How soon can i use when buying resale?

chriskim625

Earning My Ears
Ive spent ages researching and ive probably read almost everything possible on DVC and i am now preparing to make an offer through TTS.

The property i am looking at has a use year of August and has 200 points coming this year. I was wondering how soon i can use these points. i was hoping to go to disney in october... only 2 months after i receive those points. is this out of the question? too last minute? is it possible to make the reservation earlier since i dont have points coming until august?

appreciate any help :)

It will take at least 60 days to close and get listed as the member. October is a pretty busy time for DVC members, so you might not have any availability.

we are putting in an offer tomorrow.
who knows how that'll end up. but just assuming it takes 2 months from now to get to closing it would be before august. i guess if october is busy though it wouldnt matter though.

what would be the best way to get october reservations then?

You can't make a reservation until you're officially in the system, so if you are looking at a two month window (which is probably best-case) BCV, BWV, VWL and BLT would almost certainly be gone. You might, possibly, find something at AKV, OKW or SSR.

that gives me some hope... i was hoping for SSR
we are trying to vacation with our friends who will be staying there

SSR and OKW are usually the last resorts to completely book unless DVD is offering Developer points at SSR. In the past Developer points have caused SSR to also fill up early.

I have read that some people have been hearing about ROFR in just a week so there is a chance that you could get through the whole process in a month. When I bought in January, ROFR took about 16 days and we were closed in 28 days from when we made the offer.

If that happens, you would be able to make the reservation as soon as you are in the Disney system (that took me another week).

You don't have to wait until your UY starts to book. Booking can be done up to 11 months at your home resort, and 7 months at other resorts. You just have to have the points at time of travel. So, if you are in Disney's system before August 1st, you can call and try to book a stay.

Depending on when in October you are going, I think there is a chance you will be able to get a reservation somewhere!!

Good luck!!

You don't have to wait until your UY starts to book. Booking can be done up to 11 months at your home resort, and 7 months at other resorts. You just have to have the points at time of travel. So, if you are in Disney's system before August 1st, you can call and try to book a stay.

Thanks Sandisw! That was what i was really asking i guess... whether i had to wait until my UY to actually make the reservation or if i could make it prior to that date if i get in the system before the UY.
Thanks again!

We just completed a purchase at OKW two weeks ago. Once the closing documents were in Disney hands it took another 7-10 days for us to show in the system. Our member number was there first and then in 2 days our points arrived. We called everyday after 2pm to check our account. The CM at MS said the resale info was not loaded until after 2pm each day. But once the points were there we booked immedately for our trip. We still have not gotten our membership cards but who cares they did the ressie wihtout it. Total time from offer for property to making ressie was about 4 weeks. Good luck.:tink:

Ive spent ages researching and ive probably read almost everything possible on DVC and i am now preparing to make an offer through TTS.

The property i am looking at has a use year of August and has 200 points coming this year. I was wondering how soon i can use these points. i was hoping to go to disney in october... only 2 months after i receive those points. is this out of the question? too last minute? is it possible to make the reservation earlier since i dont have points coming until august?

Chriskim625
Good chance if you purchase that you will close prior to the 8 week estimate. Disney will generally have your membership established about 7 days after closing at which time you can make a reservation. I think you will have no problem making a reservation at SSR. Good Luck!

Scot

In addition to the advice already offered, you can make the reservation immediately once you are in the DVC system - you do not need to wait until August if your closing can happen sooner and get you into the system. Reservations can always be made 11 months ahead at your home resort and 7 months ahead for other resorts based on the points that will be available at the time of the reservation. If you had closed last week you could already make a reservation for October using points from your August Use Year.

Good luck! :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter