How recently have you bought gift cards at Target?

Mama Steph

DIS Veteran
THey are trying to tell me that the Red Card no longer takes 5% off of Entertainment cards.

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

Bought some today actually.

I assume the 5% discount worked?
This has been a pain dealing with them. Because of the breech, my checking account was closed and therefor I have no red card ( mine was a debit) until the new account is back up and running. Last week I asked the cashier if she could do the 5% manually and she was more than happy to do so. The following day I went to buy $1000 in gift cards and explained the skua ruin again. Manager was called and said she couldn't take the discount off the gift cards because the red cards don't. I politely explained that she was mistaken. She did do it but wasn't happy about it. Went back today to buy the last $1250 that I need for my trip. Same manager said that since I've done this before they were limiting the amount of cards I could buy. She said that they have the right to limit quantities of anything. She only let me but $300. Then dh said he wanted to buy $300 as well. I called corporate and was disconnected twice. The 3rd time I spoke to someone who wanted to verify my red card and research using it to but entertainment cards. She called back and said that it was a gray area but she was going to stand behind the store on this one.
I'm furious. Since the beginning of the breech, I have stood behind Target. I have believed that they are a stand up company and would take care of any issues. Today proved otherwise.

They're doing you a favor by giving you the discount without using a red card. You can apply for another one in store and get the discount.

They're doing you a favor by giving you the discount without using a red card. You can apply for another one in store and get the discount.
I understand that but we are in the middle of closing the old acct and opening a new one so I can't do it quite yet. And I don't really consider it much of a "favor" considering it was their fault. She wouldn't even let me buy them today without the 5% discount. So definitely no favor there.

I recall there was word of them not allowing it anymore, however, I have bought some as recent as 12/31 and it worked just fine. :thumbsup2

I bought a $1K today with my 5% and my 5% pharmacy rewards and it worked perfectly. The store was crazy busy so an assistant manager or manager one (name badge said manager) was filling in as a cashier.

"These will work with that?"

"Yes ma'am! I'm paying off my DVC dues with 'em."

"I didn't know that! I've got to tell my dad and husband to do this for our trip to Disney."

So, now they won't even let you buy any Disney GC at full price? WOW!

She limited me to $300!! I hadn't even taken 1/3 if what was in the store. She apparently has an issue with me.

I'm sorry that happened to you. I buy gift cards all the time and the cashiers are surprised that it works every time. Don't let the manager get you down. How long do you have to get the rest of the cards? I would just go to another store or go as soon as you get a new card and just do the transaction without saying anything. Sometimes people in retail can get a bit righteous and seem to think they are saving the world from something they think you shouldn't be able to do. So frustrating.

I assume the 5% discount worked?
This has been a pain dealing with them. Because of the breech, my checking account was closed and therefor I have no red card ( mine was a debit) until the new account is back up and running. Last week I asked the cashier if she could do the 5% manually and she was more than happy to do so. The following day I went to buy $1000 in gift cards and explained the skua ruin again. Manager was called and said she couldn't take the discount off the gift cards because the red cards don't. I politely explained that she was mistaken. She did do it but wasn't happy about it. Went back today to buy the last $1250 that I need for my trip. Same manager said that since I've done this before they were limiting the amount of cards I could buy. She said that they have the right to limit quantities of anything. She only let me but $300. Then dh said he wanted to buy $300 as well. I called corporate and was disconnected twice. The 3rd time I spoke to someone who wanted to verify my red card and research using it to but entertainment cards. She called back and said that it was a gray area but she was going to stand behind the store on this one.
I'm furious. Since the beginning of the breech, I have stood behind Target. I have believed that they are a stand up company and would take care of any issues. Today proved otherwise.

I understand that but we are in the middle of closing the old acct and opening a new one so I can't do it quite yet. And I don't really consider it much of a "favor" considering it was their fault. She wouldn't even let me buy them today without the 5% discount. So definitely no favor there.

She limited me to $300!! I hadn't even taken 1/3 if what was in the store. She apparently has an issue with me.

Closing the bank account and opening a new one was your choice of action. It wasn't what Target was recommending. They are advising Target debit card members to just change their PIN. I understand why you took the action that you did but it is not Target's fault that you've elected to do it.

IMO, the manager at your store was more than accommodating the first time when she extended the 5% discount to you when you didn't have a REDCard. To return repeatedly and expect the same courtesy each time smacks of an entitlement attitude. Yes, this might be a case of her just pushing back because you attempted to go over her head when you called corporate. Or it could be a case of her trying to limit her store's losses if she suspects that you are running some sort of scam. The manager is tasked with the responsibility of acting in the best interest of her store. It sounds as if she feels that cutting you off is necessary.

As a consumer, you have every right to take your business elsewhere when you feel mistreated. I don't feel that you have been mistreated by this manager. And corporate seems to support with her actions. If it had happened to me, I would be upset about losing the discount but I would accept it and move on.

I bought cards yesterday with my red card and a 5% pharmacy discount card. Both discounts worked.

I always buy at least one non gift card item with the gift cards. Even if it's just a gallon of milk or a box of bandaids from the $ spot it stops the cashier from questioning the transaction. Unnecessary I know but it's not like I won't use the items anyway.

Closing the bank account and opening a new one was your choice of action. It wasn't what Target was recommending. They are advising Target debit card members to just change their PIN. I understand why you took the action that you did but it is not Target's fault that you've elected to do it.

IMO, the manager at your store was more than accommodating the first time when she extended the 5% discount to you when you didn't have a REDCard. To return repeatedly and expect the same courtesy each time smacks of an entitlement attitude. Yes, this might be a case of her just pushing back because you attempted to go over her head when you called corporate. Or it could be a case of her trying to limit her store's losses if she suspects that you are running some sort of scam. The manager is tasked with the responsibility of acting in the best interest of her store. It sounds as if she feels that cutting you off is necessary.

As a consumer, you have every right to take your business elsewhere when you feel mistreated. I don't feel that you have been mistreated by this manager. And corporate seems to support with her actions. If it had happened to me, I would be upset about losing the discount but I would accept it and move on.

::yes:::thumbsup2

I got nervous and went to Target tonight to get my gift cards out of fear they were going to change the policy, I got $4000 worth of gift cards with my pharmacy rewards and my Red card discount for $3610 :banana:
no questions asked, register took discount off with no over ride needed, so I would say if the register takes it off…..they are eligible for discount

Last November I was told by a cashier that the limit was $300 per day. So I drove to another Target and was told nothing about a limit and I bought as many as I wanted, no questions asked. Then, In December I bought $500 from the same Target I was told there was a $300 limit, no problem. I guess it just depends who is your cashier. Lucky for us there are lots of Targets in our area. Planing on buying more with my Red card plus Pharmacy discount soon before the "deal" drys up!

I would say the days of being allowed to do this will soon end. Staples will not allow you to buy gift cards with rewards, which I thought was silly.

You can always buy them at Sam's although the discount is not as good.

Last November I was told by a cashier that the limit was $300 per day. So I drove to another Target and was told nothing about a limit and I bought as many as I wanted, no questions asked. Then, In December I bought $500 from the same Target I was told there was a $300 limit, no problem. I guess it just depends who is your cashier. Lucky for us there are lots of Targets in our area. Planing on buying more with my Red card plus Pharmacy discount soon before the "deal" drys up!

The "limit" thing seems iffy. My husband works for target and says that he really isn't supposed to get more then 5 or 6 cards at a time so that is what he does (which is no big deal to me... I mean he is there 5 days a week anyway!

I don't know if that limit though is becuase of his employee discount or the red card one, but between the two we will get the $950 for our dvc dues for $813. Would be more if we have the pharmacy rewards too but we rarely have prescriptions to fill

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter