• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

How scary is Space Mountain?

mawatcha

Mouseketeer
I am pretty scared of fast rides, Jungle Cruise and Peter Pan's Flight are enough action for me :).

Over the last few years I have gotten better, in January I did Expedition Everest and did enjoy it. Space Mountain is one I'd like to try but would like to hear some thoughts on it. What scares me is not being able to see what's coming and drops...

I'm returning in December, worth experiencing or am I better off just enjoying The PeopleMover?

Thanks!

If memory serves me right. In my first edition of Disney Trivial Pursuit, it said the monorail actually hits higher speeds than Space Mountain.

It's a dark ride and you sit individually. It's bumpy and you can't really see where you are going.

I think EE is scarier, but less bumpy and faster.

EE is a more intense coaster, but SM jerks me around more. I can't do SM over and over like I can EE. I do find that riding in the front helps.

I've done all sorts of coasters but the thing that scares me about this one is that's in the dark and your body can't "prepare" for the next dip. Plus its so jerky. Kind of scary in my opinion for those reasons. It won't stop me for doing it though for a "good rush" of adrenaline.

It isn't that fast or scary, but as those above have stated, it's BUMPY/JERKY. For me this is a very uncomfortable roller coaster. This is one of two in the parks that I avoid (the other being Primeval Whirl).

I loved both Space and EE, the thing that would get me on Space was I was always expecting the next move to be the opposite of what it was. We went three times during our trip and even on the third I still found myself anticipating wrong (I didn't even realize I anticipated until it went the other way and I was like ughh, wrong way LOL).

That pretty much defines what Space Mountain is.

I'd suggest not riding it.

Space Mountain doesn't have any drops. However, it's true that you can't see where you're going. And, as other posters have noted, it is not at all a smooth ride. I try to brace my feet on either side of the vehicle to minimize getting tossed around so much.

I've done all sorts of coasters but the thing that scares me about this one is that's in the dark and your body can't "prepare" for the next dip. Plus its so jerky. Kind of scary in my opinion for those reasons. It won't stop me for doing it though for a "good rush" of adrenaline.

This. If it scares you not to be able to see dips and turns, then Space MOuntain may not be for you. 2Gma is correct that you can't prepare or brace at all for what is coming up next. Admittedly it isn't particularly high, but it does go pretty fast and it is very jerky and bumpy. Expedition Everest is a longer roller coaster with much smoother motion. The two are quite different experiences. You'll have to make your own decision about whether or not to ride.

EE was a LOT scarier for me due to the backwards portion. I do find Space a bit bumpy and scary in that you feel like you might careen off the track at any minute....but there aren't a lot of physical threads. I am the BIGGEST RIDE WIMP and love Space.

I was considering going on Space Mountain too this trip. What made up my mind to try it was watching videos on Youtube that show the ride being ridden with the lights on. It made me realize that it really isn't that bad, just more scary because its dark.

I am the same as you, I don't like the crazy stuff at all!!! But some friends made me go on one time. Am I glad I did it, yes. Will I do it again, no. There were one big drop I remember. My eyes were closed most of the time, but I yelled though it and tried to have fun. Just not my cup of tea, just glad to say I did it, but don't need to do it again. I think the worst part was the anticipation standing in line waiting to get on the ride. LOL. Good luck with your decision.

My dad also likes being able to see what's coming up on roller coasters, so for Space Mountain he prefers to sit as far back as possible. Definitely not the first seat for him. That way he can see the people in front of him and can sort of tell what is about to happen.

For me, the jerkiness can be a problem. Sometimes I'm fine and sometimes I'm not. I went on it last week and ended up with a headache. But I still enjoy riding Space Mountain. And so does my dad. :)

I am pretty scared of fast rides, Jungle Cruise and Peter Pan's Flight are enough action for me :).

Over the last few years I have gotten better, in January I did Expedition Everest and did enjoy it. Space Mountain is one I'd like to try but would like to hear some thoughts on it. What scares me is not being able to see what's coming and drops...

I'm returning in December, worth experiencing or am I better off just enjoying The PeopleMover?

Thanks!

I'm going to try Space Mountain per my response above but I'm scared to try Expedition Everest. Maybe I should be asking YOU for advice on how scary that ride is! :confused3

This has been a few years but when I rode in the very front seat, I could really make out the outline of the track so I could see what was coming up. I don't know if its darker now (this was 2012) but if not, try the front.

I just watched a video of the ride. Haven't been on it but was planning on hitting it at Rope Drop on one of our MK days with 4 youngish kids (all tall enough). Not sure what the draw is. Seems to have very little theme-ing at least on the ride itself and it is just dark most of the time.

How does a roller coaster not have drops?

When it's not constructed with drops, it doesn't have drops. I'm not sure what you mean. Big Thunder doesn't have drops either.

Maybe it depends on your definition of the word "drop." If you consider any downward movement to be a "drop," then yes, it has drops. I think of drops more like what is contained on EE, not Space or Big Thunder.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter