• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

How Strict is Disney's Age Policy for Kids Program?

erineab

Mouseketeer
We will be travelling from March 3-10th onboard the Magic. My daughter, who is fully toilet trained, turns 3 on April 5th. Any chance that she may be allowed to use the kids program, given that she is only a matter of weeks from her 3rd birthday?

We will be travelling from March 3-10th onboard the Magic. My daughter, who is fully toilet trained, turns 3 on April 5th. Any chance that she may be allowed to use the kids program, given that she is only a matter of weeks from her 3rd birthday?

I don't know if you did a search for your answer or not, but there's a couple of (really lengthy) threads already going on this subject.

Currently, DCL is enforcing the ages in the kids clubs. This includes 2 year-olds who are potty trained. Previously, they were given a "trial run" in the Club and, if successful, were permitted to stay. Now, it's 3 & potty trained to be in the Club.

:cutie:

As of about 3 weeks ago, they have become totally strict. Whether there is any relaxation of the chronological age policy or not appears to be seen Stand by for further info.....:goodvibes

We will be traveling from March 3-10th onboard the Magic. My daughter, who is fully toilet trained, turns 3 on April 5th. Any chance that she may be allowed to use the kids program, given that she is only a matter of weeks from her 3rd birthday?

Like everyone has said Disney has stated they are going to be more strict on age breaks. I think the trouble they are having is more the 10 to 18 year olds. If I was you I would sign your daughter up just like she was 3 and let them tell you no.

The only problem with that is if you don't have time reserved in the nursery, you may have a problem getting the times that you need for Palo or an excursion once you are on the ship. I would plan on using the nursery and book the hours you need before the cruise. Once you board, talk to the youth supervisor to see about having her move up to the club. You would be able to cancel your nursery hours then.

Hmmm...looks like I will just have to wait and see. The only older posts I can find are from a while back, where there was no question that 2 year olds could use OC if they were trained. One person posted in one of these threads that they will still make concessions for kids that are within 30 days of their birthday.

The problem with siging her up as if she were a three year old is that you have to present a birth certificate or passport to board, and birthdates must match. IF not, they will deny you boarding. If you register her with her true birth date, you won't be able to signe her up for the kids clubs ahead of time. If they are not the right age, that option is greyed out on the menu. They will KNOW she is not yet 3, and assuming they are actually enforcing the age policy you won't be able to sign up onship either. If you don't go ahead and book nursery time, you may be completely out of luck. I would say count on her going to the nusery and hope to get her into the kids club.

Hmmm...looks like I will just have to wait and see. The only older posts I can find are from a while back, where there was no question that 2 year olds could use OC if they were trained. One person posted in one of these threads that they will still make concessions for kids that are within 30 days of their birthday.
I have seem people say they were told yes, and people say they were told no on this since the change in enforcement. I don't think there really is a way to know for sure untill you board.

We sailed the Magic Dec 3-10,2011. My DD is 2 1/2 fully self sufficient potty trained & she was denied into club except Flounders nursery. I was told if within 2 months of her 3rd b'day she could go however she will not be 3 until end of May. I would make arrangements for Flounders so you do not miss any time, that is what I had done ahead of time & thankful that I did.

Thanks for the advice everyone! I have booked some time at Flounders, just to ensure we have at least one leisurely dinner without kiddies, and I will play it by ear once we embark. I am curious to know if your Dec. 3 cruise was before or after the notice that Disney will be more strictly enforcing their age policies? My little one will be within 4 weeks of her 3rd birthday when we embark.

The primary intent of the changes that were made was to keep adults and unsupervised minors apart--i.e., no parents in the kids clubs during secured programming and no adults (18 and up) in the teen club. I have not seen this exact scenario addressed; there have been some reports of flexibility for older children (13.5 year old in the teen club). So I don't think it's a sure thing one way or the other.

You should keep in mind, though:

1) The 'old' policy was (at least per rumor) that kids within 30 days of a birthday could move up and down--based on the dates you gave, your daughter is ever so slighly out of that window.

2) There is always the theoretical (if unlikely) possibility that the clubs could be fully booked with children of the intended ages, leaving no extra space to accomodate your daughter.

Based on all of the above, I think it is wise to plan as if the clubs will not be an option, as you are doing.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter