How scary is Halloween at Hong Kong Disneyland??

PearlElpis

Earning My Ears
Have anyone gone to HKDL during Halloween? I'm thinking about going to HKDL for Halloween but wondering if it's going to be too scary for my 4-yr old. :rolleyes2 Is the Halloween event only at night? Can I still bring my kid to enjoy the park during the late afternoon? Do they still have the normal fireworks or is it going to be Halloween theme fireworks? Any tips/advice/comments is appreciated!

Thanks in advance ^^

I haven't been to HKDL at Halloween time before, but I'm going to go ahead and say that the Halloween party will be too scary for your 4 year old. HK's party is scary scary like Universal's, not cute scary like DLR's or WDW's.

I imagine that, much like DLR or WDW, you would be free to enjoy the park's offerings as usual during the day (not sure whether there is much Halloween decor etc), and clear out in the late afternoon/early evening before the party starts if you do not have a ticket.

I imagine that on non-party nights, they will have the normal fireworks display. I'm guessing that the Halloween display will be a party exclusive to attract more people to the hard ticket events.

I've gone during Halloween. It is only scary in the mazes that you must queue for and enter of your own choosing. It is not scary just walking around the park like Universal or Knott's Scary Farm. I like it because it is a mix of cute and scary.

So I'd say yes, you can bring your 4 year-old, but maybe not inside the mazes. We were behind a family of 4 with young kids in one of the mazes and the entire family was so scared they were walking around hugging in a circle.

During the day, there will be games to play in the Grizzly Gulch area. Easy Autumn Fair type things and the prize will be... what else? Stickers! The mazes are open during the day. Again, they are completely avoidable if you want. There will be some Halloween themed food, especially dessert, in the parks. The bakery on Main Street willl have Halloween stuff. There's a cafe on Main Street that has a Halloween High Tea. There are popcorn buckets with a plastic trick or treat carrier to hold the popcorn. The Enchanted Garden at HKDL Hotel has a Halloween themed dinner buffet. I am pretty sure Mickey and Minnie are dressed up for the season for photos.

At night, on Main Street there are people in some kind of Victorian animal type costumes walking around, posing for photos. About every 30 minutes or so they do a little choreographed dance. These costumed characters (I want to say they were werwolves? Cats? It was hard to tell.) do NOT go up to random guests and try to scare them. They do their dance and then they are available for photos and will pose in a "scary"way, but only if you seek them out.

There is a short parade with Jack Skellington that is cute. I don't remember fire works. There is a VERY minimal trick or treating. If you have been to the party in the US, it is nothing like that. There are like 4 stations with candy or stickers. There are places to take photos set up as well throughout the park. There is no extra ticket for the party. It is all one cost.

I hope that helps.:)

Thank you for your reply, CaliBear! My 4-yr-old DS is on the squirmish side when comes to scary stuff. It helps a lot to know that the cast members in Halloween costumes aren't running up to people and trying to scare them like the ones at Universal (in the US). Halloween theme food sounds like a lot of fun. I wish they also had Halloween fireworks, but I guess you can't have everything. :rotfl:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter