offer free drinks for her. We did a lot of buffets and family style places. There was no way we were paying $8 for another kids plate, but I did buy my 2YO's favorite side dish (mashed potatoes) a couple of times OOP when I didn't order something I thought she would eat. She also shared with my 6YO several times because some of the portion sizes were huge at some restaurants.

Hopefully, you'll get great waitstaff who will ask if you want something for the little one and offer it at no charge. I know it happened a couple of times, but Ohana is the only place I remember for absolute certain.

Have a great time on your trip!

We did this last year. Only once did we order and pay OOP for our son. We did do a lot of family style and buffet meals. CRT gave him noodles at no charge.

Thanks so much - great input from everyone. We've been to DW before for a few days, just never stayed on-site and for a whole week so this is our first time with the Dining Plan. Very excited and thinking about logistics.

Many of the restaurants listed are family style ('Ohana) or fixed price, fixed menu (CRT) restaurants, where kids under 3 eat free anyway.

At an a la carte restaurant you may have to pay to order your infant a meal, if they do not offer you a complimentary meal for the child. They're under no obligation to do so, as there is no rule that an a la carte restaurant must do this. If you want a special dish prepared for the infant you can always ask, but there's no guarantee you won't be charged for it if the restaurant is not a buffet, family style or fixed price, fixed menu.

I would not count on any freebies. When my youngest was 2 1/2, we always ordered him at least his own milk, and some places even charged us for that. There was always enough food to share with him, but outside of buffets, no one offered and we did not ask for anything we didn't expect to pay for.

I really wouldn't worry, there is more than enough food to share.

We did the DDP in 07 with our then 2 year old DGD. Ate at Cinderella's table for breakfast,Crystal Place, Sci-Fi drive in, Boma and Garden Grill. All did not charge anything for her drinks, Graden grill even brought her a special desert which she loved(ice cream with sprinkles). The policy we were told about is if their under three they eat free. This is for disney owed restaurants as far as I know.
If you check out some of the other sites like allears.com they explain it all.

Enjoy!!:banana:
Fuzzy164

We always got free drinks for our little one, but I have heard some have not. We did lots of family style and buffets. We were on DxDp, though, so we had apps to share, also at regular TS meals.

"Cinderella's table for breakfast,Crystal Place, Sci-Fi drive in, Boma and Garden Grill..."

Just wanted to point out that all of these places except Sci-Fi are buffets/family-style restaurants where your child would eat free anyway.

If you are concerned about the amount of food and want to ensure you don't have to pay out of pocket I would make sure to schedule mostly buffets/family style meals.

We did the DDP in 07 with our then 2 year old DGD. Ate at Cinderella's table for breakfast,Crystal Place, Sci-Fi drive in, Boma and Garden Grill. All did not charge anything for her drinks, Graden grill even brought her a special desert which she loved(ice cream with sprinkles). The policy we were told about is if their under three they eat free. This is for disney owed restaurants as far as I know.
If you check out some of the other sites like allears.com they explain it all.

Enjoy!!:banana:
Fuzzy164

The only restaurant you list that is not a buffet, family style, or fixed price is Sci Fi.

As mentioned, Disney's policy is that kids under 3 eat free at any buffet, family style, or fixed price, fixed menu restaurant.

This is not the case with a la carte or counter service restaurants, Disney-owned or not. You may or may not be asked to pay for a meal and/or beverage for your infant at those locations.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter