how strict is cc on boat rentals?

kristen821

DIS Veteran<br><font color=blue>Everything taste b
My dd is 4.5 years old. I was planning on renting one of the boats to take the kids on, but saw a picture of the sign saying that min. age is 5. Is DCL strict on this or will they let the few months slide?

DCL is extremely strict when it comes to age requirements for excursions. It is due to insurance coverage. Perhaps your DD can enjoy Scuttles Cove while you take DS out for a little one on one time?

I do think it depends on the weather....we were on a double dip in July. During the first stop it was a very calm day, saw many people renting boats....during the second stop, still beautiful weather but very breezy and choppy....they were VERY picky about who could rent and there weren't that many out on boats
Barb

O.K. Thank you. I guess we'll either make it a father/son trip or Brittany will have to go to the kids club for a little bit.

I wouldn't give up - just see what they say at the beach when you are ready to rent....don't say anything to your daughter and she won't know if they say no
Renting boats is a whole lot different than an excursion, IMHO...it is nothing you have to plan ahead for - just walk up and ask!!!
Barb

Bumping this just to see if anyone has any more recent experiences. We are struggling with excursions and activities that our 4.5 year old can do also. DH really wants to take him out on a Hobie cat. Wondering if anyone has been able to, despite the 5 years and up requirement? (DH has sailing experience, that wont be the issue).

Bumping this just to see if anyone has any more recent experiences. We are struggling with excursions and activities that our 4.5 year old can do also. DH really wants to take him out on a Hobie cat. Wondering if anyone has been able to, despite the 5 years and up requirement? (DH has sailing experience, that wont be the issue).

As noted earlier, DCL is quite serious about ages limits on any excursions. It's totally a liability thing. And they will know your childs age. The system won't let you book anyone not the correct age on any excursion.

:cutie:

Do you actually book the boat rental like a typical excursion...with the names of any and all who might use it during the rental period?

As noted earlier, DCL is quite serious about ages limits on any excursions. It's totally a liability thing. And they will know your childs age. The system won't let you book anyone not the correct age on any excursion.

:cutie:

Yeah, I get it. Im not trying to skirt the rules, just trying to figure out if it is a guideline, or an enforced limit. Just curious and trying to get a feel for what others have experienced.

Renting a boat is not the same as a full fledged excursion. You do not preregister, you just walk up and say charge my account. First come first serve, depending on conditions, etc. There is a small area between the dock and the family beach that you stay in with them. The alloted time is a 1/2 hour, but if it is not crowded they sometimes extend that. My husband rented a Hobie before, when our oldest was 5 1/2 but doesnt remember them even asking about age. He also doesnt really remember them questioning his sailing experience, though that is "required" too.

Yeah, I get it. Im not trying to skirt the rules, just trying to figure out if it is a guideline, or an enforced limit. Just curious and trying to get a feel for what others have experienced.

Renting a boat is not the same as a full fledged excursion. You do not preregister, you just walk up and say charge my account. First come first serve, depending on conditions, etc. There is a small area between the dock and the family beach that you stay in with them. The alloted time is a 1/2 hour, but if it is not crowded they sometimes extend that. My husband rented a Hobie before, when our oldest was 5 1/2 but doesnt remember them even asking about age. He also doesnt really remember them questioning his sailing experience, though that is "required" too.

FYI, just to follow up, we walked up and the guy taking the KTTW card asked how old my youngest was. I forgot about the minimum and answered he is 4, going on 5. He said "I think I heard you say 5. Tell the guys down there he is 5".

Not trying to get anyone in trouble at all, but just wanted to pass on our experience! :rolleyes1

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter