• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

How strict are dining reservations on time?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was going to keep my mouth shut but couldn't...

Unfortunately the casualness of some people "it is what it is" is not an uncommon theme.

or that it is "your home" ,you do realize this is a marketing tag line and not meant as permission to hang laundry near the pool, do an oil change in the parking lot, or invite over friends and bring a charcoal grill to Storm-a-long Bay.

I will restrain from getting on a soapbox about common courtesy. Are wearing PJ's to breakfast the worse thing in the world, no but having consideration for others (even if you don't know them) is what is appropriate

Again with the generalization. No one is hanging laundry near the pool... :confused3

Again with the generalization. No one is hanging laundry near the pool... :confused3

You are missing or ignoring the point. You stated since it's "your home" to go to breakfast in PJ's would be acceptable. I am just stating that Home is a marketing phrase, there are many activities that you can choose to do at a real home.

If PJ's are acceptable for public wear at Disney the other activities are not much different since it is "your home"

There is just a expected level of common courtesy that most people in society choose to use. Changing into clothes is one of those expectations.

You are chosing to rationalize PJ's in a public environment because it is your "home" for that time. You also have chosen to rationalize that because you have 4 children you don't have time like other people to get everyone changed. Time is the same for everyone and usually just means making different allowances for how much time you need. Many people just don't agree with those rationalizations.

The word decorum is what comes to my mind in witnessing similar situations.

myxdvz said:
I am holding 2 reservations for Cape May because while I would like to see us make a 7:40am reservation, I doubt we can.

I have a 9:50 booking but that means we'll lose the whole morning.

We are staying at BCV. Is it rude to come to breakfast in our jammies?

Yes it is very rude. Get the kids up earlier to make it on time. Being a parent means you run the show not the kids.

Yup, they won't seat you unless the whole party is present. But the order of "check-in" makes a difference if they are busy. There have been times when we had to wait for others in front of us with reservation times later than us because they checked in first. So it really doesn't hurt to be 20-30mins early.

Obviously if you have a 9:50 reservation and check in at 8:50, they won't seat you at 8:50 ;)

Don't be sure.

We had a late character breakfast at Ohana one year. Showed up early, got seated an HOUR PAST our reservation time - all the characters were leaving - they hustled them by the table as the waitress was bringing our coffee.

No late character breakfasts for me ever again. That was easily the WORST Disney experience of our lives.

When we complained, they had issues with people staying far longer than scheduled, they'd overbooked - and the character actors all went off shift.

They won't even let you check in unless your whole party is there.

That totally sucks. We love late character breakfast reservations and have never had a problem. Then again I've never showed up an hour before. Possible you got lost in the shuffle since you were so early.

They won't even let you check in unless your whole party is there.

That totally sucks. We love late character breakfast reservations and have never had a problem. Then again I've never showed up an hour before. Possible you got lost in the shuffle since you were so early.

We were twenty minutes early. We were seated an hour and twenty minutes after we arrived.

And they didn't loose us as I kept walking up to the host stand and asking.

We ate at Boma for breakfast/brunch and it was 10:45 am and a family showed up in their PJs. We did a double take and thought it was weird since it was almost lunch time, but didn't think about it again. It didn't reflect badly on me it just made them look less than 'classy'. I was a little embarrassed for them. Maybe they didn't realize Boma was a nice restaurant?? They were not small kids either (mom, dad and teens).

IMO it's no different than wearing them to the parks, dinner or church.

No issues with me and DH. Not sure how many kids you have though :) But 4 kids? It could be a challenge.

Definitely a challenge to manage four kids!

This is not meant as a criticism, but may sound like one.

Your kids may feel uncomfortable when they realize that others are dressed up to meet the characters and get pictures taken. Lots of people go all out with dolling up little girls for character meals - princess dresses, etc. I know they are young but kids have feelings also, and it may be very apparent to the older ones that you didn't take the time to dress them like the other kids and make it a special memory for them.

Some folks will rationalize all day that pjs are okay, but if you want people to look at you, there are a couple of ways - stand out because you look great, or get the sneak peeks because you look sort of ridiculous and out of place. After all, it is what it is, lol!

I think you've already taken the first good step to go at a manageable hour.

Hope you and the kids all have a great time no matter which way you roll!

We were twenty minutes early. We were seated an hour and twenty minutes after we arrived.

And they didn't loose us as I kept walking up to the host stand and asking.

Sorry. I misread then. I thought you said you were an hour early. Either way that sucks.

Keep checking on a daily basis to see if you can get an 8, 8:30 ADR instead. They pop-up all the time. That way you won't feel like you've lost the day.

I understand getting 4 kids ready alone, but I travel alone with my 3 and still don't go down to continental breakfast w/o a quick change. Doesn't mean 100% for the day, just short and tee + flip flops instead of PJs. DS plays travel ball and DH has to work some weekends and I'm there solo with all 3 kids. It's not easy, but be prepared, and- they won't get syrup on the PJs - yuck!!

Have a great trip!

If I wore it to bed, I don't go out in public in it. Unless I need to go to the Emergency Room for an emergent medical need. That I have done. And most of those, I got dressed in regular clothes to leave for the ER.

So, if you sleep in yoga pants and a t-shirt, you don't wear them out in public. You put other clothing on that you did not sleep in.

It is being courteous to the other guests in the place.

Oh my, people. End the PJ debate. The OP has already stated she cancelled the early reservation so it is no longer an issue.

I would try to get there early and ask if you can be seated earlier.
I've done that to a several restaurants, and some did put us in earlier and some just flat out refuses.
So it wouldn't hurt to try :)
Have fun!

I would try to get there early and ask if you can be seated earlier.
I've done that to a several restaurants, and some did put us in earlier and some just flat out refuses.
So it wouldn't hurt to try :)
Have fun!
Or do what Le Cellier did to us when we asked to be seated earlier due to our Fast Pass times, simply forget to check us in at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter