• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

How Restrictive Will Resale Get?

It just seems like such a risk right now. We were very seriously considering buying at the end of last year but now, I just don't trust DVC. Has trust ever been this bad before? Or have you all bought in knowing the risks?
I would say it seems like there are risks now. If you want to be able to book all the L14 resorts, I would go ahead and buy resale now because we don't know just what Disney will do in the future. Everyone, or a lot of posters will say buy where you want to stay, but there are some people like myself who would not like to have to stay at the same resort every single visit, no matter where I owned.

It just seems like such a risk right now. We were very seriously considering buying at the end of last year but now, I just don't trust DVC. Has trust ever been this bad before? Or have you all bought in knowing the risks?
There have always been risks associated with buying into DVC; however, for years, the basics remained the same and Disney did little fiddling with the system. You were an owner, period, be it via resale or direct (we've done both). And there have always been many voices telling people to understand that, in the end, all you are truly guaranteed is a place to call home that gets you a minimum of an advanced 30 day window to book. When new resorts were built, they tended to fit an actual theme and their ambiance reflected such. A few years ago, Disney decided to start rearranging the system to better fit their profit profile, all within legal guidelines it would appear. However, the ill will some of those changes caused has, in turn, made potential buyers and long-time owners feel as if the whole DVC thing is riskier than before. Part of that feeling is due to actual change; part of it is due to the speed with which so many new ideas, restrictions, and builds have happened. With the increasingly diverse new resorts, the overall thematic resonance for which Disney was well known has been watered down--there's a certain symmetry and generic tone anymore. The new builds have also, at least indirectly, led to skyrocketing prices per point which inherently makes DVC more of a risk. Finally, the restrictions on resale buyers has ramped up the past few years with the latest crowning touch being the new rules at Riviera announced a couple of weeks ago. So, yes, we knew the risks buying 15 years ago, but the purchase does seem even riskier now. It's not that Disney has operated outside of laws and regulations so much as they have forged ahead like a bull figuring people will still fall all over themselves to buy in. They may be correct, but I certainly wouldn't buy given the current state of DVC and how it looks it might be going forward.

There have always been risks associated with buying into DVC; however, for years, the basics remained the same and Disney did little fiddling with the system. You were an owner, period, be it via resale or direct (we've done both). And there have always been many voices telling people to understand that, in the end, all you are truly guaranteed is a place to call home that gets you a minimum of an advanced 30 day window to book. When new resorts were built, they tended to fit an actual theme and their ambiance reflected such. A few years ago, Disney decided to start rearranging the system to better fit their profit profile, all within legal guidelines it would appear. However, the ill will some of those changes caused has, in turn, made potential buyers and long-time owners feel as if the whole DVC thing is riskier than before. Part of that feeling is due to actual change; part of it is due to the speed with which so many new ideas, restrictions, and builds have happened. With the increasingly diverse new resorts, the overall thematic resonance for which Disney was well known has been watered down--there's a certain symmetry and generic tone anymore. The new builds have also, at least indirectly, led to skyrocketing prices per point which inherently makes DVC more of a risk. Finally, the restrictions on resale buyers has ramped up the past few years with the latest crowning touch being the new rules at Riviera announced a couple of weeks ago. So, yes, we knew the risks buying 15 years ago, but the purchase does seem even riskier now. It's not that Disney has operated outside of laws and regulations so much as they have forged ahead like a bull figuring people will still fall all over themselves to buy in. They may be correct, but I certainly wouldn't buy given the current state of DVC and how it looks it might be going forward.

Very well put. Thanks for your insight!

Everyone, or a lot of posters will say buy where you want to stay, but there are some people like myself who would not like to have to stay at the same resort every single visit, no matter where I owned.

However, would you recommend "buy where you least want to stay"?

I think the point of "buy where you want to stay", is more "buy where you would be most happy staying if nothing else becomes available at 7 months".

I think the point of "buy where you want to stay", is more "buy where you would be most happy staying if nothing else becomes available at 7 months".

Funny you should mention that. we own at AKV and BLT, and we love our two home resorts. As a matter of fact, you will usually find us at one of the two, but we have spent our share of trips at mostly OKW and certainly SSR. A lot. Why? It's fairly easy to book at 7 months most of the year with a few exceptions. I am different than most that have "worked the boards" for a number of years, in that I truly buy into the mindset of "Buy where you would be satisfied to stay at 7 months if nothing else is available."

All the DVC resorts, yes, even SSR; have their own little nuances and niches, and they are all special in their own special way. I can honestly say that we would be happy anywhere, but you grow familiar and more "at home" with some over others over time. While it may be hard to know the answer to that question without having the advantage of having stayed at all of them first, as I suspect is the category most DVC members fall into, you can tell if you've at least visited the resorts which ones will likely appeal to you most. Trust that instinct and buy somewhere you'd be satisfied staying at and I suspect it will make you happy at the same time.

I hope that makes sense. We only have two properties to go to be able to say we have tried them all. CCV and BWV. I'm sure we'll get into BWV. Eventually. One day. Maybe. Probably. :D And I'm sure we'll love it, but I'm perfectly content anywhere. It's all home to me now, each place in its own unique way.

No what I meant was for her to buy into resale now if she wants the opportunity to use the other resorts before the possibility of what DVC might restrict in the future. I was also trying to say that many people will say buy where you want to stay, but for me, personally, I will like to try out most of the resorts so I just went with OKW.

No what I meant was for her to buy into resale now if she wants the opportunity to use the other resorts before the possibility of what DVC might restrict in the future. I was also trying to say that many people will say buy where you want to stay, but for me, personally, I will like to try out most of the resorts so I just went with OKW.

We were so close to buying before Christmas, but then those maintenance fees scared us away. We're Canadian, so conversion rate sucks too. As a family of five we'd have to buy somewhere that affords us the most room options. I don't think I'd want to buy somewhere where we have to get at least a one bedroom. We currently rent the studios for 5 (our kids are all under 7 years old.)

My family & I are not big Disney fans like many people on this board are, so we started with a small resale contract when we bought 2 or 3 years ago. I have always pondered about buying some direct points to become a "full" member and was looking forward to when Riviera would go on sale. The latest restriction obviously put a stop to that idea (mostly because I don't think I would hold that contract for the full 50 years). However, the recent trend of putting more and more onerous resale restrictions have gotten me to start pondering selling my current contract as the very next restriction on whatever it may be can very well have a significant negative impact on my current contract's value. I realize timeshares in general should be considered sunk cost and I shouldn't count on ever recouping it. However, I honestly thought DVC is different and a legitimate exit strategy (decent resale value) definitely played a role in my decision to purchase. I believe the current trend will likely continue and get worse as long as it's allowable by law.

LAX

Yep that makes sense to.

I just meant the whole point of the OP was how restrictive DVC might become. Not just possible DVC window changes etc, but flooding further points into L14 etc.

To hedge against that, I recommend buying where you would be happiest if stuck with few if any options. Not simply buying anything assuming switching at 7 months.

However it may work perfectly fine as well. I simply won't recommend that approach. Esp when the concern in the OP is about restriction concerns.

Likewise if there is an OP saying they dont care in least how restrictive DVC becomes, because they dont care where they stay (they will take anything because they like them all) I will say buy the cheapest one.

Last edited:
Yep that makes sense to.

I just meant the whole point of the OP was how restrictive DVC might become. Not just possible DVC window changes etc, but flooding further points into L14 etc.

To hedge against that, I recommend buying where you would be happiest if stuck with few if any options. Not simply buying anything assuming switching at 7 months.

However it may work perfectly fine as well. I simply won't recommend that approach. Esp when the concern in the OP is about restriction concerns.

Likewise if there is an OP saying they dont care in least how restrictive DVC becomes, because they dont care where they stay (they will take anything because they like them all) I will say buy the cheapest one.

It's definitely given me a different perspective on WHERE to buy, should we ever buy resale. I always assumed we'd go with the cheapest, but with these new restrictions, I'd be much more concerned with buying at our favorite (Beach Club), because I'd never be dissapointed staying there.

It's definitely given me a different perspective on WHERE to buy, should we ever buy resale. I always assumed we'd go with the cheapest, but with these new restrictions, I'd be much more concerned with buying at our favorite (Beach Club), because I'd never be dissapointed staying there.
Good idea. Truly, those who bought not particularly caring where they stayed and who have been able to get into a resort at 7 months have a system that works for them. We've mostly had success at the 7-month point over the years, though not always and a couple of times we've had to stitch together split stays. We've always intended to try all the resorts, and save for a couple, we have. (It HAS gotten more difficult over the past few years to get certain resorts at 7 months, though.) Still, for us, we adore the Lodge and it holds a special meaning for us. We wanted a place where we knew beyond a shadow of doubt that we'd enjoy regardless of any availability elsewhere, and that was VWL. While we've enjoyed our stays at SSR and OKW and will likely visit them again, neither is a resort at which we'd wish to repeatedly stay. However, there are many for whom location simply does not matter, so certainly finding the best, cheapest contract would work.

And any changes or not, Riviera and Reflections will add thousands more looking for BCV at 7 months.

Good idea. Truly, those who bought not particularly caring where they stayed and who have been able to get into a resort at 7 months have a system that works for them. We've mostly had success at the 7-month point over the years, though not always and a couple of times we've had to stitch together split stays. We've always intended to try all the resorts, and save for a couple, we have. (It HAS gotten more difficult over the past few years to get certain resorts at 7 months, though.) Still, for us, we adore the Lodge and it holds a special meaning for us. We wanted a place where we knew beyond a shadow of doubt that we'd enjoy regardless of any availability elsewhere, and that was VWL. While we've enjoyed our stays at SSR and OKW and will likely visit them again, neither is a resort at which we'd wish to repeatedly stay. However, there are many for whom location simply does not matter, so certainly finding the best, cheapest contract would work.

Spot on for us as well. Although BCV/BWV are still our go to (have both in the next 2 months) and some BLT, we do have and love VWL though as well-its spectacular, just a bit removed for us. Never a disappointment in the least.

We are a Canadian family of 5 as well. I also feel the painful exchange rate. We bought SSR first as we can only travel during school breaks & will not ever be participating in fall frenzy.

Summer (especially late Aug) & March break are fairly open at 7 months for now. We cannot fit into a studio at SSR, but a 1 bd will sleep 5 (with an air mattress). Should things become more competitive at 7 months we’ll be happy at SSR. Turns out we really like it (especially the pools). We bought without actually setting foot on property, so lucky break there.

We are, however, total BC fans (I love it there and it’s my favourite resort). The 2042 end date was a tough pill to swallow, but it’s only going to get tougher to book going forward.

We stayed at BCV in a studio a few years ago when the kids were 7, 7, & 9 and we survived but I’ll avoid that again if possible. We are tall people - my 11 year old is already 5’3”. Larger contracts go for less at BCV so we settled on a contract that we could get a 2bd. I would recommend going into a BCV purchase with that in mind. Good luck with your decision!

Last edited:
We were so close to buying before Christmas, but then those maintenance fees scared us away. We're Canadian, so conversion rate sucks too. As a family of five we'd have to buy somewhere that affords us the most room options. I don't think I'd want to buy somewhere where we have to get at least a one bedroom. We currently rent the studios for 5 (our kids are all under 7 years old.)

We have owned since 2004 and something to really consider is the studio will be very cramped for a week with 3 teenagers. For some reason we didn't think about them 10 years down the road.

As far as risk goes, I think the risk is much bigger now too because the initial buy in is much higher. We bought 500 points back in 2004/05 direct for about $89 a point. That was a bargain considering what the investment is today. We wouldn't have near the amount of points at today's price.

I do love owning my DVC. Interesting point too, we find it easier to get into other resorts at 7 months than we did back 10 years ago. It all depends on when you can go there and booking at 8 am.

Last edited:
Oh ya, I get the conversion rate thing. Had to deal a lot with that last year in Cayman.

We all know that many people buy on a whim while at the park. Many of these people regret buying after they find that they can't afford the loan payments and the maintenance fees. This will never change!
It is illogical for Disney to think they can totally control the resale market and the new purchaser market at the prices they are throwing out there.
Unless there is some alternative to Disney's outrageous prices the cash cow will stop giving milk. We will all suffer due to this policy.
I personally wouldn't buy into Disney at this point because the price point is way too high and there is no way out. I love Disney but not enough to
financially risk taking a chance at losing thousands of dollars.

I personally wouldn't buy into Disney at this point because the price point is way too high and there is no way out.

Are you talking cash rooms, or DVC?

I love Disney but not enough to financially risk taking a chance at losing thousands of dollars.

I do generally agree, and do feel the "great" times of DVC as an investment are past. Not that it was ever meant for that-it just turned out that way for many.

However, throwing down thousands every year on cash stays is also "losing thousands of dollars" every trip to WDW.

Last edited:
The answer to OP’s question, “How Restictive Will Resale Get?”, is very simple. It will get as restrictive as they are allowed to make it. They are constantly meeting with their legal team to figure out new restrictions. As it has been said over and over again, if they could avoid grandfathering in anyone, they would’ve already done it. Trust me, they’ve looked into it multiple times already. They want to drive direct sales and make them look as attractive as possible when compared to resales. Also realize, a buyer in 20 years isn’t going to care as much about the restrictions as a buyer does today. Those restrictions will have been in place for decades. It will just be the new normal at that point.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter