How seriously should I take our port time?

persimmondeb

DIS Veteran
We're on a three day on the Magic later this month. I just did the online check in, and the earliest port time I could get was 1:30-2:00. I had to call for something else, and I asked if there was any way to change it and was told no. Any compelling reason not to turn up early? The cast member on the phone claimed they had couches and videos and character meet and greets in the terminal. I don't mind cooling my heels for a little while if there's a chance we can board earlier. I use a cane, but we don't need wheelchair assist, so I'm not sure if we're handicap board or not.

We're on a three day on the Magic later this month. I just did the online check in, and the earliest port time I could get was 1:30-2:00. I had to call for something else, and I asked if there was any way to change it and was told no. Any compelling reason not to turn up early? The cast member on the phone claimed they had couches and videos and character meet and greets in the terminal. I don't mind cooling my heels for a little while if there's a chance we can board earlier. I use a cane, but we don't need wheelchair assist, so I'm not sure if we're handicap board or not.

They usually have open boarding starting around 12:30 or so. I'd recommend you show up at 12:30. You will most likely encounter little or no lines to check in and be able to walk right on without much or any wait.

If you show up at the time the terminal opens, you are likely to be asked to wait until your selected PAT or such time as the terminal is less busy. As noted, arriving around 12:30 is generally after (or close to) Open Boarding has been announced, and you can generally just walk in then, with no issue.

Don't think DCL does a special handicapped boarding.

You can keep an eye on your online check in - sometimes earlier window open as people change their minds, or cancel the cruise.

It's not something we've seen. It would probably not be a bad idea as the crowds near the ears (at least in PC) are rude and ruthless when boarding starts.
That's always the kind of thing I'm afraid of. I don't actually have a lot of mobility issues, but I lose my footing fairly easily if I'm bumped. Especially if a surface is slippery, uneven, or moving. I'll be careful. I suppose I could ask for wheelchair assist if it's really the Wild West, but I feel ridiculous in one. I can walk a couple of miles with the cane.

Friends of ours had 2:30 boarding time, got there shortly after 11, first time cruisers and were onboard 11:45am. This was 2/4 in Port Canaveral. You could always take a chance like they did. It was only a three night cruise, so a few extra hours were important to them and it worked in their favor.

I have mobility issues and used my cane on the Magic a few weeks ago. We arrived at 12:30 (Miami) and it was open boarding at that time so we could go at our own pace, which made me feel more comfortable. I'd rather do it that way than arrive early and have to wait and then deal with lines. Have a great trip!

Op keep in mind that official boarding starts at 1 (sometimes before but not guaranteed), so if you arrive at your 1:30 PAT you should be just fine.

That's always the kind of thing I'm afraid of. I don't actually have a lot of mobility issues, but I lose my footing fairly easily if I'm bumped. Especially if a surface is slippery, uneven, or moving. I'll be careful. I suppose I could ask for wheelchair assist if it's really the Wild West, but I feel ridiculous in one. I can walk a couple of miles with the cane.

DMIL used a wheel chair for airports and boarding the ship. While she was able to pre-board planes, she was never offered the chance to pre-board any ships on any of the 5 cruise lines she sailed.

DMIL used a wheel chair for airports and boarding the ship. While she was able to pre-board planes, she was never offered the chance to pre-board any ships on any of the 5 cruise lines she sailed.

On Carnival with my Dad, who uses a walker and has much more significant issues than I do, we boarded with the other handicapped passengers and it was very early in the process. On Celebrity we were in a separate line, but we didn't arrive that early and we'd have had priority board anyway because we were Aqua class on that one, and we really were just boarding with everyone else. None of these were at Port Canaveral, though, so it may vary a lot by line and terminal.

It sounds like we might as well turn up early, and may be able to get on board before our scheduled time. If not, we'll just sit around for awhile. Hopefully it won't be too batty.

Thank you all so much for your responses.

I just did the online check in, and the earliest port time I could get was 1:30-2:00. I had to call for something else, and I asked if there was any way to change it and was told no.

Go back in and make sure everything is correct in your online checkin. I can't remember exactly where the problem can be, but sometimes people choose the wrong option in how they are getting to the airport, which causes the system to give a way later PAT than it does once the problem is corrected.

Our boarding time was 1:00-1:30 but the hotel shuttle was at 9:45. We had no choice. So we got there and just got in line with everyone else. No one said anything about not being there between 1:00 and 1:30. We had to wait, which is fine. We ended up boarding the ship around 12:00 ish.

We usually show up between 12:30-1:30 because we take transfers from WDW. When we get there, there is no one in line and few people in the terminal. Around 12:30 would probably be the best time for you to arrive. You won't have to fight crowds, stand in long lines or wait to board because it's likely open boarding by then. You can take your time and not have to worry about getting bumped or pushed.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter