How should I let my mom know that I added her to our Disney cruise?

allboyz

Mouseketeer
My family of 5 is going on a Disney cruise in November. I decided to add my mom as a Mother's Day/Birthday gift to her. Every time I would talk about the cruise she said how much she wished she could go. She said she has never been out of the country. Anyway, yesterday I was thinking about how much she would enjoy the cruise and how great it would be to have her there. So I have decided to add her to the cruise. How should I give her the news? Thanks for any suggestions.

Cynthia

Mother's Day is coming up. Maybe for a present you can get a toy boat or wooden boat and paint the ships name on it and then attach a boarding pass with her name on it. Of course it wouldn't be the actual boarding pass but you could make up a cute and colorful on on the computer and print it out.

There are tons of great DISigns on the DISigns section of the DIS boards. You could have one custome made with your Mom's name and make her a t-shirt by just printing the design onto iron-on transfer paper. Maybe put the t-shirt into a gift pack with suscreen and other items that she may need. You could even put it all into a plastic pail, like those you play with at the beach. I know that my local dollar store has tons of summer/beach items. If not a t-shirt, then maybe onto one of the canvas bags that you can get at Michael's. You could also print up some of the magnets for her door on the cruise.

You could also give her items from the different ports that you will be going to. For example, if your cruise stops at Key West, give her a key lime pie.

Check out the link below. The DISigner (mcraft17) has some cute cruise DISigns that you could have your Mom's name put on, as well as others in your family.
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?p=24673929#post24673929

I would have a blast giving someone a surprise trip like that. Have fun and let us know how it goes.

I say you give her the completed passport application form as your Mother's Day present...

You could send her DCL post cards if you have any.
I did this for my mom and mentioned Magical times when she boarded the Magic and then I signed it from the Cast and Crew of the Disney Magic.
---but she caught on as she knew my hand writing.
Enjoy your time with her because my mom just recently passed on and she gave me and Dan such Magical memories of our voyage.

Scott

I say you give her the completed passport application form as your Mother's Day present...

Oh my god.... this is SCARY!!!:scared: :scared: Too funny!!!
That is what we just Did!!! ( for her birthday this weekend!!):rotfl2:

We too are a family of 5 who just returned from our first cruise, and booked another one onboard for April 2009 . When we came home to tell her about it
( she's my Mother-in law) she commented on how great it must be to travel like that. She has never been ANYWHERE and has not had a very good year health wise, so I went ahead and added her to our reservation. For her birthday this weekend, I filled out a passport application form for her ( I knew she would have trouble with it anyway) and put it in her card. She was so surprised!
I know having something to look forward to will help her get through some tests she has been undergoing. This is the first time she has ever commented on our trips and I could tell she is thinking her time is limited as to when she will be able to travel ( she has alot of trouble with her legs and feet). She is a bit apprehensive, but I am so glad to be able to take her with us. We booked 2 connecting Secret porthole rooms, so the boys and my husband can stay in one , and her and I can have some "girl bonding" time in the other room.We will probably do 5 days in Disney before too, if all goes as planned.

Let us know what you do!!!

Oh my god.... this is SCARY!!!:scared: :scared: Too funny!!!
That is what we just Did!!! ( for her birthday this weekend!!):rotfl2:

:thumbsup2 Great minds....;) I'm glad to hear it worked well, just seemed like a natural thing to me (ie something I'd do....:lmao: ), and I'm all about the surprises....after all DW didn't know about our first cruise until she woke up in the car on the bridge approaching the port....

With this being the 100 year anniversary of Mother's Day AND so many of us without mothers to share this precious anniversary, I have to say to all of you that have taken/or going to take your moms and mom in laws with you to make memories with your families is worth more in thoughts than the monies spent.
My deepest respect go out to each of you.
as always
Shirley

If I had a flowers for each time I thought of my mom, I would forever walk in my garden of flowers
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------anonymous

I want to thank all of you for the wonderful tips! My mom lives in another state but we talk every single day for hours. I tell her just about everything and it was so hard to keep it from her today. I'm going to have to seriously limit my time talking to her until I select one of your great ideas! :) Thanks again!

A bit corny, but... Have the kids make a paper chain counter to fill the box. Put the card, passport appl, save the date card in the bottom of the box. Hopefully, you could present it in person so that you can take pic of her reaction. Maybe to make the chain more special, have the kids write on each link thinking of you, miss you, love you, happy 4th of July, last day of school... you get the idea.

We just surprised my MIL. DD made her a card with the itinerary listed inside. We wrapped the DCL planning kit. She was very surprised!

:)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter